Triple Boot (Windows XP, Solaris 10, Oracle Enterprise Linux) using Grub - Solaris

This is a discussion on Triple Boot (Windows XP, Solaris 10, Oracle Enterprise Linux) using Grub - Solaris ; Dear All, Previously i was having a machine with dual boot OS's: Windows XP SP2 and Solaris 10. I am having about 13 GB of free space on the HDD. Now i have installed the new Oracle Enterprise Unbreakable Linux ...

  1. Triple Boot (Windows XP, Solaris 10, Oracle Enterprise Linux) using Grub

    Dear All,
    Previously i was having a machine with dual boot OS's: Windows XP SP2
    and Solaris 10.
    I am having about 13 GB of free space on the HDD.
    Now i have installed the new Oracle Enterprise Unbreakable Linux
    (currently being distributed free by Oracle, yesterday i received two
    dvd's from Oracle) into this free space.
    Now it is a dual boot with Oracle Linux and Windows XP. Linux asked
    about other OS's while setting up OS and grub but i can't provide
    Solaris partition information at that time.

    At present the Logical Volume Management (GNome: system-config-lvm
    1.0.19 ) programs shows this information about Solaris partition.

    Partition 3
    /dev/sda3
    Size:9.77 GB
    Partition Type: Unknown
    Mount Point: Unmounted
    File System: No File System
    Not initializable:Foreign Boot Partition
    Mount Point when rebooted: None

    The Grub's grub.conf contents are as follows:

    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
    file
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd0,3)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda4
    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/sda
    default=2
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,3)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu
    title Enterprise (2.6.9-42.0.0.0.1.ELsmp)
    root (hd0,3)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.0.0.0.1.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
    quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-42.0.0.0.1.ELsmp.img
    title Enterprise-up (2.6.9-42.0.0.0.1.EL)
    root (hd0,3)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.0.0.0.1.EL ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-42.0.0.0.1.EL.img
    title Windows XP Professional SP2
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    I have saved the Solaris's grub file menu.lst on windows partition
    (now solaris is not accessible) and its contents are:

    #pragma ident "@(#)menu.lst 1.1 05/09/01 SMI"
    #
    # default menu entry to boot
    default 0
    #
    # menu timeout in second before default OS is booted
    # set to -1 to wait for user input
    timeout 5
    #
    # To enable grub serial console to ttya uncomment the following lines
    # and comment out the splashimage line below
    # WARNING: don't enable grub serial console when BIOS console serial
    # redirection is active!!!
    # serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
    # terminal serial
    #
    # Uncomment the following line to enable GRUB splashimage on console
    splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    #
    # To chainload another OS
    #
    # title Another OS
    # root (hd,)
    # chainloader +1
    #
    # To chainload a Solaris release not based on grub
    #
    # title Solaris 9
    # root (hd,)
    # chainloader +1
    # makeactive
    #
    # To load a Solaris instance based on grub
    #
    # title Solaris
    # root (hd,,x) --x = Solaris root slice
    # kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    # module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive
    #
    # To override Solaris boot args (see kernel(1M)), console device and
    # properties set via eeprom(1M) edit the "kernel" line to:
    #
    # kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot -B
    prop1=val1,prop2=val2,...
    #
    #---------- ADDED BY BOOTADM - DO NOT EDIT ----------
    title Windows XP Professional SP2
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    title Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86
    root (hd0,2,a)
    kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive
    #---------------------END BOOTADM--------------------
    #---------- ADDED BY BOOTADM - DO NOT EDIT ----------
    title Solaris failsafe
    root (hd0,2,a)
    kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -s
    module /boot/x86.miniroot-safe
    #---------------------END BOOTADM--------------------

    # Unknown partition of type 15 found on /dev/rdsk/c1d1p0 partition: 2
    # It maps to the GRUB device: (hd0,1) .

    Now I am asking how to update the Oracle Linux's grub.conf file so as
    to make the system triple boot.

    I tried by adding

    title Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86
    root (hd0,2,a)
    kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive

    at the end, but when chosen in the menu at the time of boot, it says
    'No such partition exists'

    How to refer /dev/sda3 (Solaris partition) in the grub.conf ( root
    (hd0,2,a) ???) ?

    Please help me in creation of grub.conf.
    Can i make it triple boot?

    Thanks in advance.

    -Sameer Shinde

  2. Re: Triple Boot (Windows XP, Solaris 10, Oracle Enterprise Linux) using Grub

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 01:36:42 -0700, Sameer wrote:

> [...]
    >title Solaris failsafe
    >root (hd0,2,a)
    >kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -s
    >module /boot/x86.miniroot-safe
    >#---------------------END BOOTADM--------------------
    >

    ># Unknown partition of type 15 found on /dev/rdsk/c1d1p0 partition: 2
    ># It maps to the GRUB device: (hd0,1) .
    >

    >Now I am asking how to update the Oracle Linux's grub.conf file so as
    >to make the system triple boot.
    >
    >I tried by adding
    >
    >title Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86
    >root (hd0,2,a)
    >kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    >module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive
    >
    >at the end, but when chosen in the menu at the time of boot, it says
    >'No such partition exists'
    >
    >How to refer /dev/sda3 (Solaris partition) in the grub.conf ( root
    >(hd0,2,a) ???) ?
    >
    >Please help me in creation of grub.conf.

    Try this:

    title Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    chainloader +1

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  3. Re: Triple Boot (Windows XP, Solaris 10, Oracle Enterprise Linux) using Grub

    On Jul 5, 5:29 pm, Bill Waddington
    wrote:
> [...]

    > >I tried by adding

    > >title Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86
    > >root (hd0,2,a)
    > >kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    > >module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive

    > >at the end, but when chosen in the menu at the time of boot, it says
    > >'No such partition exists'

    > >How to refer /dev/sda3 (Solaris partition) in the grub.conf ( root
    > >(hd0,2,a) ???) ?

    > >Please help me in creation of grub.conf.
    > >Can i make it triple boot?

    > Try this:
    >
    > title Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86
    > rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > William D Waddington
    > william.wadding...@beezmo.com
    > "Even bugs...are unexpected signposts on
    > the long road of creativity..." - Ken Burtch

    Thanks a lot! It Works!!!

    But after selection of solaris OS it presents the menu choice of grub
    which is there when pc was dual boot. Then i have to select Solaris
    from that choices.
    Can i directly start Solaris from first Grub menu?
    -Sameer

  4. Re: Triple Boot (Windows XP, Solaris 10, Oracle Enterprise Linux)using Grub

    Sameer wrote:
> [...]
    >>> 'No such partition exists'
    >>> How to refer /dev/sda3 (Solaris partition) in the grub.conf ( root
    >>> (hd0,2,a) ???) ?
    >>> Please help me in creation of grub.conf.
    >>> Can i make it triple boot?

    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> title Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86
    >> rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    >> chainloader +1
    >>
    >> Bill
    >> --
    >> William D Waddington
    >> william.wadding...@beezmo.com
    >> "Even bugs...are unexpected signposts on
    >> the long road of creativity..." - Ken Burtch

    > Thanks a lot! It Works!!!
    >
    > But after selection of solaris OS it presents the menu choice of grub
    > which is there when pc was dual boot. Then i have to select Solaris
    > from that choices.
    > Can i directly start Solaris from first Grub menu?

    If you install Solaris last, as suggested in most dual/tripple/quad boot
    docs on the net, then the Solaris grub will take care of all OS'es

  5. Re: Triple Boot (Windows XP, Solaris 10, Oracle Enterprise Linux) using Grub

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:35:54 GMT, "Thommy M."
    wrote:

    >Sameer wrote:
    >> On Jul 5, 5:29 pm, Bill Waddington
    >> wrote:
    >>> Try this:
    >>>
    >>> title Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86
    >>> rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    >>> chainloader +1

    >> Thanks a lot! It Works!!!
    >>
    >> But after selection of solaris OS it presents the menu choice of grub
    >> which is there when pc was dual boot. Then i have to select Solaris
    >> from that choices.
    >> Can i directly start Solaris from first Grub menu?

    >If you install Solaris last, as suggested in most dual/tripple/quad boot
    >docs on the net, then the Solaris grub will take care of all OS'es

    There may be a way to do this as installed. Solaris grub has been
    modifed to understand the Solaris FS but presumably Oracle's grub has
    not. Oracle's grub can't boot Solaris directly but the Solaris grub
    _may_ be able to boot both.

    If the Oracle grub is installed in the MBR, you are out of luck w/out
    a re-install of Solaris, or at least its bootloader. If the MBR is a
    "vanilla" one that just boots the first active partition, just set the
    Solaris partition active and add the Oracle Linux titles to the
    Solaris grub menu.lst.

    Personally, I try to keep things "simple" and just deal w/the
    chainloading. That way I don't have to modify OS A's menu.lst when
    I update OS B's kernel.

    (quoted signature snipped, but multi-posting not fixed...)

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  6. Re: Triple Boot (Windows XP, Solaris 10, Oracle Enterprise Linux) using Grub

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 05:46:57 -0700, Bill Waddington
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:35:54 GMT, "Thommy M."
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Sameer wrote:

    [major snippage]

    >>> Thanks a lot! It Works!!!
    >>>
    >>> But after selection of solaris OS it presents the menu choice of grub
    >>> which is there when pc was dual boot. Then i have to select Solaris
    >>> from that choices.
    >>> Can i directly start Solaris from first Grub menu?

    >>If you install Solaris last, as suggested in most dual/tripple/quad boot
    >>docs on the net, then the Solaris grub will take care of all OS'es

    (adding to my own gassy dissertation...)

    No argument there. That's certainly the easiest way - if Solaris
    install actually picks up other unixen's actual grub entries. Does
    it? I haven't tested that. Since Solaris usually makes the biggest
    mess out of the partition tables, I always try to get past that before
    doing anything else If it just sets them up to chainload, it's
    only a _little_ easier than a manual menu.lst edit.

    The "easier" part is that Solaris will set itself active so its grub
    menu is presented at boot tiem, and at least try to add entries to
    menu.lst for other OSs (I presume).

    Even if Linux installs come after Solaris, one can instruct them to
    install grub to their bootsectors and leave the MBR alone. (at least,
    RH installs allow this) and manually add their grub stanzas to the
    Solaris menu.lst, or just chainload them.

    >There may be a way to do this as installed. Solaris grub has been
    >modifed to understand the Solaris FS but presumably Oracle's grub has
    >not. Oracle's grub can't boot Solaris directly but the Solaris grub
    >_may_ be able to boot both.
    >
    >If the Oracle grub is installed in the MBR, you are out of luck w/out
    >a re-install of Solaris, or at least its bootloader. If the MBR is a
    >"vanilla" one that just boots the first active partition, just set the
    >Solaris partition active and add the Oracle Linux titles to the
    >Solaris grub menu.lst.
    >
    >Personally, I try to keep things "simple" and just deal w/the
    >chainloading. That way I don't have to modify OS A's menu.lst when
    >I update OS B's kernel.
    >
    >(quoted signature snipped, but multi-posting not fixed...)

    [OT]
    I just finished setting up a ThinkPad T61 w/XP, SNV 64a, Fedora
    Core 6 32 & 64 bit, _and_ prevented Solaris from screwing up the
    recovery partition access from the ThinkVantage button. Whew.
    I'll try to get that written up shortly.
    [/OT]

    Bill