Why cannot I find out a command to mount a thumb drive? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Why cannot I find out a command to mount a thumb drive? - Solaris ; Hello, I have googled, and gone to Sun. About the only thing I found out on mounting thumb drives is "Yes, they can be mounted", a paraphrase from Sun. I found one command set: run devfsadm, then: mount -F pcfs ...

  1. Why cannot I find out a command to mount a thumb drive?

    Hello,

    I have googled, and gone to Sun. About the only thing I found out on
    mounting thumb drives is "Yes, they can be mounted", a paraphrase from
    Sun. I found one command set:

    run devfsadm, then:
    mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/cXtXdXsX:c /your/mountpoint

    I found the analogous entry in my /dev/dsk directory and invoked, as root:

    devfsadm
    mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s2 /mnt

    It did not work:

    mount: No such device or address

    There is such a device or address:

    file /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s2
    /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s2: block special (33/386)

    So, how can I, an unworthy Solaris fan, mount my brand new thumb drive?
    How can I gain access to this wisdom?

    Any help would be Greatly appreciated!

    John

  2. Re: Why cannot I find out a command to mount a thumb drive?

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:34:24 -0700, John wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have googled, and gone to Sun. About the only thing I found out on
    > mounting thumb drives is "Yes, they can be mounted", a paraphrase from
    > Sun. I found one command set:
    >
    > run devfsadm, then:
    > mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/cXtXdXsX:c /your/mountpoint
    >
    > I found the analogous entry in my /dev/dsk directory and invoked, as root:
    >
    > devfsadm
    > mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s2 /mnt

    From mount_pcfs(1M)

    o A DOS logical drive on a hard disk expressed as
    device-name:logical-drive , where device-name specifies
    the special block device-file for the whole disk and
    logical-drive is either a drive letter (c through z) or
    a drive number (1 through 24). Examples are
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:c and /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:1.

    Note the use of p0, not s0 and the designator following the :

  3. Re: Why cannot I find out a command to mount a thumb drive?

    andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

    > Is it a USB drive? Just plug it in and Solaris will mount it
    > automatically (at least in Solaris 10, that seems to have got
    > rather proken in Solaris 11). Look in /media for the mount point.

    USB drives are mounted perfectly in solaris 11 XDE (snv_64a).
    Nothing wrong with it.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 05/07 ++

  4. Re: Why cannot I find out a command to mount a thumb drive?

    On 04 Jul 2007 18:24:14 GMT, andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

    >In article ,
    > John writes:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have googled, and gone to Sun. About the only thing I found out on
    >> mounting thumb drives is "Yes, they can be mounted", a paraphrase from
    >> Sun. I found one command set:

    >Is it a USB drive? Just plug it in and Solaris will mount it
    >automatically (at least in Solaris 10, that seems to have got
    >rather proken in Solaris 11). Look in /media for the mount point.

    Works for me with Solaris 10 and a Sunray 1.
    A df will show where it is mounted.

    >--
    >Andrew Gabriel
    >[email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og