Laptop install hangs prior to any menus - Solaris

This is a discussion on Laptop install hangs prior to any menus - Solaris ; I am trying to install Solaris 10 from the Distirbution DVD onto a Dell Lattitude D820 (on HCL). I am presented which boot command to use (Solaris, ttya, ttyb) and it seems to boot. I see the text OS banner ...

  1. Laptop install hangs prior to any menus

    I am trying to install Solaris 10 from the Distirbution DVD onto a
    Dell Lattitude D820 (on HCL). I am presented which boot command to use
    (Solaris, ttya, ttyb) and it seems to boot. I see the text OS banner
    at the top of the screen. Then it stops or hangs. I am never presented
    the menu selections for interactive graphical or text. In the HCL
    notes for this model, there were no specifics about required work
    arounds or boot options.

    It may be related to the nVidia graphics card, but I had expected to
    be able to install using the text interface, then install an
    appropriate graphics driver.

    I am looking for advice about boot options that may be of help or
    thoughts on the cause of the problem.

    Thanks,
    Karl

  2. Re: Laptop install hangs prior to any menus

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:21:10 -0000, modpop wrote:

    >I am trying to install Solaris 10 from the Distirbution DVD onto a
    >Dell Lattitude D820 (on HCL). I am presented which boot command to use
    >(Solaris, ttya, ttyb) and it seems to boot. I see the text OS banner
    >at the top of the screen. Then it stops or hangs. I am never presented
    >the menu selections for interactive graphical or text. In the HCL
    >notes for this model, there were no specifics about required work
    >arounds or boot options.
    >
    >It may be related to the nVidia graphics card, but I had expected to
    >be able to install using the text interface, then install an
    >appropriate graphics driver.
    >
    >I am looking for advice about boot options that may be of help or
    >thoughts on the cause of the problem.

    I have experienced something similar installing Solaris Nevada on a
    Thinkpad T61. Adding "-B acpi-user-options=8" without the quotes
    to the kernel line in the appropriate grub selection (does S10 use
    grub these days???) let me get things installed. I had to use a
    text-mode install and added the driver downloaded from nVidia later.

    Once installed, the 64 bit kernel comes up w/out the added "-B..."
    but failsafe boot still requires it. Not sure if it is "64 bit-ness"
    or some other issue.

    No idea if this applies to your situation - but maybe it will help.
    There are also other acpi options listed somewhere...

    HTH,
    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  3. Re: Laptop install hangs prior to any menus

    > I have experienced something similar installing Solaris Nevada on a
    > Thinkpad T61. Adding "-B acpi-user-options=8" without the quotes
    > to the kernel line in the appropriate grub selection (does S10 use
    > grub these days???) let me get things installed. I had to use a
    > text-modeinstalland added the driver downloaded from nVidia later.
    >
    > Once installed, the 64 bit kernel comes up w/out the added "-B..."
    > but failsafe boot still requires it. Not sure if it is "64 bit-ness"
    > or some other issue.

    Bill,
    Thanks you for responding.
    - I have tried adding a monitor on the video port on the chance it was
    sending something to that screen, with no effect.
    - I tried attaching a second PC using hyperterm as a console. I could
    not get the settings correct between a hyperterm on each PC and did
    not try the boot/install that way. I am open to setting/config advice
    with this. I have never connected two PCs this way (I have done it
    with embeded systems a while back.)
    - I am not sure I used your advice correctly. I have no confidence
    that I correctly constructed my boot line. Would you provide a
    complete command to boot with the options you suggest?

    Cheers,
    Karl

  4. Re: Laptop install hangs prior to any menus

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:20:04 -0000, modpop wrote:

    >> I have experienced something similar installing Solaris Nevada on a
    >> Thinkpad T61. Adding "-B acpi-user-options=8" without the quotes
    >> to the kernel line in the appropriate grub selection (does S10 use
    >> grub these days???) let me get things installed. I had to use a
    >> text-modeinstalland added the driver downloaded from nVidia later.
    >>
    >> Once installed, the 64 bit kernel comes up w/out the added "-B..."
    >> but failsafe boot still requires it. Not sure if it is "64 bit-ness"
    >> or some other issue.
    >>

    >Bill,
    >Thanks you for responding.
    >- I have tried adding a monitor on the video port on the chance it was
    >sending something to that screen, with no effect.
    >- I tried attaching a second PC using hyperterm as a console. I could
    >not get the settings correct between a hyperterm on each PC and did
    >not try the boot/install that way. I am open to setting/config advice
    >with this. I have never connected two PCs this way (I have done it
    >with embeded systems a while back.)
    >- I am not sure I used your advice correctly. I have no confidence
    >that I correctly constructed my boot line. Would you provide a
    >complete command to boot with the options you suggest?

    Unfortunately, I don't have an S10 machine handy at the moment, so
    this is just off the top...

    First, does your S10 install use grub to boot the install image? If
    so, when presented w/a choice "solaris, ttya, etc" highlight the
    solaris option and hit the "e" key. This should present the actual
    boot "stanza" used by grub. Highlight the 1st line (IIRC) and hit e
    again to edit that line. Add "-B acpi-user-options=8" without the
    quotes to the end of the lise. Hit return. Hit "b" to start the
    boot process. Cross your fingers.

    There are other acpi options that might help. Sorry I can't list
    them just now from memory. My recent experience is w/S11 (nevada)
    not S10. Perhaps someone who actually tracks this stuff will chime
    in.

    Bill