bind on Soalris 10 - Solaris

This is a discussion on bind on Soalris 10 - Solaris ; im running Bind on Solaris 10, however if a do a whois on google.co.uk i get: -bash-3.00$ whois google.co.uk Whois Server Version 1.3 Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered with many different competing registrars. ...

  1. bind on Soalris 10

    im running Bind on Solaris 10, however if a do a whois on google.co.uk i
    get:

    -bash-3.00$ whois google.co.uk

    Whois Server Version 1.3

    Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

    Server Name: GOOGLE.CO.UK
    Registrar: INNERWISE, INC. D/B/A ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM
    Whois Server: whois.itsyourdomain.com
    Referral URL: http://www.itsyourdomain.com

    >>> Last update of whois database: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:04:09 UTC <<<

    NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
    registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
    currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the
    expiration
    date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
    registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
    view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

    TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our Whois
    database through the use of electronic processes that are high-volume and
    automated except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or
    modify existing registrations; the Data in VeriSign Global Registry
    Services' ("VeriSign") Whois database is provided by VeriSign for
    information purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information
    about or related to a domain name registration record. VeriSign does not
    guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a Whois query, you agree to abide
    by the following terms of use: You agree that you may use this Data only
    for lawful purposes and that under no circumstances will you use this Data
    to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass
    unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail, telephone,
    or facsimile; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
    that apply to VeriSign (or its computer systems). The compilation,
    repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is expressly
    prohibited without the prior written consent of VeriSign. You agree not to
    use electronic processes that are automated and high-volume to access or
    query the Whois database except as reasonably necessary to register
    domain names or modify existing registrations. VeriSign reserves the right
    to restrict your access to the Whois database in its sole discretion to
    ensure
    operational stability. VeriSign may restrict or terminate your access
    to the
    Whois database for failure to abide by these terms of use. VeriSign
    reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

    The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
    Registrars.

    It looks as though whois is only querying for .COM, .NET, .EDU, how do
    i get it to query whois.nic.uk?

  2. Re: bind on Soalris 10

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:22:18 +0100, Kevin Wincott wrote:

    > im running Bind on Solaris 10, however if a do a whois on google.co.uk i
    > get:
    >
    > -bash-3.00$ whois google.co.uk

    whois(1) has nothing to do with BIND.

    BIND and its utilities resolve addresses and names, not registrations. If
    you want the IP address for google.co.uk:

    [duhring@tarfu ~]$ host google.co.uk
    google.co.uk has address 72.14.221.104
    google.co.uk has address 216.239.59.104
    google.co.uk has address 66.249.93.104

  3. Re: bind on Soalris 10

    I need to be able to do whois queries, can you point me in the general
    direction i should be looking? I have it working perfect on Freebsd just
    not on Solaris

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:22:18 +0100, Kevin Wincott wrote:
    >
    >> im running Bind on Solaris 10, however if a do a whois on google.co.uk i
    >> get:
    >>
    >> -bash-3.00$ whois google.co.uk

    > whois(1) has nothing to do with BIND.
    >
    > BIND and its utilities resolve addresses and names, not registrations. If
    > you want the IP address for google.co.uk:
    >
    > [duhring@tarfu ~]$ host google.co.uk
    > google.co.uk has address 72.14.221.104
    > google.co.uk has address 216.239.59.104
    > google.co.uk has address 66.249.93.104

  4. Re: bind on Soalris 10

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:44:22 +0100, Kevin Wincott wrote:

    > I need to be able to do whois queries, can you point me in the general
    > direction i should be looking? I have it working perfect on Freebsd just
    > not on Solaris

    You can build a whois utility similar (or identical) to FreeBSD's.

    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/w/whois/

    Note that in Solaris make, ld and as are in /usr/ccs and gcc is in
    /usr/sfw/bin. Sun's compiler is also available as a free download.

  5. Re: bind on Soalris 10

    On Jul 2, 7:22 am, Kevin Wincott wrote:
    > im running Bind on Solaris 10, however if a do a whois on google.co.uk i
    > get:
    > -bash-3.00$ whois google.co.uk

    snipped

    > It looks as though whois is only querying for .COM, .NET, .EDU, how do
    > i get it to query whois.nic.uk?

    Read the man page on whois and use -h ??

+ Reply to Thread