panic in boot loader - Solaris

This is a discussion on panic in boot loader - Solaris ; Help! We had a power outage, and when I brought my system (Solaris 10 3/05) up, it would come only boot in single user mode, suggesting that i could (with some risks) use svcadmin to clear the boot archive (i ...

  1. panic in boot loader

    Help!

    We had a power outage, and when I brought my system (Solaris 10 3/05)
    up, it would come only boot in single user mode, suggesting that i
    could (with some risks) use svcadmin to clear the boot archive (i
    can't remember the exact command). I did, and now the kernel won't
    even load. Now I get:

    [probably some stuff that scrolls by too fast to read]
    cannot read biosint
    trap type 13 (0xd) err code 0x98b8 eip=0x0
    [bunch of register and stack trace data]
    panic: unexpected trap in boot loader
    Press any key to reboot

    any help would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Re: panic in boot loader

    long time after the fact, but thought I would post the fix that worked best for me so others could find a solution...

    1. boot into failsafe mode; #mounting the drive read/write as /a
    2. cd /a/platform/i86pc ; mv boot_archive boot_archive_bad
    3. cd /
    4. bootadm update-archive -R /a
    5. shutdown -i 6

    basically, the ramdisk profile has somehow gotten munged, so you need to get a new one

    many thanks to all the data on the web that was able to point me in the right direction... web sites that I found are listed below:

    7. Troubleshooting (Solaris x86 FAQ)
    Fixing a Solaris Boot Archive | Flux
    BigAdmin Feature Article: GRUB and the Solaris 10 1/06 OS: The New Bootloader for x86 Platforms

    -swc

+ Reply to Thread