Using App Server on Solaris Express Developer Edition (02/07)... - Solaris

This is a discussion on Using App Server on Solaris Express Developer Edition (02/07)... - Solaris ; I just installed this edition with included/preconfigured Netbeans, Sun Studio, and App Server 9 this weekend. I guess there may be a better place to ask, but I didn't see a relevant opensolaris list or any better option than here. ...

  1. Using App Server on Solaris Express Developer Edition (02/07)...

    I just installed this edition with included/preconfigured Netbeans,
    Sun Studio, and App Server 9 this weekend. I guess there may be a
    better place to ask, but I didn't see a relevant opensolaris list or
    any better option than here.

    I can't seem to register the provided appserver for use in Netbeans.
    I suppose it is a permissions thing because the appserver is installed
    at the system level (generally rootther in /opt/SUNWappserver),
    since I can install a copy (same version) in my home directory and
    register it just fine. I also can start and stop the system
    installation and it seems to run without errors.

    The way they've done it would make sense if this were a production
    machine, I guess, but this is the "Developer Edition", after all.
    Surely I'm doing something wrong and they really didn't install this
    in a more or less unusable manner for development?

    Any ideas anyone?

  2. Re: Using App Server on Solaris Express Developer Edition (02/07)...

    install-discuss@opensolaris.org might be a good place to ask this.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Using App Server on Solaris Express Developer Edition (02/07)...

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > reds.baseball@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> I just installed this edition with included/preconfigured Netbeans,
    >> Sun Studio, and App Server 9 this weekend. I guess there may be a
    >> better place to ask, but I didn't see a relevant opensolaris list or
    >> any better option than here.
    >>
    >> I can't seem to register the provided appserver for use in Netbeans.
    >> I suppose it is a permissions thing because the appserver is installed
    >> at the system level (generally rootther in /opt/SUNWappserver),
    >> since I can install a copy (same version) in my home directory and
    >> register it just fine. I also can start and stop the system
    >> installation and it seems to run without errors.
    >>
    >> The way they've done it would make sense if this were a production
    >> machine, I guess, but this is the "Developer Edition", after all.
    >> Surely I'm doing something wrong and they really didn't install this
    >> in a more or less unusable manner for development?
    >>

    > install-discuss@opensolaris.org might be a good place to ask this.

    Nah, smtp and/or http is not good for group discussions. nntp is
    _working_...

  4. Re: Using App Server on Solaris Express Developer Edition (02/07)...

    > I can't seem to register the provided appserver for use in Netbeans. I
    > suppose it is a permissions thing because the appserver is installed at the
    > system level (generally rootther in /opt/SUNWappserver),

    So this has nothing to do with Solaris but more with NetBeans. Asking in a Java
    related group or actually reading the Netbeans website /or/ checking the error
    logs would have shown you whats up.

    The thing happening here is that the useraccount running netbeans needs write
    access in the domain directory structure. That and the config directory.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  5. Re: Using App Server on Solaris Express Developer Edition (02/07)...

    On Mar 27, 3:43 pm, Lion-O wrote:
    > > I can't seem to register the provided appserver for use in Netbeans. I
    > > suppose it is a permissions thing because the appserver is installed at the
    > > system level (generally rootther in /opt/SUNWappserver),

    > So this has nothing to do with Solaris but more with NetBeans. Asking in a Java
    > related group or actually reading the Netbeans website /or/ checking the error
    > logs would have shown you whats up.
    >
    > The thing happening here is that the useraccount running netbeans needs write
    > access in the domain directory structure. That and the config directory.
    >
    > --
    > Groetjes, Peter
    >
    > .\\ PGP/GPG key:http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

    "Nothing" to do with Solaris? You blame the Netbeans folk for how the
    Open Solaris group installs App Server 9? I already acknowledged it
    was probably a permissions thing, dip****, thanks, I just wondered why
    or how to get around it. I guess I'll go ask "in a java or related
    group" to figure out a problem related to unix permissions. Thanks,
    Einstein.

+ Reply to Thread