Dell Inspiron 8000 and Solaris 10 Video Selection - Solaris

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron 8000 and Solaris 10 Video Selection - Solaris ; So far I'm batting 1000% at picking the wrong combinations. Xsun detects the ATI Mobility without a hitch but I can't seem to find the right monitor selection. I checked over at support.dell.com but they do not list any of ...

  1. Dell Inspiron 8000 and Solaris 10 Video Selection

    So far I'm batting 1000% at picking the wrong combinations.

    Xsun detects the ATI Mobility without a hitch but I can't seem to find
    the right monitor selection.

    I checked over at support.dell.com but they do not list any of the
    specs for the display.

    Anyone?

    Thanks in advance,
    alan

  2. Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and Solaris 10 Video Selection

    On Mar 26, 7:38 pm, alan...@ilkda.com wrote:
    > So far I'm batting 1000% at picking the wrong combinations.
    >
    > Xsun detects the ATI Mobility without a hitch but I can't seem to find
    > the right monitor selection.
    >
    > I checked over at support.dell.com but they do not list any of the
    > specs for the display.
    >
    > Anyone?

    You could try installing in console mode and then run kdmconfig to
    switch to Xorg, and then follow the instructions to create a config
    file...

    I hope you'll get better, more specific answers but I thought I'd
    share something else I discovered this weekend.

    Solaris 10 has always automatically detected my video card (nvidia)
    and monitor (sony) during installation and proceeded with the
    interactive install no problem. I think it's using Xsun at that
    point. Then when the system boots the first time it tries to switch
    to Xorg, fails, and I have to either 1) run kdmconfig and switch to
    Xsun (slow in my case) or, 2) edit the Xorg.conf file myself.

    Anyhoo, when I installed Solaris Express DE (02/07) this weekend, I
    noticed it skips the whole Xsun thing during install (not sure whether
    it uses Xsun or Xorg), and then it actually gets the Xorg config
    correct when the system boots without my help at all!

    So, if you can't solve it any other way, you could try Solaris Express
    and (hopefully) get a working Xorg.config, then install Solaris 10 in
    console mode, run kdmconfig, and set up your Xorg file.

  3. Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and Solaris 10 Video Selection

    > You could try installing in console mode and then run kdmconfig to
    > switch to Xorg, and then follow the instructions to create a config
    > file...

    I might post a bug on this. Console installations, while not fun, are
    doable and even though you have not selected a display it still
    insists on trying to start X Windows, sheesh.

    > to Xorg, fails, and I have to either 1) run kdmconfig and switch to
    > Xsun (slow in my case) or, 2) edit the Xorg.conf file myself.

    I poked around Linux Laptops to see how others were configuring X.org
    for Linux. Finally got something almost workable. The logon screen
    isn't quite right but I can pan around enough to get the options that
    I want. Went into JDS and got the desktop situated with a 75 hz
    resolution that is a little higher than what I wanted, but the desktop
    is stable, and the fonts are still big enough that I can see the
    screen ok. I then tried to go back to Xsun with the same settings
    that I'm now using for JDS, and still no go. So, other then a logon
    screen that I have to pan around on if I want to change the settings,
    I'm good to go.

    > So, if you can't solve it any other way, you could try Solaris Express
    > and (hopefully) get a working Xorg.config, then install Solaris 10 in
    > console mode, run kdmconfig, and set up your Xorg file.

    Have to wait for those DVD's to show up in the mail. Anyways, I have
    a usable desktop. Need to add alsa for sound and then probably NDIS
    for the wifi connect. More fun and games.

    thanks,
    alan

  4. Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and Solaris 10 Video Selection

    Got it finally. Had to add a few 1400x1050 lines to get it to the
    proper resolution. If you look at the "Display" sub sections you'll
    note that I added them there as well as in monitor. This stops the
    pan effect since it was defaulting to only 1024x768. Now the screen
    is stretched to the proper size and life is good.

    alan

    # Generated by root on somecomputer.com at Tue Mar 27 16:39:30 2007
    # File generated by xorgconfig.
    #
    # Copyright 2004 The X.Org Foundation
    #
    # Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
    obtaining a
    # copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
    "Software"),
    # to deal in the Software without restriction, including without
    limitation
    # the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute,
    sublicense,
    # and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom
    the
    # Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
    #
    # The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
    included in
    # all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
    #
    # THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
    EXPRESS OR
    # IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
    MERCHANTABILITY,
    # FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT
    SHALL
    # The X.Org Foundation BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
    LIABILITY,
    # WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
    OUT OF
    # OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
    THE
    # SOFTWARE.
    #
    # Except as contained in this notice, the name of The X.Org Foundation
    shall
    # not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or
    other
    # dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from
    # The X.Org Foundation.
    #
    #
    # Refer to the xorg.conf(4) man page for details about the format of
    # this file.
    #
    #
    # Module section -- this section is used to specify
    # which dynamically loadable modules to load.
    #
    #
    #
    # Files section. This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
    #
    #
    # Server flags section.
    #
    #
    # Input devices
    #
    #
    # Core keyboard's InputDevice section
    #
    #
    # Core Pointer's InputDevice section
    #
    #
    # Other input device sections
    # this is optional and is required only if you
    # are using extended input devices. This is for example only. Refer
    # to the xorg.conf man page for a description of the options.
    #
    #
    # Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "Mouse2"
    # Driver "mouse"
    # Option "Protocol" "MouseMan"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/mouse2"
    # EndSection
    #
    # Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "spaceball"
    # Driver "magellan"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/cua0"
    # EndSection
    #
    # Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "spaceball2"
    # Driver "spaceorb"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/cua0"
    # EndSection
    #
    # Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "touchscreen0"
    # Driver "microtouch"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
    # Option "MinX" "1412"
    # Option "MaxX" "15184"
    # Option "MinY" "15372"
    # Option "MaxY" "1230"
    # Option "ScreenNumber" "0"
    # Option "ReportingMode" "Scaled"
    # Option "ButtonNumber" "1"
    # Option "SendCoreEvents"
    # EndSection
    #
    # Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "touchscreen1"
    # Driver "elo2300"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
    # Option "MinX" "231"
    # Option "MaxX" "3868"
    # Option "MinY" "3858"
    # Option "MaxY" "272"
    # Option "ScreenNumber" "0"
    # Option "ReportingMode" "Scaled"
    # Option "ButtonThreshold" "17"
    # Option "ButtonNumber" "1"
    # Option "SendCoreEvents"
    # EndSection
    #
    # Monitor section
    #
    # Any number of monitor sections may be present
    #
    # Graphics device section
    #
    # Any number of graphics device sections may be present
    # Standard VGA Device:
    # Device configured by xorgconfig:
    #
    # Screen sections
    #
    # Any number of screen sections may be present. Each describes
    # the configuration of a single screen. A single specific screen
    section
    # may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
    # option.
    #
    # ServerLayout sections.
    #
    # Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present. Each describes
    # the way multiple screens are organised. A specific ServerLayout
    # section may be specified from the X server command line with the
    # "-layout" option. In the absence of this, the first section is
    used.
    # When now ServerLayout section is present, the first Screen section
    # is used alone.
    # Section "DRI"
    # Mode 0666
    # EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"

    # The Identifier line must be present
    # Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
    # the relative position of other screens. The four names after
    # primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and
    right
    # of the primary screen. In this example, screen 2 is located to the
    # right of screen 1.
    # Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
    # optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
    # used. Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
    # "SendCoreEvents".
    Identifier "Simple Layout"
    Screen "Screen 1" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout1"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"

    # The location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
    # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
    # no need to change the default.
    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated
    together),
    # as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one
    FontPath
    # command (or a combination of both methods)
    #
    #
    # FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    # FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    # FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
    # The module search path. The default path is shown here.
    # ModulePath "/usr/X11/lib/modules"
    RgbPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/sun/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/F3bitmaps/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"

    # This loads the DBE extension module.
    # This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
    # initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    # This loads the font modules
    # This loads the Xst module
    # Load "Xst"
    # This loads the SolarisIA module
    # Load "dri"
    Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension
    SubSection "extmod"
    Option "omit xfree86-dga" # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection
    Load "bitstream"
    Load "type1"
    # Load "speedo"
    Load "IA"
    # This loads the GLX module
    Load "glx"
    # This loads the DRI module
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # For most OSs the protocol can be omitted (it defaults to
    "Standard").
    # When using XQUEUE (only for SVR3 and SVR4, but not Solaris),
    # uncomment the following line.
    # Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"
    # Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
    # Option "LeftAlt" "Meta"
    # Option "RightAlt" "ModeShift"
    # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
    # lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
    # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
    #
    # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
    # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # or:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    #
    # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
    # control keys, use:
    # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
    # These are the default XKB settings for Xorg
    # Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    # Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    # Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    # Option "XkbVariant" ""
    # Option "XkbOptions" ""
    # Option "XkbDisable"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "Keyboard"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with
    xset(1))
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # Identifier and driver
    # the following line.
    # Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"
    # Mouse-speed setting for PS/2 mouse.
    # Option "Resolution" "256"
    # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
    # almost every case these lines should be omitted.
    # Option "BaudRate" "9600"
    # Option "SampleRate" "150"
    # Mouse wheel mapping. Default is to map vertical wheel to buttons 4
    & 5,
    # horizontal wheel to buttons 6 & 7. Change if your mouse has more
    than
    # 3 buttons and you need to map the wheel to different button ids to
    avoid
    # conflicts.
    # Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)
    # Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    # Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
    # ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice
    # Option "ChordMiddle"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "Auto" # Auto detect
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    # When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    # Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button mice
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"

    # HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
    # HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
    # comma separated list of ranges of values.
    # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
    # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
    # HorizSync 30-64 # multisync
    # HorizSync 31.5, 35.2 # multiple fixed sync frequencies
    # HorizSync 15-25, 30-50 # multiple ranges of sync frequencies
    # VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
    # VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
    # comma separated list of ranges of values.
    # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
    # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
    ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    Identifier "My Monitor"
    ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    HorizSync 30.0 - 90.0
    VertRefresh 40.0 - 110.0
    ModeLine "1400x1050" 107.85 1400 1450 1500 1999 1050 1058 1070
    1150
    EndSection

    Section "Device"

    VideoRam 16384
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
    Identifier "** ATI (generic) [ati]"
    Driver "r128"
    ChipSet "ATI Rage 128 Mobility M4 MF (AGP)"
    BusID ""
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen 1"
    Device "** ATI (generic) [ati]"
    Monitor "My Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 8
    Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1400x1050" "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Group 0
    EndSection

  5. Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and Solaris 10 Video Selection

    reds.baseball@hotmail.com writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |Anyhoo, when I installed Solaris Express DE (02/07) this weekend, I
    |noticed it skips the whole Xsun thing during install (not sure whether
    |it uses Xsun or Xorg), and then it actually gets the Xorg config
    |correct when the system boots without my help at all!

    That's probably the combination of two things in SX, which are both
    coming to the next S10 update release as well:
    1) Switching the install process from Xsun to Xorg
    2) Bundling the nvidia accelerated driver from nvidia.com directly in
    Solaris (which also has better monitor autodetection than the open
    source nv driver used if you don't have nvidia's driver installed).

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/