No internet connection w Solaris 10 on my x86 - Config problem w Ethernet card - Solaris

This is a discussion on No internet connection w Solaris 10 on my x86 - Config problem w Ethernet card - Solaris ; Hi, I don't want to bother you with questions about hot to configure the ethernet card in solaris 10. I'm quite a newbie and I want it to learn without spending thousands of $ in Solaris courses or so. So ...

  1. No internet connection w Solaris 10 on my x86 - Config problem w Ethernet card

    Hi,
    I don't want to bother you with questions about hot to configure the
    ethernet card in solaris 10. I'm quite a newbie and I want it to learn
    without spending thousands of $ in Solaris courses or so.

    So my question is: do you know some URLs about Solaris tutorial in
    plain Englisch, explaining step-by-step which component are well
    suited, how to configure the internet (Ethernet card) etc.?

    I was not able to find something at my level. My biggest problem is
    how to connect my x86 pc with internet with a cable modem...

    Thank you very much for your help
    John

  2. Re: No internet connection w Solaris 10 on my x86 - Config problemw Ethernet card

    John wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I don't want to bother you with questions about hot to configure the
    > ethernet card in solaris 10. I'm quite a newbie and I want it to learn
    > without spending thousands of $ in Solaris courses or so.
    >
    > So my question is: do you know some URLs about Solaris tutorial in
    > plain Englisch, explaining step-by-step which component are well
    > suited, how to configure the internet (Ethernet card) etc.?
    >
    > I was not able to find something at my level. My biggest problem is
    > how to connect my x86 pc with internet with a cable modem...

    Look back through the archive of alt.solaris.x86, there have been a
    couple of threads discussing this very issue this week.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: No internet connection w Solaris 10 on my x86 - Config problem w Ethernet card

    "John" writes:

    > Hi,
    > I don't want to bother you with questions about hot to configure the
    > ethernet card in solaris 10. I'm quite a newbie and I want it to learn
    > without spending thousands of $ in Solaris courses or so.
    >
    > So my question is: do you know some URLs about Solaris tutorial in
    > plain Englisch, explaining step-by-step which component are well
    > suited, how to configure the internet (Ethernet card) etc.?

    /etc/hosts:
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    #Add your IPAddress and hostname
    123.45.67.99 myhostname

    /etc/defaultrouter:
    #Your router or modem address.
    123.45.67.89

    /etc/resolv.conf:
    #Call your ISP for nameserver or use your router address below for nameserver
    nameserver xxx.xx.xx.xx
    nameserver yyy,yy,yy,yy

    mv /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf~
    cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf

    /etc/init.d/nscd stop
    /etc/init.d/nscd/start

    > I was not able to find something at my level. My biggest problem is
    > how to connect my x86 pc with internet with a cable modem...
    >

    > Thank you very much for your help
    > John

  4. Re: No internet connection w Solaris 10 on my x86 - Config problem w Ethernet card

    On Mar 22, 11:05 pm, isuy wrote:
    > "John" writes:
    > > Hi,
    > > I don't want to bother you with questions about hot to configure the
    > > ethernet card in solaris 10. I'm quite a newbie and I want it to learn
    > > without spending thousands of $ in Solaris courses or so.

    > > So my question is: do you know some URLs about Solaris tutorial in
    > > plain Englisch, explaining step-by-step which component are well
    > > suited, how to configure the internet (Ethernet card) etc.?

    > /etc/hosts:
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > #Add your IPAddress and hostname
    > 123.45.67.99 myhostname
    >
    > /etc/defaultrouter:
    > #Your router or modem address.
    > 123.45.67.89
    >
    > /etc/resolv.conf:
    > #Call your ISP for nameserver or use your router address below for nameserver
    > nameserver xxx.xx.xx.xx
    > nameserver yyy,yy,yy,yy
    >
    > mv /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf~
    > cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf
    >
    > /etc/init.d/nscd stop
    > /etc/init.d/nscd/start
    >

    > > I was not able to find something at my level. My biggest problem is
    > > how to connect my x86 pc with internet with a cable modem...

    > > Thank you very much for your help
    > > John- Hide quoted text -

    For solaris 10 , there is one more => /etc/inet/ipnodes which uses the
    same format as the /etc/inet/hosts file..

  5. Re: No internet connection w Solaris 10 on my x86 - Config problem w Ethernet card

    On Mar 22, 10:39 pm, "John" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I don't want to bother you with questions about hot to configure the
    > ethernet card in solaris 10. I'm quite a newbie and I want it to learn
    > without spending thousands of $ in Solaris courses or so.
    >
    > Thank you very much for your help
    > John

    Don't worry about spending lots on learning Solaris, you simply don't
    need to!

    Both usenet groups alt.solaris.x86 and comp.unix.solaris will prove
    very valuable, and like another poster already mentioned, search those
    archives.

    Additionally, I've found searching the Sun bloggers at http://blogs.sun.com
    has turned up quite a bit of good info as well.

    Of course, comprehensive collections can be found at http://docs.sun.com

    >From a learning perspective, you may want to start with Solaris

    Express - Developer Edition as it is mature enough to be hassle free,
    yet includes many of the newer user-friendly features. See
    http://developers.sun.com/solaris/downloads/solexpdev/ for more info.

    HTH.

    Wes W.

  6. Re: No internet connection w Solaris 10 on my x86 - Config problem w Ethernet card

    On Mar 22, 9:39 pm, "John" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I don't want to bother you with questions about hot to configure the
    > ethernet card in solaris 10. I'm quite a newbie and I want it to learn
    > without spending thousands of $ in Solaris courses or so.
    >
    > So my question is: do you know some URLs about Solaris tutorial in
    > plain Englisch, explaining step-by-step which component are well
    > suited, how to configure the internet (Ethernet card) etc.?
    >
    > I was not able to find something at my level. My biggest problem is
    > how to connect my x86 pc with internet with a cable modem...
    >
    > Thank you very much for your help
    > John

    You might also mention the make / model (and chipset, if known) of
    your card. It would definitely help others help you.

+ Reply to Thread