Network Installs/DHCP/PXE - Solaris

This is a discussion on Network Installs/DHCP/PXE - Solaris ; I'm not sure which bit of the subject line highlights my shortcomings... I'm on a private LAN with an Ultra 60 running Solaris 10 set up as both sparc and x86 Solaris 10 install server. I can do a network ...

  1. Network Installs/DHCP/PXE

    I'm not sure which bit of the subject line highlights my
    shortcomings...

    I'm on a private LAN with an Ultra 60 running Solaris 10 set up as
    both sparc and x86 Solaris 10 install server.

    I can do a network install to ay sparc machine without any issues. The
    client picks up both a static IP address, and its hostname -
    presumably from the files ethers:

    and hosts:

    The post-install hosts file looks good and everything is sweet.

    Things are a bit messy when trying to net install to an x86 box. I
    have no interest in DHCP at all, beyond what's necessary to get the
    installer up and running, and after that I'd as soon turn it off. I
    now seem to have the DHCP server working well enough to get a bootable
    system, but:

    1. Regardless of what's in /etc/ethers and /etc/inet/hosts, I seem to
    have no control over which address from the IP pool is allocated to
    the install client. In fact it always seems to allocate the highest
    value. The only way I could think to solve this was to reduce the pool
    to a single address - the one I want on the client.

    2. Initially I would get "unknown hostname" on boot up of the newly
    built x86. I reinstalled after adding the boolean entry "Hostname" to
    the DHCP macro, and now the hostname is set ok on the client.
    However, /etc/hosts has the comment "added by DHCP" after the client's
    IP address and hostname. Deleting this is futile - it's there again
    after a reboot. Why?

    3. I also get "syslogd: loghost could not be resolved" during client
    boot up. Why? Would adding "loghost" to the client's IP address line
    in /etc/hosts fix this, and if so why isn't it there anyway as it is
    after a sparc-to-sparc installation?

    I get none of this grief on a sparc-to-sparc network install, which
    seems much easier to follow.

    Can these issues be resolved with more judicious configuration of the
    DHCP server (in which case I'll be very grateful for anyone's advice),
    or are sparc-to-x86 installs fundamentally flawed in some way?

    Thanks for any help guys.

  2. Re: Network Installs/DHCP/PXE

    doofus wrote:
    > I'm not sure which bit of the subject line highlights my
    > shortcomings...
    >
    > I'm on a private LAN with an Ultra 60 running Solaris 10 set up as
    > both sparc and x86 Solaris 10 install server.
    >
    > I can do a network install to ay sparc machine without any issues. The
    > client picks up both a static IP address, and its hostname -
    > presumably from the files ethers:
    >

    > and hosts:
    >

    > The post-install hosts file looks good and everything is sweet.
    >

    > Things are a bit messy when trying to net install to an x86 box. I
    > have no interest in DHCP at all, beyond what's necessary to get the
    > installer up and running, and after that I'd as soon turn it off. I
    > now seem to have the DHCP server working well enough to get a bootable
    > system, but:
    >
    > 1. Regardless of what's in /etc/ethers and /etc/inet/hosts, I seem to
    > have no control over which address from the IP pool is allocated to
    > the install client. In fact it always seems to allocate the highest
    > value. The only way I could think to solve this was to reduce the pool
    > to a single address - the one I want on the client.

    /etc/ethers and /etc/inet/hosts will have zero influence on what address
    your client gets. If you want a specific address, you must set the
    "manually assigned" flag on the address using dhcpmgr or pntadm, and
    provide the specific client ID to be used with that address.

    > 2. Initially I would get "unknown hostname" on boot up of the newly
    > built x86. I reinstalled after adding the boolean entry "Hostname" to
    > the DHCP macro, and now the hostname is set ok on the client.
    > However, /etc/hosts has the comment "added by DHCP" after the client's
    > IP address and hostname. Deleting this is futile - it's there again
    > after a reboot. Why?

    You found the right solution to getting the preferred hostname. Your
    remaining issue is due to your client still being set up to boot as a
    DHCP client. You should run sys-unconfig on the client, and then on the
    subsequent boot provide the address and settings that you want to have.

    > 3. I also get "syslogd: loghost could not be resolved" during client
    > boot up. Why? Would adding "loghost" to the client's IP address line
    > in /etc/hosts fix this, and if so why isn't it there anyway as it is
    > after a sparc-to-sparc installation?

    Yes, that would fix it; you can also just add it as an alias to the
    localhost entry. The fact that it's not there is a bug.

    Dave

  3. Re: Network Installs/DHCP/PXE

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:49:32 -0700, doofus wrote:

    > I'm not sure which bit of the subject line highlights my shortcomings...
    >
    > I'm on a private LAN with an Ultra 60 running Solaris 10 set up as both
    > sparc and x86 Solaris 10 install server.
    >
    > I can do a network install to ay sparc machine without any issues. The
    > client picks up both a static IP address, and its hostname - presumably
    > from the files ethers:
    >

    > and hosts:
    >

    > The post-install hosts file looks good and everything is sweet.
    >

    > Things are a bit messy when trying to net install to an x86 box. I have no
    > interest in DHCP at all, beyond what's necessary to get the installer up
    > and running, and after that I'd as soon turn it off. I now seem to have
    > the DHCP server working well enough to get a bootable system, but:

    In which case, go get JET (JumpStart Enterprise Toolkit) from
    http://www.sun.com/downloads

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/jet/

    Loads of help at http://jet.maui.co.uk , like

    http://jet.maui.co.uk/faq/index.php?...=26&artlang=en

    --
    XJR1300SP, XJ900F, GS550, GSX250, 750SS
    POTM#1(KoTL), WUSS#1 , YTC#1(bar), OSOS#2(KoTL) , DS#3 , IbW#18 ,Apostle#8

+ Reply to Thread