What's the best laptop for Solaris x86? - Solaris

This is a discussion on What's the best laptop for Solaris x86? - Solaris ; I will probably be buying a laptop soon. Whilst I will mainly run Vista on it, I would like it to be able to run Solaris. What laptop(s) are likely to give me the least hassle - i.e. get the ...

  1. What's the best laptop for Solaris x86?

    I will probably be buying a laptop soon. Whilst I will mainly run Vista
    on it, I would like it to be able to run Solaris. What laptop(s) are
    likely to give me the least hassle - i.e. get the hardware working most
    easily?

    I believe Sun employees had Acer Ferraris, but the models I have seen
    mentioned before, don't seem available in the UK now.

    Any suggestions?

    I get the feeling the Intel mobile CPUs are giving better performance
    than the AMD ones, so perhaps I'll go for an Intel based machine.
    Anyway, as I say, Solaris is not going to the be the main OS on it (I
    have Solaris on my SPARC and an AMD Opteron machine), but it would
    certainly be useful to know of any models for which the video, WiFi,
    DVD, and other things work well rather half-work. (For example, the DVD
    writer in my Solaris x86 PC works fine to read DVDs, but will not work
    with cdrecord to write them. I'd rather avoid that sort of problem if I
    can.

    --
    Dave (from the UK)

    It is always of the form: month-year@althorne.org

    http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database

  2. Re: What's the best laptop for Solaris x86?

    On Mar 21, 1:47 am, "Dave (from the UK)" signat...@southminster-branch-line.org.uk> wrote:
    > I will probably be buying a laptop soon. Whilst I will mainly run Vista
    > on it, I would like it to be able to run Solaris. What laptop(s) are
    > likely to give me the least hassle - i.e. get the hardware working most
    > easily?
    >
    > I believe Sun employees had Acer Ferraris, but the models I have seen
    > mentioned before, don't seem available in the UK now.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > I get the feeling the Intel mobile CPUs are giving better performance
    > than the AMD ones, so perhaps I'll go for an Intel based machine.
    > Anyway, as I say, Solaris is not going to the be the main OS on it (I
    > have Solaris on my SPARC and an AMD Opteron machine), but it would
    > certainly be useful to know of any models for which the video, WiFi,
    > DVD, and other things work well rather half-work. (For example, the DVD
    > writer in my Solaris x86 PC works fine to read DVDs, but will not work
    > with cdrecord to write them. I'd rather avoid that sort of problem if I
    > can.
    >
    > --
    > Dave (from the UK)
    >
    > Please note my email address changes periodically to avoid spam.
    > It is always of the form: month-y...@althorne.org
    > Hitting reply will work for a few months only - later set it manually.
    >
    > http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/- a Free open-source Chess Database

    Hi Dave.

    For what it's worth, Solaris ran great on my Apple MacBook Pro within
    Parallels or VMware. Though I didn't even try to use the wireless NIC
    or audio, so that was untested by my experience.

    I'd suggest visiting the Sun HCL for S10 DE and "certified" laptops:
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...ied.page1.html

    Best of luck in your quest.

    Wes W.

  3. Re: What's the best laptop for Solaris x86?

    "Dave (from the UK)" wrote:
    > I believe Sun employees had Acer Ferraris, but the models I have seen
    > mentioned before, don't seem available in the UK now.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I've had little or no problems with three different Toshiba laptops. I buy
    older models from Morgan (http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/) [they have a
    shop close to work.] While the hardware may not be bleeding edge, support is
    more or less guarenteed.

    If you can convince the shop, try booting one of the "live" CD distros of
    Solaris or you can try the procedure described in
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/device_detect.html

    --

  4. Re: What's the best laptop for Solaris x86?

    On Mar 21, 12:47 am, "Dave (from the UK)" signat...@southminster-branch-line.org.uk> wrote:

    > (For example, the DVD
    > writer in my Solaris x86 PC works fine to read DVDs, but will not work
    > with cdrecord to write them. I'd rather avoid that sort of problem if I
    > can.

    Don't feel bad, the DVD / CDRW combo drive factory-instaled in my
    W2100Z wouldn't read/write various CD's/DVD's under Solaris, but
    worked fine under Windows. My replacement Sony works, though; I
    crossed my fingers and burned a large Fedora Core 6 dvd with cdrw on
    Solaris Express recently--and it worked :-0

+ Reply to Thread