Re: Rename host? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Re: Rename host? - Solaris ; On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:19:49 -0400 "Lang Murphy" wrote: > "Malcolm" wrote in message > news:20070316105204.2450ca34@oscar-sled.homeunix.net... > On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:28:25 -0400 > "Lang Murphy" wrote: > > > New to Solaris... just got my 10 DVD ...

  1. Re: Rename host?

    "Lang Murphy" wrote:

    > "Malcolm" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:28:25 -0400
    > "Lang Murphy" wrote:
    >
    > > New to Solaris... just got my 10 DVD today. Installed in a VM.
    > > Must've screwed up the install because the hostname is "unknown."
    > > Would like to change it to something more represenative, like
    > > "SolarisVM" or whatever. Googled the crap out of it. Seems like
    > > there are lots of "old" instructions for renaming the host.
    > >
    > > So... I wonder what is the best way to rename the host? Edit files
    > > or run -unconfig or whatever it is... or reinstall?
    > >
    > > Also... any recommendations on resources to learn Solaris? I know
    > > about docs.sun.com... just wonder if anyone has any other
    > > recommendations.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Lang
    > >

    > Hi
    > Look here:
    > http://solaris.reys.net/english/2006...10_dhcp_client
    >
    > I always found BigAdmin a useful point of call
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/home/index.html
    >
    > Malcolm,
    >
    > Thanks for the links. I tried sys-unconfig and... went through the
    > whole setup again but to no avail. The box's hostname is still
    > "unknown." Looking at the first link above, I'm not familiar enough
    > with Unix to make assumptions, but I think the first file he talks
    > about... is the .skge0 the device id for the nic? My system has a
    > hostname.pcn0 file. Also... I thought I read somewhere that the file
    > nodename was only used for IPv6? And I'm not running IPv6 on this
    > box, so that file doesn't exist.
    >
    > I'm just a raw noob when it comes to this stuff... jes' trying to
    > make my way down the path of knowledge. Again... thanks for the links.
    >
    > Lang

    Hi
    Ok, so you have a file in /etc called hostname.pcn0, did you create a
    file dhcp.pcn0 in /etc and edit it to contain wait 60?
    You should also have a file in /etc called nodename, this is the file
    that contains the hostname you want.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp

  2. Re: Rename host?

    "Lang Murphy" wrote:

    > "Malcolm" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:28:25 -0400
    > "Lang Murphy" wrote:
    >
    > > New to Solaris... just got my 10 DVD today. Installed in a VM.
    > > Must've screwed up the install because the hostname is "unknown."
    > > Would like to change it to something more represenative, like
    > > "SolarisVM" or whatever. Googled the crap out of it. Seems like
    > > there are lots of "old" instructions for renaming the host.
    > >
    > > So... I wonder what is the best way to rename the host? Edit files
    > > or run -unconfig or whatever it is... or reinstall?
    > >
    > > Also... any recommendations on resources to learn Solaris? I know
    > > about docs.sun.com... just wonder if anyone has any other
    > > recommendations.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Lang
    > >

    > Hi
    > Look here:
    > http://solaris.reys.net/english/2006...10_dhcp_client
    >
    > I always found BigAdmin a useful point of call
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/home/index.html
    >
    > Malcolm,
    >
    > Thanks for the links. I tried sys-unconfig and... went through the
    > whole setup again but to no avail. The box's hostname is still
    > "unknown." Looking at the first link above, I'm not familiar enough
    > with Unix to make assumptions, but I think the first file he talks
    > about... is the .skge0 the device id for the nic? My system has a
    > hostname.pcn0 file. Also... I thought I read somewhere that the file
    > nodename was only used for IPv6? And I'm not running IPv6 on this
    > box, so that file doesn't exist.
    >
    > I'm just a raw noob when it comes to this stuff... jes' trying to
    > make my way down the path of knowledge. Again... thanks for the links.
    >
    > Lang
    >

    >Hi
    >Ok, so you have a file in /etc called hostname.pcn0, did you create a
    >file dhcp.pcn0 in /etc and edit it to contain wait 60?
    >You should also have a file in /etc called nodename, this is the file
    >that contains the hostname you want.

    I have not created a file named dhcp.pcn0, but will. There is no nodename
    file in /etc. I read somewhere that that file's only used for IPv6, but
    maybe I misunderstood. If I create a nodename file, does it's content match,
    say, that of hosts, with "ip hostname"?

    I ran through creating another VM and what I learned was, and this is just
    my personal observation... that if one elects to use DHCP during setup, one
    is not prompted to enter a hostname. If one does -not- elect to use DHCP,
    then one is prompted for a hostname. So now I've got a VM named SolarisVM
    but, hahaha, no connectivity. I did put in the DNS servers for my ISP, and
    think that may have messed things up, because in the VM that has
    connectivity, I did not enter any DNS servers, even though I selected DNS as
    the name service (or so I seem to remember...).

    The company for which I work has a subscription to Books 24x7, which has
    lots of online books for Solaris, so I'm reading some stuff there. But most
    of the books don't get into detail on some of the stuff I need detail on...
    but that's fine... I'm committed to learning Solaris, at least to the point
    where I know how to configure the network stuff. The other details will
    come.

    Thanks,

    Lang

  3. Re: Rename host?

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:24:08 -0400
    "Lang Murphy" wrote:

> [...]

    > setup, one is not prompted to enter a hostname. If one does -not-
    > elect to use DHCP, then one is prompted for a hostname. So now I've
    > got a VM named SolarisVM but, hahaha, no connectivity. I did put in
    > the DNS servers for my ISP, and think that may have messed things up,
    > because in the VM that has connectivity, I did not enter any DNS
    > servers, even though I selected DNS as the name service (or so I seem
    > to remember...).
    >
    > The company for which I work has a subscription to Books 24x7, which
    > has lots of online books for Solaris, so I'm reading some stuff
    > there. But most of the books don't get into detail on some of the
    > stuff I need detail on... but that's fine... I'm committed to
    > learning Solaris, at least to the point where I know how to configure
    > the network stuff. The other details will come.

    Hi
    Yes you will need to create the dhcp.xxx and then nodename file with
    you hostname in it.
    The reason your dns is not working because the /etc/nsswitch.conf file
    is not modified via static ip. You would need to append to the line
    starting with;

    hosts: files
    hosts: files dns
    and
    ipnodes: files
    ipnodes: files dns

    You may also want to add friendly names in your hosts file as well for
    your gateway (I do as habit)

    Have you tried logging into the root users GUI and running the network
    configuration tool rather than via cli?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp

  4. Re: Rename host?

    "Lang Murphy" wrote:

> [...]

    > learning Solaris, at least to the point where I know how to configure
    > the network stuff. The other details will come.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lang

    Hi
    Yes you will need to create the dhcp.xxx and then nodename file with
    you hostname in it.
    The reason your dns is not working because the /etc/nsswitch.conf file
    is not modified via static ip. You would need to append to the line
    starting with;

    hosts: files
    hosts: files dns
    and
    ipnodes: files
    ipnodes: files dns

    You may also want to add friendly names in your hosts file as well for
    your gateway (I do as habit)

    Have you tried logging into the root users GUI and running the network

    Sorry... can't figure out how to get this stoopid news reader (Outlook
    Express) to reply at bottom of thread automagically...

    Anyway... think we're getting my VM's mixed up. I have two Solaris VM's
    right now. I'll call them, hmm... SVM1 and SVM2. Brilliant, eh?

    SVM1 was the VM for which I wanted to rename the hostname. I effected that
    change tonight, thanks to your suggestions on creating the nodename file.
    This VM is running DHCP without issue. When I installed it, I told it to use
    DNS but did -not- enter ip's for my ISP's DNS. I can only assume it is
    picking them up from the router, because this VM has internet connectivity.

    SVM2 is using static ip and DNS (for which I did enter the DNS ip's for my
    ISP during setup) but there was no resolve.conf file in /etc (or is that
    resolv.conf? not sure). So per the other thread you've been helping me with,
    I created resolve.conf (later moved to resolv.conf) and it (both) did not
    seem to have an impact, because I still have no internet connectivity though
    I can ping the router and ping this VM from the host on which it resides. I
    also made the recommended change to nsswitch.conf as indicated above.

    Thanks,

    Lang

+ Reply to Thread