How to create and extend a FileSystem - Solaris

This is a discussion on How to create and extend a FileSystem - Solaris ; I have a project in which I have been told that the SAN team has allocated the lun's. I need to create a file system using sun volume manager, and in another case extend a filesystem using sun volume manager. ...

  1. How to create and extend a FileSystem

    I have a project in which I have been told that the SAN team has
    allocated the lun's. I need to create a file system using sun volume
    manager, and in another case extend a filesystem using sun volume
    manager.

    Please tell me how I discover the newly added lun's and add them, how
    do I add them to create a new filesystem, and how do I add them to
    increase a filesystem size.

    Also, what are the commands necessary to do this for Veritas.

    Thank you very much.

  2. Re: How to create and extend a FileSystem

    Alice_Rutherford@excite.com wrote:
    > I have a project in which I have been told that the SAN team has
    > allocated the lun's. I need to create a file system using sun volume
    > manager, and in another case extend a filesystem using sun volume
    > manager.
    >
    > Please tell me how I discover the newly added lun's and add them, how
    > do I add them to create a new filesystem, and how do I add them to
    > increase a filesystem size.
    >
    > Also, what are the commands necessary to do this for Veritas.
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    it depends on the HBA you have.
    What is it ?

    Emulex
    Qlogic
    JNI
    SUNW,emulex

    do you use persistent bindings ?

    try this :

    to configure the new luns
    # devfsadm -v

    to show the new luns found
    # cfgadm -al

    greetings
    Sven

  3. Re: How to create and extend a FileSystem

    Alice_Rutherford@excite.com wrote:
    > I have a project in which I have been told that the SAN team has
    > allocated the lun's. I need to create a file system using sun volume
    > manager, and in another case extend a filesystem using sun volume
    > manager.
    >
    > Please tell me how I discover the newly added lun's and add them, how
    > do I add them to create a new filesystem, and how do I add them to
    > increase a filesystem size.
    >
    > Also, what are the commands necessary to do this for Veritas.
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    If you are having trouble with your assignment, you should read your
    text book and/or ask your instructor for help!

  4. Re: How to create and extend a FileSystem

    Rich, I don't think that's what she was saying. I don't imagine this
    is a school project.

    Alice, you'll want to see if the new LUNs are visible in your device
    tree. Run the command 'format'. You may want to even pipe this
    output to a file. As a general rule of thumb when I'm presenting new
    devices to a host, I take a before and after snapshot and put them in
    a text file. This does simplify the process.

    Also, what version of Solaris are you running? I assume Solaris 10.

    Nonetheless, a good quick read for Volume Manager is at www.cuddletech.com.
    Navigate to 'Storage'. I recommend reading the tutorials all the way
    through as just knowing the commands can be more dangerous if you do
    not know what you are doing. If you are already hosting devices with
    a volume manager, performing certain actions can have disasterous
    effects.

    On Feb 25, 10:12 am, "Richard B. gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Alice_Rutherf...@excite.com wrote:
    > > I have a project in which I have been told that the SAN team has
    > > allocated the lun's. I need to create a file system using sun volume
    > > manager, and in another case extend a filesystem using sun volume
    > > manager.

    > > Please tell me how I discover the newly added lun's and add them, how
    > > do I add them to create a new filesystem, and how do I add them to
    > > increase a filesystem size.

    > > Also, what are the commands necessary to do this for Veritas.

    > > Thank you very much.

    > If you are having trouble with your assignment, you should read your
    > text book and/or ask your instructor for help!

  5. Re: How to create and extend a FileSystem

    On Feb 25, 4:45 pm, "Gunhaver_06" wrote:
    > Rich, I don't think that's what she was saying. I don't imagine this
    > is a school project.
    >
    > Alice, you'll want to see if the new LUNs are visible in your device
    > tree. Run the command 'format'. You may want to even pipe this
    > output to a file. As a general rule of thumb when I'm presenting new
    > devices to a host, I take a before and after snapshot and put them in
    > a text file. This does simplify the process.
    >
    > Also, what version of Solaris are you running? I assume Solaris 10.
    >
    > Nonetheless, a good quick read for Volume Manager is atwww.cuddletech.com.
    > Navigate to 'Storage'. I recommend reading the tutorials all the way
    > through as just knowing the commands can be more dangerous if you do
    > not know what you are doing. If you are already hosting devices with
    > a volume manager, performing certain actions can have disasterous
    > effects.
    >
    > On Feb 25, 10:12 am, "Richard B. gilbert"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Alice_Rutherf...@excite.com wrote:
    > > > I have a project in which I have been told that the SAN team has
    > > > allocated the lun's. I need to create a file system using sun volume
    > > > manager, and in another case extend a filesystem using sun volume
    > > > manager.

    > > > Please tell me how I discover the newly added lun's and add them, how
    > > > do I add them to create a new filesystem, and how do I add them to
    > > > increase a filesystem size.

    > > > Also, what are the commands necessary to do this for Veritas.

    > > > Thank you very much.

    > > If you are having trouble with your assignment, you should read your
    > > text book and/or ask your instructor for help!- Hide quoted text -

    We use both qlogic and emulex hba's, are the commands different? I
    also need the command sequence for creating a file system using sun
    volume manager and extending a file system on sun volume manager and
    both for veritas. Oce I have that, I will look up the man pages for
    all to learn more. This is not for a school project, it's something I
    got stuck with.

  6. Re: How to create and extend a FileSystem

    Alice_Rutherford@excite.com wrote:
    > On Feb 25, 4:45 pm, "Gunhaver_06" wrote:
    >
    >>Rich, I don't think that's what she was saying. I don't imagine this
    >>is a school project.

    > We use both qlogic and emulex hba's, are the commands different? I
    > also need the command sequence for creating a file system using sun
    > volume manager and extending a file system on sun volume manager and
    > both for veritas. Oce I have that, I will look up the man pages for
    > all to learn more. This is not for a school project, it's something I
    > got stuck with.

    See man devfsadm, man newfs, man growfs, man metainit, and related man
    pages . AFAIK you do not "create a file system" using Sun Volume
    Manager. You can create a RAID array (mirror or RAID 5) using SVM. You
    can partition the RAID array using SVM (I think). From that point you
    use newfs to create a file system. You can use growfs to modify an
    existing filesystem.

  7. Re: How to create and extend a FileSystem

    The following commands might help you solve your problem:

    Disks / SAN:
    devfsadm -v
    echo | format
    cfgadm -al
    luxadm -e port
    prtpicl -vc scsi-fcp

    SVM man pages:
    man metadb
    man metainit
    man metastat
    man metattach

  8. Re: How to create and extend a FileSystem

    On Feb 27, 2:31 am, "jeffhig...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > The following commands might help you solve your problem:
    >
    > Disks / SAN:
    > devfsadm -v
    > echo | format
    > cfgadm -al
    > luxadm -e port
    > prtpicl -vc scsi-fcp
    >
    > SVM man pages:
    > man metadb
    > man metainit
    > man metastat
    > man metattach

    Thank you very much. I appreciate this a lot. Please if possible, let
    me know what the commands are for checking the status of various hba
    cards, jni, qlogic and emulex etc. Also, for extending filersystems,
    is it possible to use growfs, extend fs for the root filesystem? Thank
    you in advance.

  9. Re: How to create and extend a FileSystem

    veritas commands

    Once lun is installed

    devfsadm
    echo | format to make sure luns are seen at OS level
    vxdctl enable to make luns available to veritas
    vxdisk list to check for new luns

    vxresize to increase volume/filesystem

    Hope this helps

    "Sven Hilmer" wrote in message
    > Alice_Rutherford@excite.com wrote:
    >> I have a project in which I have been told that the SAN team has
    >> allocated the lun's. I need to create a file system using sun volume
    >> manager, and in another case extend a filesystem using sun volume
    >> manager.
    >>
    >> Please tell me how I discover the newly added lun's and add them, how
    >> do I add them to create a new filesystem, and how do I add them to
    >> increase a filesystem size.
    >>
    >> Also, what are the commands necessary to do this for Veritas.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.

    > it depends on the HBA you have.
    > What is it ?
    >
    > Emulex