how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10 - Solaris

This is a discussion on how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10 - Solaris ; hi am useing solaris10 X86version on my AMD-sempron sytem, can any one plz tell me how can i scan and list out all installed h/w in system is there any command is there to scan for newly added h/w? am ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10

  1. how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10

    hi

    am useing solaris10 X86version on my AMD-sempron sytem, can any one
    plz tell me how can i
    scan and list out all installed h/w in system
    is there any command is there to scan for newly added h/w?
    am not able install my nic card ,please help me ?
    my nic card is VIA compatble nic card,mohter board is VIA-KM400
    chipset
    plz help me


    thanks in advance


    KK


  2. Re: how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10


    "shiva" wrote in message
    news:1172146652.029630.148880@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > hi
    >
    > am useing solaris10 X86version on my AMD-sempron sytem, can any one
    > plz tell me how can i
    > scan and list out all installed h/w in system
    > is there any command is there to scan for newly added h/w?
    > am not able install my nic card ,please help me ?
    > my nic card is VIA compatble nic card,mohter board is VIA-KM400
    > chipset
    > plz help me
    >
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    >
    > KK
    >


    The prtconf -v command will list a lot of information.

    To discover new hardware, as root:

    #cd /
    #touch reconfigure
    #init 6

    It might work?




  3. Re: how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10

    shiva wrote:
    > hi
    >
    > am useing solaris10 X86version on my AMD-sempron sytem, can any one
    > plz tell me how can i
    > scan and list out all installed h/w in system
    > is there any command is there to scan for newly added h/w?
    > am not able install my nic card ,please help me ?


    There is the scanpci command. It is in /usr/X11/bin. It lists
    various hardware components recognized by the system. Once you
    know that, you may be able to determine the relevant driver if
    it exists. prtconf with various options can show if a driver
    is attached to the hardware. Try prtconf -D for starters.

    Stuart

  4. Re: how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10

    Gerry Sinkiewicz wrote:
    > To discover new hardware, as root:
    >
    > #cd /
    > #touch reconfigure
    > #init 6


    some patches also require a reconfigure reboot, so that's how it's done
    on x86? and I always thought you have to edit grub's default boot-entry
    to add an -r at the end...

  5. Re: how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10

    On 2007-02-22 19:31:57 +0000, Stefan Krüger said:

    > Gerry Sinkiewicz wrote:
    >> To discover new hardware, as root:
    >>
    >> #cd /
    >> #touch reconfigure
    >> #init 6

    >
    > some patches also require a reconfigure reboot, so that's how it's done
    > on x86? and I always thought you have to edit grub's default boot-entry
    > to add an -r at the end...


    I'm pretty sure that's how it always worked on SPARCs too, at least
    since Solaris 2.1 or so.

    Cheers,

    Chris


  6. Re: how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10

    Stuart Biggar wrote:
    > shiva wrote:
    >
    >> hi
    >>
    >> am useing solaris10 X86version on my AMD-sempron sytem, can any one
    >> plz tell me how can i
    >> scan and list out all installed h/w in system
    >> is there any command is there to scan for newly added h/w?
    >> am not able install my nic card ,please help me ?

    >
    >
    > There is the scanpci command. It is in /usr/X11/bin. It lists
    > various hardware components recognized by the system. Once you
    > know that, you may be able to determine the relevant driver if
    > it exists. prtconf with various options can show if a driver
    > is attached to the hardware. Try prtconf -D for starters.
    >
    > Stuart


    I forgot one other possibility - the Sun Device Detection Tool:

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/device_detect.html

    It runs under Solaris 10 (and apparently Solaris Express). I ran
    it under Windows at one point also.

    Stuart

  7. Re: how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10

    Chris Ridd wrote:
    > On 2007-02-22 19:31:57 +0000, Stefan Krüger
    > said:
    >
    >> Gerry Sinkiewicz wrote:
    >>> To discover new hardware, as root:
    >>>
    >>> #cd /
    >>> #touch reconfigure
    >>> #init 6

    >>
    >> some patches also require a reconfigure reboot, so that's how it's
    >> done on x86? and I always thought you have to edit grub's default
    >> boot-entry to add an -r at the end...

    >
    > I'm pretty sure that's how it always worked on SPARCs too, at least
    > since Solaris 2.1 or so.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Chris


    quoting 118855-36's readme:

    "IF YOU INSTALL THIS PATCH TO A LIVE SYSTEM, YOU MUST PERFROM
    A RECONFIGURE REBOOT (boot -r) IMMEDIATELY AFTER INSTALLING
    THIS PATCH, BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY OTHER OPERATION, INCLUDING
    ANY SUBSEQUENT PATCH OPERATION."

    as you see this is somehow misleading for first time solaris x86 users...

    PS: the PERFROM typo is real

  8. Re: how can i scan & list out all installed h/w of a system in solaris10

    shiva wrote:
    > hi
    >

    Don't multi-post, it wastes everyone's time.

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread