Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source? - Solaris ; Christof Meerwald wrote: > On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:14:49 -0600, Richard L. Hamilton wrote: > >>Solaris 10 6/06 vs Fedora Core 6, same hardware (single dual-core CPU): >> http://www.geekpatrol.ca/2006/10/sun...x-performance/ > > > Well, it's actually Solaris 10 with Sun ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    Christof Meerwald wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:14:49 -0600, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
    >
    >>Solaris 10 6/06 vs Fedora Core 6, same hardware (single dual-core CPU):
    >>http://www.geekpatrol.ca/2006/10/sun...x-performance/

    > Well, it's actually Solaris 10 with Sun Studio vs Fedora Core 6 with gcc.
    > And as the tests appear to be CPU-bound it's more likely to be just
    > comparing compilers instead of OSes. I bet the results for Solaris 10 with
    > gcc would be pretty similar to Fedora Core with gcc.

    That may be true, but consider which compiler is used to build the OS
    and its applications.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  2. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    On 2007-02-21 21:27:19 +0000, Ian Collins said:

    > That may be true, but consider which compiler is used to build the OS
    > and its applications.

    But then consider how much of the time the OS itself is compute-bound.
    Probably not very much - I bet the bottlenecks tend to be I/O and
    various resource-contention issues (but I could be wrong of course, and
    this probably doesn't skew the test to the fashionable candidate, in
    any case).

    --tim

  3. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    On 2007-02-20, Rich Teer wrote:

    > with your omphaloskepsis.

    Congratulations! You're the first person other than me that I've ever
    seen using that word in a public place.

    --
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
    who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this

  4. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Huge belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2007-02-20, Rich Teer wrote:
    >
    >> with your omphaloskepsis.

    > Congratulations! You're the first person other than me that I've ever
    > seen using that word in a public place.

    (This claim-squelching moment brought to you in the name of Tim Smith.)

    --
    I love the smell of source code compiling in the morning.
    It smells like... freedom.

  5. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Huge wrote:

    > Congratulations! You're the first person other than me that I've ever
    > seen using that word in a public place.

    Cool! Do I get a prize? :-)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  6. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    Linonut wrote:

    >Huge wrote:
    >
    >>Rich Teer wrote:
    >>
    >>> with your omphaloskepsis.

    >> Congratulations! You're the first person other than me that I've ever
    >> seen using that word in a public place.

    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    >
    >(This claim-squelching moment brought to you in the name of Tim Smith.)

    Same URL, dejunked:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=omphaloskepsis

    Better URL (compares Usenet to Usenet, not Usenet to WWW):

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...sis&lr=lang_en

  7. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    On 2007-02-22, Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Huge wrote:
    >
    >> Congratulations! You're the first person other than me that I've ever
    >> seen using that word in a public place.

    > Cool! Do I get a prize? :-)

    Here's a (fixed pitch font) gold star;

    __/\__
    \ /
    /_ _\
    \/

    --
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
    who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this
    or that problem will never be solved by science.
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  8. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    On 2007-02-23, Guy Macon wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>Huge wrote:

    >>> Congratulations! You're the first person other than me that I've ever
    >>> seen using that word in a public place.

    >>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    >>
    >>(This claim-squelching moment brought to you in the name of Tim Smith.)

    How on earth would Google know what I've ever seen? I mean, they
    know a lot, but what I've seen? Naah.

    )

    --
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
    who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this
    or that problem will never be solved by science.
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  9. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Guy Macon wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    > >
    > >Huge wrote:

    > >> Congratulations! You're the first person other than me that I've ever
    > >> seen using that word in a public place.

    > >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    > >
    > >(This claim-squelching moment brought to you in the name of Tim Smith.)

    > Same URL, dejunked:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=omphaloskepsis
    >

    > Better URL (compares Usenet to Usenet, not Usenet to WWW):
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...sis&lr=lang_en

    Whoa, fellahs. Huge said that I was the first person other than himself
    that *HE'D SEEN* using omphaloskepsis in a public place. Neither of us
    are claiming to be the first and second users of it ever. You guys have
    gotta learn to read a bit better--the devil's in the details. :-)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  10. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Huge wrote:

    > Here's a (fixed pitch font) gold star;

    I've stuck it onto my collection. :-) (And is there any other type
    of font that's kosher on Usenet?!)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  11. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    Rich Teer wrote:

    >Guy Macon wrote:
    >
    >>Linonut wrote:

    >>>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    >>>
    >>>(This claim-squelching moment brought to you in the name of Tim Smith.)

    >>Same URL, dejunked:
    >>
    >>http://www.google.com/search?q=omphaloskepsis
    >>
    >>Better URL (compares Usenet to Usenet, not Usenet to WWW):
    >>
    >>http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...sis&lr=lang_en

    >Whoa, fellahs. Huge said that I was the first person other than himself
    >that *HE'D SEEN* using omphaloskepsis in a public place. Neither of us
    >are claiming to be the first and second users of it ever. You guys have
    >gotta learn to read a bit better--the devil's in the details. :-)

    It appears to me that you are among those who "gotta learn
    to read a bit better." Nowhere did I make any claim at all.
    I simply posted instructions on how to do a better job of
    posting URLs from Google.

    Guy Macon

  12. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Guy Macon wrote:

    > It appears to me that you are among those who "gotta learn
    > to read a bit better." Nowhere did I make any claim at all.
    > I simply posted instructions on how to do a better job of
    > posting URLs from Google.

    Fair point--but methinks you need to work on that thin skin of
    your a bit. This is all just good-natured joshing, ya know? :-)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  13. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Guy Macon wrote:
    >

    >>It appears to me that you are among those who "gotta learn
    >>to read a bit better." Nowhere did I make any claim at all.
    >>I simply posted instructions on how to do a better job of
    >>posting URLs from Google.

    > Fair point--but methinks you need to work on that thin skin of
    > your a bit. This is all just good-natured joshing, ya know? :-)

    Hello,

    I would like to see Solaris X86 and Linux, remove marketshare from the
    MS-World, and not necessarily each other. Every day I am forced to use
    MSWindows, on a bunch of wretched , underperforming windows servers and
    PCs. The OS, and applications make me want to hurl. I test software for
    a living, and there are so many bugs, bottlenecks, and kluges in
    MS-Windows, that Redmond should pay people to use their products(beta
    testing), not the other way around.

    One, of many things, I like about Linux is, when opensource source
    packages are downloaded, ALL the dependencies are met during compile
    time. So, "configure, make, make install" is usually all it takes. With
    Solaris,(Solaris 10), there are ALOT of dependencies that are not met,
    with alot of packages.

    I enjoy working on both Operating Systems, and enjoy the extra work on
    Solaris, in resolving dependency issues(example wireshark). But when
    time is an issue, Linux provides a quick solution to install a package,
    while with Sun, it usually takes much longer.

    So, will OpenSource Solaris provide a similar, large package
    configuration, where OpenSource tools are Much more easily installed, or
    is OpenSource Solaris focusing on other goals? I will continue to buy
    and support both (install disks) SUN and Linux, as I appreciate both
    operating systems.

    Apologies for this rambling post,

    John

  14. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    On Mar 1, 3:28 pm, John wrote:
    > Rich Teer wrote:
    > > On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Guy Macon wrote:

    > >>It appears to me that you are among those who "gotta learn
    > >>to read a bit better." Nowhere did I make any claim at all.
    > >>I simply posted instructions on how to do a better job of
    > >>posting URLs from Google.

    > > Fair point--but methinks you need to work on that thin skin of
    > > your a bit. This is all just good-natured joshing, ya know? :-)

    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to see Solaris X86 and Linux, remove marketshare from the
    > MS-World, and not necessarily each other. Every day I am forced to use
    > MSWindows, on a bunch of wretched , underperforming windows servers and
    > PCs. The OS, and applications make me want to hurl. I test software for
    > a living, and there are so many bugs, bottlenecks, and kluges in
    > MS-Windows, that Redmond should pay people to use their products(beta
    > testing), not the other way around.
    >
    > One, of many things, I like about Linux is, when opensource source
    > packages are downloaded, ALL the dependencies are met during compile
    > time. So, "configure, make, make install" is usually all it takes. With
    > Solaris,(Solaris 10), there are ALOT of dependencies that are not met,
    > with alot of packages.

    Search c.u.s for treads on this subject. There have been a couple
    describing how the open source sources are not all that open but
    contains dependencies to Linuxism's...

    > I enjoy working on both Operating Systems, and enjoy the extra work on
    > Solaris, in resolving dependency issues(example wireshark). But when
    > time is an issue, Linux provides a quick solution to install a package,
    > while with Sun, it usually takes much longer.
    >
    > So, will OpenSource Solaris provide a similar, large package
    > configuration, where OpenSource tools are Much more easily installed, or

    If compiling yourself is not a main goal/request/policy you can always
    go to the precompiled archives at blastwave.org or sunfreeware.com

    > is OpenSource Solaris focusing on other goals? I will continue to buy
    > and support both (install disks) SUN and Linux, as I appreciate both
    > operating systems.
    >
    > Apologies for this rambling post,
    >
    > John

  15. Re: Why does anyone run Linux, when Solaris is open source?

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, John wrote:

    > I would like to see Solaris X86 and Linux, remove marketshare from the
    > MS-World, and not necessarily each other. Every day I am forced to use

    Amen to that!

    > One, of many things, I like about Linux is, when opensource source packages
    > are downloaded, ALL the dependencies are met during compile time. So,
    > "configure, make, make install" is usually all it takes. With Solaris,(Solaris
    > 10), there are ALOT of dependencies that are not met, with alot of packages.

    The same can happen with Solaris. If you get your packages from
    Blastwave.org, the dependancies will be installed for you too.

    > So, will OpenSource Solaris provide a similar, large package configuration,
    > where OpenSource tools are Much more easily installed, or is OpenSource

    That depends on which OpenSOlaris distro. I think Nexenta might
    do what you want out of the box...

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich