x86 installation problem.... - Solaris

This is a discussion on x86 installation problem.... - Solaris ; This is a solaris 10 installation problem that I encountered on X86 hardware of configuration Asus Motherboard M2 PV VM, AMD X2 64 processor 3600, Kingston 512 MB DDR 2 RAM, Seagate 160 GB SATA harddisk all cased in an ...

  1. x86 installation problem....

    This is a solaris 10 installation problem that I encountered on X86
    hardware of configuration Asus Motherboard M2 PV VM, AMD X2 64
    processor 3600, Kingston 512 MB DDR 2 RAM, Seagate 160 GB SATA
    harddisk all cased in an Antec case, model, minuet 300.

    First installation using CDs proceeded smoothly but I encountered two
    problems: 1) the display resolution after installation was 480x640
    which could not be corrected On the first installation instance, the
    monitor attached was a Sun monitor, so perhaps the display resolution
    problem was peculiar to the Sun MOnitor on an X86 system. 2) the
    network card in the motherboard was not detected at first attempt.

    In the process of correcting display the installed software became
    corrupt.

    I tried reinstalling the O/S using a DVD marked 1/06 Solaris 10 O/S
    x64/x86 (Is this the latest version? ) and on the first attempt, ( I
    chose the upgrade option, so the previous corrupt installation must
    have remained ) the installed O/S did not boot with error messages
    such as "check boot archive content"", "46 independant services not
    running) and "11 dependant services not running".

    After several attempts, I again installed, this time, choosing the new
    installation option, which proceeded smoothly. The display resolution
    at the beginning of the installation was shown as 1024x1200 (the
    maximum for the HP monitor attached)so the display resolution problem
    appeared solved.

    But again after installation, the machine booted by launching install
    launcher, to install "additional software". But it did not find
    "Solaris 10 Documentation" and "Java Enterprise System", I chose
    options to skip installation of these components and the final screen
    appeared with a "reboot now" button. When the button was pressed the
    machine did not reboot, I tried several times, and when manually
    rebooted the system, it again went into the "Install Launcher" loop to
    install additional software not present in the DVD.

    What do I do???

  2. Re: x86 installation problem....

    Shiva wrote:
    > This is a solaris 10 installation problem that I encountered on X86
    > hardware of configuration Asus Motherboard M2 PV VM, AMD X2 64
    > processor 3600, Kingston 512 MB DDR 2 RAM, Seagate 160 GB SATA
    > harddisk all cased in an Antec case, model, minuet 300.
    >
    > First installation using CDs proceeded smoothly but I encountered two
    > problems: 1) the display resolution after installation was 480x640
    > which could not be corrected On the first installation instance, the
    > monitor attached was a Sun monitor, so perhaps the display resolution
    > problem was peculiar to the Sun MOnitor on an X86 system. 2) the
    > network card in the motherboard was not detected at first attempt.
    >
    > In the process of correcting display the installed software became
    > corrupt.
    >
    > I tried reinstalling the O/S using a DVD marked 1/06 Solaris 10 O/S
    > x64/x86 (Is this the latest version? )

    No, I just got thru downloading the 11/06 version and seems to install
    ok for me today.

    > and on the first attempt, ( I
    > chose the upgrade option, so the previous corrupt installation must
    > have remained ) the installed O/S did not boot with error messages
    > such as "check boot archive content"", "46 independant services not
    > running) and "11 dependant services not running".
    >
    > After several attempts, I again installed, this time, choosing the new
    > installation option, which proceeded smoothly. The display resolution
    > at the beginning of the installation was shown as 1024x1200 (the
    > maximum for the HP monitor attached)so the display resolution problem
    > appeared solved.
    >
    > But again after installation, the machine booted by launching install
    > launcher, to install "additional software". But it did not find
    > "Solaris 10 Documentation" and "Java Enterprise System", I chose
    > options to skip installation of these components and the final screen
    > appeared with a "reboot now" button. When the button was pressed the
    > machine did not reboot, I tried several times, and when manually
    > rebooted the system, it again went into the "Install Launcher" loop to
    > install additional software not present in the DVD.
    >
    > What do I do???

    was pretty buggy, but this version seems to work well.

+ Reply to Thread