Darn patching problems - Solaris

This is a discussion on Darn patching problems - Solaris ; I have a X2200 M2 and a X2100 M2 running Solaris 10 U3 (11/06) and it seems like everytime to do a patch update using 'smpatch update', it goes through it's paces, patches what it can, gives me the message ...

  1. Darn patching problems

    I have a X2200 M2 and a X2100 M2 running Solaris 10 U3 (11/06) and it
    seems like everytime to do a patch update using 'smpatch update', it
    goes through it's paces, patches what it can, gives me the message
    about remaining will be patched during next reboot...

    I do a 'shutdown -i6 -g0 -y', it goes through the patches, says it
    successful, then give me "Updating boot archive....This may take a
    minute...."

    It then reboots and fails to boot, saying corrupt boot-archive...

    So off to boot in "Failsafe" mode, fsck both drives (mirrored using
    SDS), mount each / partition, move /platform/i86/boot-archive to boot-
    archive.old, then run 'bootadm -R /a update-archive' and it does it's
    thing, sure enough it replaces the boot-archive, I can then reboot and
    everything is fine.

    This is VERY annoying. This was a huge problem with Solaris 10 U2
    (06/06) too, I was hoping that it was fixed with the U3 edition.
    Fresh rebuild too...

    Anyone have any insight? I have tried patching in run-level 3 so the
    zones could be patched, I have done a 'init S' to drop down to single
    user after using 'smpatch download', and they all seem to do the same
    thing.

    The difference in the boot-archive file is huge between the failed and
    the one that I update. The failed one that was updated as part of the
    patch process is like 70k, while the updated one if I remember
    correctly is at least 270k, that may be off, I'm going from memory
    right now.

    Thanks for the insight!

  2. Re: Darn patching problems

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:58:36 -0800, te wrote:
    > The difference in the boot-archive file is huge between the failed and
    > the one that I update. The failed one that was updated as part of the
    > patch process is like 70k, while the updated one if I remember
    > correctly is at least 270k, that may be off, I'm going from memory
    > right now.

    Could be that your / partition is full and there's not enough space to
    create the boot-archive. That happened to me at least once.

    Though if this is happening regularly to you, there might be something
    else wrong.

    j.

    "We did a risk management review. We concluded that there was no risk of
    any management." -- Dilbert
    :wq

  3. Re: Darn patching problems

    te@ivorypetal.com wrote:
    > I have a X2200 M2 and a X2100 M2 running Solaris 10 U3 (11/06) and it
    > seems like everytime to do a patch update using 'smpatch update', it
    > goes through it's paces, patches what it can, gives me the message
    > about remaining will be patched during next reboot...
    >
    > I do a 'shutdown -i6 -g0 -y', it goes through the patches, says it
    > successful, then give me "Updating boot archive....This may take a
    > minute...."
    >
    > It then reboots and fails to boot, saying corrupt boot-archive...
    >
    > So off to boot in "Failsafe" mode, fsck both drives (mirrored using
    > SDS), mount each / partition, move /platform/i86/boot-archive to boot-
    > archive.old, then run 'bootadm -R /a update-archive' and it does it's
    > thing, sure enough it replaces the boot-archive, I can then reboot and
    > everything is fine.
    >
    > This is VERY annoying. This was a huge problem with Solaris 10 U2
    > (06/06) too, I was hoping that it was fixed with the U3 edition.
    > Fresh rebuild too...
    >
    > Anyone have any insight? I have tried patching in run-level 3 so the
    > zones could be patched, I have done a 'init S' to drop down to single
    > user after using 'smpatch download', and they all seem to do the same
    > thing.
    >
    > The difference in the boot-archive file is huge between the failed and
    > the one that I update. The failed one that was updated as part of the
    > patch process is like 70k, while the updated one if I remember
    > correctly is at least 270k, that may be off, I'm going from memory
    > right now.
    >
    > Thanks for the insight!

    I just got thru going thru the same thing. But you will notice that a
    message in there stating to run svcadm plus some other command line
    options. Yes, it seems to be a problem but I managed to get everything
    up and running.

  4. Re: Darn patching problems

    I missed the svcadm part, I'll try and review the log files to see
    what I might have missed. I find it odd that svcadm command 'refresh'
    or not, would regenerate the boot-archive. Ohh well.

    This has been my only real frustrating part of Solaris 10. I have
    thoroughly enjoyed learning Zones and using ZFS. It has been great!

    On Feb 13, 8:41 pm, Maverick wrote:

    > I just got thru going thru the same thing. But you will notice that a
    > message in there stating to run svcadm plus some other command line
    > options. Yes, it seems to be a problem but I managed to get everything
    > up and running.

+ Reply to Thread