Compiling in a VMWare x86 for a Sunfire i64 platform, ok? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Compiling in a VMWare x86 for a Sunfire i64 platform, ok? - Solaris ; I have a Sunfire Galaxy (x2200 M2) server running two dual core Opteron processors. Being a server, I have installed the SUNWreq metacluster and only necessary packages and I'm heavily utilizing Zones. I have a couple packages that I am ...

  1. Compiling in a VMWare x86 for a Sunfire i64 platform, ok?

    I have a Sunfire Galaxy (x2200 M2) server running two dual core Opteron
    processors.

    Being a server, I have installed the SUNWreq metacluster and only
    necessary packages and I'm heavily utilizing Zones.

    I have a couple packages that I am needing to compile for the platform,
    but I do not have another Opteron system system to do the compiles on.

    I have a P4 3.06GHz Windows box here that I run Vmware on for all of my
    testing, etc... I have a Solaris 10 x86 installation on the box with
    all the GCC tools that come with Solaris. Are there any issues, or
    special flags I should give when building/compiling code on the 32bit
    Vmware system to work efficiently/correctly on the 64bit Opteron
    platform?

    I don't think it really makes a difference for things like DSPAM or
    other utils like that, but I am concerned for items maybe like NTOP
    which is a little more intrusive than a normal application.

    Just looking for any issues or special "configure" flags.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Compiling in a VMWare x86 for a Sunfire i64 platform, ok?

    te@ivorypetal.com wrote:
    > I have a Sunfire Galaxy (x2200 M2) server running two dual core Opteron
    > processors.
    >
    > Being a server, I have installed the SUNWreq metacluster and only
    > necessary packages and I'm heavily utilizing Zones.
    >
    > I have a couple packages that I am needing to compile for the platform,
    > but I do not have another Opteron system system to do the compiles on.

    Why not create a zone for building on the server and install Sun Studio
    there?

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread