Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly) - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly) - Solaris ; Hi All, Got some issues with Solaris express x86 atm. bash-3.00$ uname -a SunOS solaris.mydomain.net 5.11 snv_48 i86pc i386 i86pc These seem to be mainly issues with gnome, perhaps others have had them too. If i dont get them sorted, ...

  1. Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Hi All,

    Got some issues with Solaris express x86 atm.

    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS solaris.mydomain.net 5.11 snv_48 i86pc i386 i86pc

    These seem to be mainly issues with gnome, perhaps others have
    had them too. If i dont get them sorted, I am going back to Sol 10.

    a) No shutdown option in Gnome, either as the root user or ordinary
    user! Only functions in the launch menu of this type, are "Log out" or
    "lock screen", I have to keep opening a terminal, obtaining superuser
    priviligies and shutting the system down from the command prompt!
    irritating! There is also no shutdown option from the graphical login.

    bash-3.00$ svcs -a |grep graphical
    disabled Nov_04 svc:/application/graphical-login/gdm:default
    online Nov_04 svc:/application/graphical-login/cde-login:default

    b) The "lock screen" option in gnome does nothing. Click it, nothing
    happens.

    c) No updates available from the sun update manager? I know for a fact
    there should be at least 6 available updates as I just installed Sun
    Studio 11, when I did this under Sol 10, there were half a dozen updates
    for that alone straight after I installed it.

    What gives?

    Should I go back to Sol 10? The only reason I went to Sol Express was
    for new hardware support, Sol express supports the NIC on my
    motherboard. I was hoping Sol express would also have a newer revision
    of Xorg and could give ma a better video performance, I have a
    motherboard with an 945GM chipset and integrated video. Video is
    functional but sluggish.

    Thanks
    Alex

  2. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Alex wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Got some issues with Solaris express x86 atm.
    >
    > bash-3.00$ uname -a
    > SunOS solaris.mydomain.net 5.11 snv_48 i86pc i386 i86pc
    >
    > These seem to be mainly issues with gnome, perhaps others have
    > had them too. If i dont get them sorted, I am going back to Sol 10.
    >
    > a) No shutdown option in Gnome, either as the root user or ordinary
    > user! Only functions in the launch menu of this type, are "Log out" or
    > "lock screen", I have to keep opening a terminal, obtaining superuser
    > priviligies and shutting the system down from the command prompt!
    > irritating! There is also no shutdown option from the graphical login.

    Have you tried the power switch?

    > bash-3.00$ svcs -a |grep graphical
    > disabled Nov_04 svc:/application/graphical-login/gdm:default
    > online Nov_04 svc:/application/graphical-login/cde-login:default
    >
    > b) The "lock screen" option in gnome does nothing. Click it, nothing
    > happens.

    Works fine for me on build 49.

    > c) No updates available from the sun update manager? I know for a fact
    > there should be at least 6 available updates as I just installed Sun
    > Studio 11, when I did this under Sol 10, there were half a dozen updates
    > for that alone straight after I installed it.

    Just use PCA, the only patches you can use on Express builds are for
    unbundled products like Studio.

    > What gives?
    >
    > Should I go back to Sol 10? The only reason I went to Sol Express was
    > for new hardware support, Sol express supports the NIC on my
    > motherboard. I was hoping Sol express would also have a newer revision
    > of Xorg and could give ma a better video performance, I have a
    > motherboard with an 945GM chipset and integrated video. Video is
    > functional but sluggish.

    Well you should see significantly better performance from Gnome 2.14
    than you did with Solaris 10.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Have you tried the power switch?

    Thats a bit brutal dont you think? Did they remove the option
    because people have power switches on their computers? Wont I lose
    data/risk damagine the filesystem doing that?

    >> b) The "lock screen" option in gnome does nothing. Click it, nothing
    >> happens.
    >>

    > Works fine for me on build 49.

    Possible the problem was fixed in build 49? Where could I start to look
    to see what the issue is?

    > Just use PCA, the only patches you can use on Express builds are for
    > unbundled products like Studio.

    I guess thats an alternative, why doesnt the sun update manager work though?

    > Well you should see significantly better performance from Gnome 2.14
    > than you did with Solaris 10.

    It definitely is a better performance, and good to see Firefox and
    thunderbord there by default.

  4. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Alex wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried the power switch?

    > Thats a bit brutal dont you think? Did they remove the option
    > because people have power switches on their computers? Wont I lose
    > data/risk damagine the filesystem doing that?

    You should see a popup prompting you to shut-down or continue.

    desktop-discuss@opensolaris.org

    >> Just use PCA, the only patches you can use on Express builds are for
    >> unbundled products like Studio.

    > I guess thats an alternative, why doesnt the sun update manager work
    > though?

    Possibly because there aren't any patches for Express.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  5. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Alex wrote:
    >> Ian Collins wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have you tried the power switch?

    >> Thats a bit brutal dont you think? Did they remove the option
    >> because people have power switches on their computers? Wont I lose
    >> data/risk damagine the filesystem doing that?
    >>

    > You should see a popup prompting you to shut-down or continue.

    >>> Works fine for me on build 49.

    >> Possible the problem was fixed in build 49? Where could I start to look
    >> to see what the issue is?
    >>

    > desktop-discuss@opensolaris.org
    >
    >>> Just use PCA, the only patches you can use on Express builds are for
    >>> unbundled products like Studio.

    >> I guess thats an alternative, why doesnt the sun update manager work
    >> though?
    >>

    > Possibly because there aren't any patches for Express.

    Found that disabling the screensaver, breaks the "lock screen" function.
    I turned screensaver back on, now lock screen works.

  6. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    ahh..

    I remember why i disabled the screensaver in the first place now,
    I kept getting errors when it was on.

    Seems that no X-Screensavers are installed.

    Is the missing package available?

  7. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Alex wrote:
    > ahh..
    >
    > I remember why i disabled the screensaver in the first place now,
    > I kept getting errors when it was on.
    >
    > Seems that no X-Screensavers are installed.
    >
    > Is the missing package available?

    The screensaver works fine in the latest Express Gnome.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  8. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Ian Collins wrote:

    > The screensaver works fine in the latest Express Gnome.

    http://empire.acmeshells.com/~ahhyes/screenshot.jpg

    Thats what I have

  9. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    In article <4r5jdeFpg5qvU6@individual.net>,
    Ian Collins wrote:
    >Alex wrote:
    >> I guess thats an alternative, why doesnt the sun update manager work
    >> though?
    >>

    >Possibly because there aren't any patches for Express.

    Are the patches that Don Grantham and company have been rolling
    out for SUC client first integrated into Rich Green and company's
    Solaris Express?

    Perhaps the SUC bits for S10 are more current than the ones in
    Express.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  10. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Alex writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |Should I go back to Sol 10? The only reason I went to Sol Express was
    |for new hardware support, Sol express supports the NIC on my
    |motherboard. I was hoping Sol express would also have a newer revision
    |of Xorg and could give ma a better video performance, I have a
    |motherboard with an 945GM chipset and integrated video. Video is
    |functional but sluggish.

    Xorg in Solaris 10 6/06 and Solaris Nevada/Express are both at 6.9 right
    now and very similar. That's going to change soon. Nevada Build 52
    will provide support in Xorg for DRI on Intel 830-915 chips (update for
    945 & 965 support coming later). Soon after that (exact build not yet
    set), Xorg 7.2 should integrate into Nevada as well.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

  11. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Alex writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |Ian Collins wrote:
    |>
    |> The screensaver works fine in the latest Express Gnome.
    |>

    |http://empire.acmeshells.com/~ahhyes/screenshot.jpg
    |
    |Thats what I have

    Looks like SUNWxscreensaver-hacks and SUNWxscreensaver-hacks-gl were
    not installed. (Should fix the error message to list the correct
    package name.)

    You'll also be unable to select screensavers if you login as root, as
    a security precaution.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/
    http://del.icio.us/alanc/ * http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/

  12. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Alan Coopersmith wrote:
    > Alex writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    > |Ian Collins wrote:
    > |>
    > |> The screensaver works fine in the latest Express Gnome.
    > |>

    > |http://empire.acmeshells.com/~ahhyes/screenshot.jpg
    > |
    > |Thats what I have
    >
    > Looks like SUNWxscreensaver-hacks and SUNWxscreensaver-hacks-gl were
    > not installed. (Should fix the error message to list the correct
    > package name.)
    >
    > You'll also be unable to select screensavers if you login as root, as
    > a security precaution.

    Thank you for the reply.

    Are the packages in question on the installation CD's? It will sure be
    fun sifting through all 6 of them to find out...

    Alex

  13. Re: Solaris Express problems (gnome mainly)

    Alex writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |Alan Coopersmith wrote:
    |> Alex writes in alt.solaris.x86:

    |> |
    |> |http://empire.acmeshells.com/~ahhyes/screenshot.jpg
    |> |
    |> |Thats what I have
    |>
    |> Looks like SUNWxscreensaver-hacks and SUNWxscreensaver-hacks-gl were
    |> not installed. (Should fix the error message to list the correct
    |> package name.)
    |>
    |> You'll also be unable to select screensavers if you login as root, as
    |> a security precaution.
    |>

    |Thank you for the reply.
    |
    |Are the packages in question on the installation CD's? It will sure be
    |fun sifting through all 6 of them to find out...

    Yes - though I don't know which ones. (I usually use DVD or network
    install.)