Solaris 10 6/06 hanging on boot - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 6/06 hanging on boot - Solaris ; I have a Solaris 10 machine running on x86 hardware, which I am primarly using as a fileserver using the ZFS file system for my /export/home storage. I needed to reboot the machine this morning to ensure hostname/IP changes were ...

  1. Solaris 10 6/06 hanging on boot

    I have a Solaris 10 machine running on x86 hardware, which I am
    primarly using as a fileserver using the ZFS file system for my
    /export/home storage.

    I needed to reboot the machine this morning to ensure hostname/IP
    changes were okay after some network changes, but it hung after
    "hostname:
    I edited the boot sequence in GRUB to add a -v to the kernel line to
    give me more verbosity to what is going on, and the system is hanging
    after the following appears:

    pweudo-device: power0
    power0 is /pseudo/power@0

    any suggestions on what to do/try? I am stuck.

    KRistofer

  2. Re: Solaris 10 6/06 hanging on boot

    > pweudo-device: power0
    > power0 is /pseudo/power@0
    >
    > any suggestions on what to do/try? I am stuck.

    As a followup, I booted into failsafe and removed /etc/zfs/zpool.cache
    and the system booted fine. I then did a "zfs import" and then used -f
    to force-import my pool.. it appears that some errors poured out and
    the system hung.

    I booted again and there was an error with the console service, but I
    dropped to maintenance mode, made a snapshot of all of my ZFS file
    systems and sent them over to another machine. While doing that, there
    were 3 file systems that encountered an internal error in
    zfs_dataset.c. I had to mount them into /temp, do an "ls -l /temp", and
    set the mountpoint back to none with zfs before a snapshot would be
    created.

    Apparently something got hosed up with ZFS and I'm not quite sure what.

    Kristofer

  3. Re: Solaris 10 6/06 hanging on boot

    Kristofer wrote:
    >>pweudo-device: power0
    >>power0 is /pseudo/power@0
    >>
    >>any suggestions on what to do/try? I am stuck.

    > As a followup, I booted into failsafe and removed /etc/zfs/zpool.cache
    > and the system booted fine. I then did a "zfs import" and then used -f
    > to force-import my pool.. it appears that some errors poured out and
    > the system hung.
    >
    > I booted again and there was an error with the console service, but I
    > dropped to maintenance mode, made a snapshot of all of my ZFS file
    > systems and sent them over to another machine. While doing that, there
    > were 3 file systems that encountered an internal error in
    > zfs_dataset.c. I had to mount them into /temp, do an "ls -l /temp", and
    > set the mountpoint back to none with zfs before a snapshot would be
    > created.
    >
    > Apparently something got hosed up with ZFS and I'm not quite sure what.

    I suggest you send as much information as you can in a mail to

    zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org

    That's where the ZFS developers can be found.

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread