multiple ttys? - Solaris

This is a discussion on multiple ttys? - Solaris ; Hi All, Just some quick questions on solaris 10 x 86 Under Free/OpenBSD I was able to switch between multiple terminals using the ALT-Fn keys or CTRL-ALT-Fn keys, is there an equivilent for Solaris or is only 1 tty opened ...

  1. multiple ttys?

    Hi All,

    Just some quick questions on solaris 10 x 86

    Under Free/OpenBSD I was able to switch between multiple terminals
    using the ALT-Fn keys or CTRL-ALT-Fn keys, is there an equivilent
    for Solaris or is only 1 tty opened by default? if so, can this be changed?

    Second question is, whats the proper way to disable GDM? I want to use
    pure console, no X or Gnome etc (on a laptop that has not much RAM).

    Thanks!
    Alex

  2. Re: multiple ttys?

    Alex R wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Just some quick questions on solaris 10 x 86
    >
    > Under Free/OpenBSD I was able to switch between multiple terminals
    > using the ALT-Fn keys or CTRL-ALT-Fn keys, is there an equivilent
    > for Solaris or is only 1 tty opened by default? if so, can this be changed?

    There was support for multiple virtual consoles in Solaris 2.6, but
    unfortunately this had to be dropped when USB was integrated into Xsun.
    So currently there is no support, but it is in the works. Visit
    opensolaris.org and look for the discussion list of the vconsole
    project, if you want to watch its progress.

    > Second question is, whats the proper way to disable GDM? I want to use
    > pure console, no X or Gnome etc (on a laptop that has not much RAM).

    $ svcadm disable gdm2-login

    > Thanks!
    > Alex

    HTH,