Sound not working - Solaris

This is a discussion on Sound not working - Solaris ; Hi, Since the reinstallation of Solaris 10 1/06, my sound is disabled with the message "Couldn't open mixer device /dev/audioctl". I can't find a menu option to enable the sound. How can I solve this? Thanks Huub...

  1. Sound not working

    Hi,

    Since the reinstallation of Solaris 10 1/06, my sound is disabled with
    the message "Couldn't open mixer device /dev/audioctl". I can't find a
    menu option to enable the sound. How can I solve this?

    Thanks

    Huub

  2. Re: Sound not working

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:53:11 +0200, Huub wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Since the reinstallation of Solaris 10 1/06, my sound is disabled with
    > the message "Couldn't open mixer device /dev/audioctl". I can't find a

    That is in Gnome ? Yes ?

    In which case , Luanch -> Prefs ->Sound and enable system sound

    The on your toolbar there is a sound icon, select prefs on that and unmute

    > menu option to enable the sound. How can I solve this?

    I assume you did not add external drivers previously, but if you did this
    will help give you clues to where the driver can be found

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/device_detect.html

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  3. Re: Sound not working

    > I assume you did not add external drivers previously, but if you did this
    > will help give you clues to where the driver can be found
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/device_detect.html

    Forgot to state this, but I use JDS, so gnome. Nice tool, and it does
    tell me that my audio has driver audiovia823x. So I assume it should be
    working, or does it indicate I should load or install it to make it working?

  4. Re: Sound not working

    > Forgot to state this, but I use JDS, so gnome. Nice tool, and it does
    > tell me that my audio has driver audiovia823x. So I assume it should be
    > working, or does it indicate I should load or install it to make it
    > working?

    Ok, downloaded and installed the driver. Working great now.

+ Reply to Thread