Internet connection - Solaris

This is a discussion on Internet connection - Solaris ; This is probably a very stupid question but how do I set up internet connection on Solaris 10. I have ADSL. Thanks...

  1. Internet connection

    This is probably a very stupid question but how do I set up internet
    connection on Solaris 10. I have ADSL.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Internet connection

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:34:31 +0000, KarlJ wrote:

    > This is probably a very stupid question but how do I set up internet
    > connection on Solaris 10. I have ADSL.

    Plug your RJ45 cable into your ADSL router

    Plumb up the interface with DHCP

    You should be able to get the DNS servers with dhcpconfig or let your ADSL
    router do the work.

    This is assuming you have not just accepted an ISPs USB only router :-)

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  3. Re: Internet connection

    KarlJ wrote:
    > This is probably a very stupid question but how do I set up internet
    > connection on Solaris 10. I have ADSL.
    > Thanks

    for a WIRED interface
    Provided that you ISP runs a DHCP server.
    You need to know only the name of your Ethernet driver

    nge if its a nforce4 motherboard
    bge if you have a broadcom chip
    e1000g if its a Intel gigabit
    a.s.o

    then all you need to do is

    # ifconfig bge0 auto-dhcp

    for a broadcom chip.

    for a Wireless interface see
    http://www.opensolaris.org/os/commun...ptop/wireless/

    //Lars

  4. Re: Internet connection

    tunla wrote:
    > KarlJ wrote:
    >
    >>This is probably a very stupid question but how do I set up internet
    >>connection on Solaris 10. I have ADSL.
    >>Thanks

    > for a WIRED interface
    > Provided that you ISP runs a DHCP server.
    > You need to know only the name of your Ethernet driver
    >
    > nge if its a nforce4 motherboard
    > bge if you have a broadcom chip
    > e1000g if its a Intel gigabit
    > a.s.o
    >

    > then all you need to do is
    >
    > # ifconfig bge0 auto-dhcp

    Or simply invoke sys-unconfig to take your system back to a clean start
    and select DHCP when asked after the system reboots.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  5. Re: Internet connection

    Thanks for the advice but I don't know the name of Ethernet driver. I also
    have windows XP on the same computer. Can XP tell me the name?
    "tunla" skrev i meddelandet
    news:1161809341.943876.156160@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...

    > KarlJ wrote:
    >> This is probably a very stupid question but how do I set up internet
    >> connection on Solaris 10. I have ADSL.
    >> Thanks

    > for a WIRED interface
    > Provided that you ISP runs a DHCP server.
    > You need to know only the name of your Ethernet driver
    >
    > nge if its a nforce4 motherboard
    > bge if you have a broadcom chip
    > e1000g if its a Intel gigabit
    > a.s.o
    >

    > then all you need to do is
    >
    > # ifconfig bge0 auto-dhcp
    >
    > for a broadcom chip.

    > for a Wireless interface see
    > http://www.opensolaris.org/os/commun...ptop/wireless/
    >

    > //Lars

  6. Re: Internet connection

    I don't get any Q about DHCP. Can't get this to work.
    "Ian Collins" skrev i meddelandet
    > tunla wrote:
    >> KarlJ wrote:
    >>
    >>>This is probably a very stupid question but how do I set up internet
    >>>connection on Solaris 10. I have ADSL.
    >>>Thanks

    >> for a WIRED interface
    >> Provided that you ISP runs a DHCP server.
    >> You need to know only the name of your Ethernet driver
    >>
    >> nge if its a nforce4 motherboard
    >> bge if you have a broadcom chip
    >> e1000g if its a Intel gigabit
    >> a.s.o
    >>

    >> then all you need to do is
    >>
    >> # ifconfig bge0 auto-dhcp
    >>

    > Or simply invoke sys-unconfig to take your system back to a clean start
    > and select DHCP when asked after the system reboots.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.

  7. Re: Internet connection

    In article ,
    KarlJ wrote:
    >Thanks for the advice but I don't know the name of Ethernet driver. I also

    Lets see the output of prtpci.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  8. Re: Internet connection

    KarlJ wrote:
    Please don't top post.

    > "Ian Collins" skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>tunla wrote:

    >>>for a WIRED interface
    >>>Provided that you ISP runs a DHCP server.
    >>>You need to know only the name of your Ethernet driver
    >>>
    >>> nge if its a nforce4 motherboard
    >>> bge if you have a broadcom chip
    >>> e1000g if its a Intel gigabit
    >>> a.s.o
    >>>

    >>>then all you need to do is
    >>>
    >>># ifconfig bge0 auto-dhcp
    >>>

    >>Or simply invoke sys-unconfig to take your system back to a clean start
    >>and select DHCP when asked after the system reboots.
    >>

    > I don't get any Q about DHCP. Can't get this to work.

    It's one of the first questions you get asked, after you select which
    network interface you wish to configure (which answers another of you
    questions by listing the available interfaces).

    --
    Ian Collins.

  9. Re: Internet connection

    "KarlJ" skrev i meddelandet
    > This is probably a very stupid question but how do I set up internet
    > connection on Solaris 10. I have ADSL.
    > Thanks

    I give up! It's so easy in Linux, why not in Solaris.

  10. Re: Internet connection

    KarlJ wrote:
    > "KarlJ" skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>This is probably a very stupid question but how do I set up internet
    >>connection on Solaris 10. I have ADSL.
    >>Thanks
    >>

    > I give up! It's so easy in Linux, why not in Solaris.

    If you didn't get asked about DHCP after sys-unconfig, you NIC isn't
    recognised.

    Otherwise, setting up DHCP is trivial.

    --
    Ian Collins.