SVOSUG - Thur. 10/26 IP Instances, innovating VLANs and Solaris Containers - Solaris

This is a discussion on SVOSUG - Thur. 10/26 IP Instances, innovating VLANs and Solaris Containers - Solaris ; This Thursday, October 26th, 7:30pm-10:00pm Silicon Valley OpenSolaris User Group presents Sun Distinguished Engineer Erik Nordmark, speaking on IP Instances. The IP Instances project is taking zones networking to the next level. In the current Solaris 10 implementation of zones ...

  1. SVOSUG - Thur. 10/26 IP Instances, innovating VLANs and Solaris Containers

    This Thursday, October 26th, 7:30pm-10:00pm

    Silicon Valley OpenSolaris User Group presents Sun Distinguished
    Engineer Erik Nordmark, speaking on IP Instances.

    The IP Instances project is taking zones networking to the next level.
    In the current Solaris 10 implementation of zones there is a single
    instance of IP, even though each zone has its own IP addresses and
    transport port number spaces. This is sufficient for multiple zones
    being on the same VLAN or LAN. But when there is a need to connect
    different zones to different VLANs or LANs, there is often a need to
    provide complete IP-level isolation inside the box.

    IP Instances provides such isolation, and as a side-effect provides
    more IP features for non-global zones (DHCP, IPsec, IP Filter).

    Together with Crossbow (which Sunay Tripathi spoke on in August), IP
    Instances will push the limits on networking and provide state of the
    art solutions on OpenSolaris.

    In addition, we'll have a short presentation by Sangeeta Misra on the
    Surya project.

    Surya will deliver a fast forwarding table lookup scheme, a streamlined
    V4 forwarding path, and API functions for use by IP Filter. Surya
    speeds up forwarding throughput significantly.

    Both of these projects will help Solaris networking substantially, and
    could have a big impact on many applications running on Solaris within
    our community.

    When: Thursday, Oct. 26th, 2006
    Where: Sun's Santa Clara Campus Auditorium (upstairs)
    What: IP Instances, innovating VLANs and Solaris Containers
    Time: 7:30pm-10:00pm
    Map: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/resource...asj_dirmap.pdf

    Call-in Info:

    Toll Free: 866-545-5227
    Intnl/pay: 865-673-6950
    Conference: 809-64-14

  2. Re: SVOSUG - Thur. 10/26 IP Instances, innovating VLANs and Solaris Containers

    ** REMINDER ** REMINDER ** REMINDER **

    The slides for the Surya Presentation are available at this link, watch
    my blog for the link to the IP Instances slides, when available.

    http://blogs.sun.com/aland/resource/...esentation.pdf

    ajd

    Alan DuBoff wrote:
    > This Thursday, October 26th, 7:30pm-10:00pm
    >
    > Silicon Valley OpenSolaris User Group presents Sun Distinguished
    > Engineer Erik Nordmark, speaking on IP Instances.
    >
    > The IP Instances project is taking zones networking to the next level.
    > In the current Solaris 10 implementation of zones there is a single
    > instance of IP, even though each zone has its own IP addresses and
    > transport port number spaces. This is sufficient for multiple zones
    > being on the same VLAN or LAN. But when there is a need to connect
    > different zones to different VLANs or LANs, there is often a need to
    > provide complete IP-level isolation inside the box.
    >
    > IP Instances provides such isolation, and as a side-effect provides
    > more IP features for non-global zones (DHCP, IPsec, IP Filter).
    >
    > Together with Crossbow (which Sunay Tripathi spoke on in August), IP
    > Instances will push the limits on networking and provide state of the
    > art solutions on OpenSolaris.
    >
    > In addition, we'll have a short presentation by Sangeeta Misra on the
    > Surya project.
    >
    > Surya will deliver a fast forwarding table lookup scheme, a streamlined
    > V4 forwarding path, and API functions for use by IP Filter. Surya
    > speeds up forwarding throughput significantly.
    >
    > Both of these projects will help Solaris networking substantially, and
    > could have a big impact on many applications running on Solaris within
    > our community.
    >
    > When: Thursday, Oct. 26th, 2006
    > Where: Sun's Santa Clara Campus Auditorium (upstairs)
    > What: IP Instances, innovating VLANs and Solaris Containers
    > Time: 7:30pm-10:00pm
    > Map: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/resource...asj_dirmap.pdf
    >
    > Call-in Info:
    >
    > Toll Free: 866-545-5227
    > Intnl/pay: 865-673-6950
    > Conference: 809-64-14

  3. Re: SVOSUG - Thur. 10/26 IP Instances, innovating VLANs and Solaris Containers

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 06:23:33 -0400, Alan DuBoff
    wrote:

    > This Thursday, October 26th, 7:30pm-10:00pm
    >
    > Silicon Valley OpenSolaris User Group presents Sun Distinguished
    > Engineer Erik Nordmark, speaking on IP Instances.

    Yesssss!

    > The IP Instances project is taking zones networking to the next level.
    > In the current Solaris 10 implementation of zones there is a single
    > instance of IP, even though each zone has its own IP addresses and
    > transport port number spaces. This is sufficient for multiple zones
    > being on the same VLAN or LAN. But when there is a need to connect
    > different zones to different VLANs or LANs, there is often a need to
    > provide complete IP-level isolation inside the box.
    >
    > IP Instances provides such isolation, and as a side-effect provides
    > more IP features for non-global zones (DHCP, IPsec, IP Filter).
    >
    > Together with Crossbow (which Sunay Tripathi spoke on in August), IP
    > Instances will push the limits on networking and provide state of the
    > art solutions on OpenSolaris.
    >
    > In addition, we'll have a short presentation by Sangeeta Misra on the
    > Surya project.
    >
    > Surya will deliver a fast forwarding table lookup scheme, a streamlined
    > V4 forwarding path, and API functions for use by IP Filter. Surya
    > speeds up forwarding throughput significantly.
    >
    > Both of these projects will help Solaris networking substantially, and
    > could have a big impact on many applications running on Solaris within
    > our community.
    >
    > When: Thursday, Oct. 26th, 2006
    > Where: Sun's Santa Clara Campus Auditorium (upstairs)
    > What: IP Instances, innovating VLANs and Solaris Containers
    > Time: 7:30pm-10:00pm
    > Map: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/resource...asj_dirmap.pdf
    >
    > Call-in Info:
    >
    > Toll Free: 866-545-5227