studio11 - Solaris

This is a discussion on studio11 - Solaris ; What is the recommended way of installing sun studio11? I have some zones too. I tried to install it in a userzone (in which I compile a lot too), but that did not work. Do I have to install it ...

  1. studio11

    What is the recommended way of installing sun studio11? I have some
    zones too. I tried to install it in a userzone (in which I compile a lot
    too), but that did not work. Do I have to install it in the global zone?
    But how can I access it then in a non local zone?

    Help appreciated.

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  2. Re: studio11

    "Dick Hoogendijk" wrote:
    > What is the recommended way of installing sun studio11? I have some
    > zones too. I tried to install it in a userzone (in which I compile a lot
    > too), but that did not work.

    Installation in a zone requires a whole root zone.

    If everything else fails, you can always fall back on pkgadd.

    Thomas

  3. Re: studio11

    quoting Thomas Dehn (Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:14:47 +0200):

    > "Dick Hoogendijk" wrote:
    >> What is the recommended way of installing sun studio11? I have some
    >> zones too. I tried to install it in a userzone (in which I compile a
    >> lot too), but that did not work.

    > Installation in a zone requires a whole root zone.
    >
    > If everything else fails, you can always fall back on pkgadd.

    Then I'll live without studio for now. It's a sparse zone..
    That leaves gmake and gcc then. O well. I'm only too happy that I finally
    found out how to do some compiling on s10. This way I can run software not
    (yet) supported by blastwave / sunfreesoftware.
    Like i.e. my favo windowmanager fvwm2, driven by some perl scripts.
    I needed the development version of fvwm and qiv and I have them now.

    Still some things to find out though as of _why_ my .zprofile is processed
    in the global zone login and /not/ in a non global one (given the same
    ..dtloginrc file). Neither is the .zshrc file by the way. Can't figure out
    why this behaviour differs from a global login. I understood it should be
    the same.. I now set the right path in the /etc/dt/config/ file,
    but I still think it should be handled on the user level. (???)

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

+ Reply to Thread