Solaris / Windows dual-boot - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris / Windows dual-boot - Solaris ; Greetings! I am looking for a business that would like to configure a computer the way I would like it, and then sell it to me. I guess that would be a value-added reseller. I would like a dual-boot Solaris ...

  1. Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    Greetings!

    I am looking for a business that would like to configure a computer the
    way I would like it, and then sell it to me. I guess that would be a
    value-added reseller.

    I would like a dual-boot Solaris / Windows machine. I have my eye on a
    Hewlett-Packard if that will work -- the nx9420 ev268aa. Note that
    this is a laptop, albeit a desktop-replacement laptop.

    So probably, a Solaris shop would be best. A shop that's deeply
    involved in both Windows and Solaris would be ideal, but that's
    probably unobtainable.

    Ideas? Do you run such a business?

    Regards,

    Abraham

  2. Re: Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    AbrahamLincolnIllinois@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Greetings!
    >
    > I am looking for a business that would like to configure a computer the
    > way I would like it, and then sell it to me. I guess that would be a
    > value-added reseller.
    >
    > I would like a dual-boot Solaris / Windows machine. I have my eye on a
    > Hewlett-Packard if that will work -- the nx9420 ev268aa. Note that
    > this is a laptop, albeit a desktop-replacement laptop.
    >
    > So probably, a Solaris shop would be best. A shop that's deeply
    > involved in both Windows and Solaris would be ideal, but that's
    > probably unobtainable.
    >
    > Ideas? Do you run such a business?
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Abraham

    Are you an American ?

  3. Re: Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    > Are you an American ?

    Ah! Considerations of export. I see.

    Yes, I am. Born in Illinois. Got as far as Michigan, briefly.

    I can certify my citizenship if necessary.

    Regards,

    Abraham

  4. Re: Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    AbrahamLincolnIllinois@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> Are you an American ?

    > Ah! Considerations of export. I see.

    just go buy a decent dell and do the solaris your self

    if you cant then try SimplyMepis until your comfortable /

    > Yes, I am. Born in Illinois. Got as far as Michigan, briefly.
    >
    > I can certify my citizenship if necessary.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Abraham

  5. Re: Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, atec77 wrote:

    > just go buy a decent dell and do the solaris your self

    Is there such a thing as a decent Dell? I recommend the OP goes for
    one of the Acer laptops. Get one that has a 64-bit processor.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  6. Re: Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    Thanks for the input, fellows.

    I am surprised nobody makes a business out of this. Many of us would
    like to avoid configuration hell.

    Apparently SimpleMepis is a Linux distribution? My new employers use
    almost exclusively Solaris.

    I wonder if there are certain graphics cards that won't work with
    Solaris, certain brands of disk drive that have trouble, things like
    that. Once, I bought MicroPort Unix for a PC, and discovered that my
    CD reader wasn't the specific brand that it *had* to have.

    I think my machine meets the size and speed requirements, but are there
    compatibilities issues to watch out for?

    Regards,

    Abraham

  7. Re: Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, AbrahamLincolnIllinois@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I am surprised nobody makes a business out of this. Many of us would
    > like to avoid configuration hell.

    Your best bet then is to stick to machines listed in the HCL.

    > Apparently SimpleMepis is a Linux distribution? My new employers use
    > almost exclusively Solaris.

    Your new employers are smart. :-)

    > I think my machine meets the size and speed requirements, but are there
    > compatibilities issues to watch out for?

    NVidia frame buffers are well supported. Again, stick to the HCL
    (or ask about specific configs here BEFORE spending cash) for the
    least bumpy ride.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  8. Re: Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    AbrahamLincolnIllinois@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I think my machine meets the size and speed requirements, but are there
    > compatibilities issues to watch out for?

    One thing you can do is to run the solaris install check tool.
    This is a bootable "Live CD" that you boot off , and it will do
    some
    tests on your hardware and report which pieces of you hardware
    there is drivers for and which hardware bits that does not have
    drivers
    on the Solaris 06/06 release.

    You will need to look for drivers for those hardwer items elsewhere.

    http://www.sun.com/download/products.xml?id=44cf9756

    //Lars

  9. Re: Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:23:48 GMT Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, atec77 wrote:
    >
    >> just go buy a decent dell and do the solaris your self

    > Is there such a thing as a decent Dell?

    Yes, most of them.

  10. Re: Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    Lars,

    Bless you.

    Bless your parents, bless your children, bless your dog.

    Regards,

    Abraham

    > One thing you can do is to run the solaris install check tool.

  11. Re: Solaris / Windows dual-boot

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, AbrahamLincolnIllinois@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    >>I am surprised nobody makes a business out of this. Many of us would
    >>like to avoid configuration hell.

    > Your best bet then is to stick to machines listed in the HCL.
    >

    >>Apparently SimpleMepis is a Linux distribution? My new employers use
    >>almost exclusively Solaris.

    > Your new employers are smart. :-)
    >

    >>I think my machine meets the size and speed requirements, but are there
    >>compatibilities issues to watch out for?

    > NVidia frame buffers are well supported. Again, stick to the HCL
    > (or ask about specific configs here BEFORE spending cash) for the
    > least bumpy ride.

    As well as the HCL, look here: "Solaris 10 Listing of Products"
    and here "Solaris
    Ready Products"

    And get the install check ISO, too, at
    and run it on