Limiting seti@home CPU use - Solaris

This is a discussion on Limiting seti@home CPU use - Solaris ; I've got the BOINC seti@home running on a Solaris 10 laptop. It works OK but the fan is running continiously. I want to reduce the CPU available to seti to the point where the fan runs intermittently. Everything I read ...

  1. Limiting seti@home CPU use

    I've got the BOINC seti@home running on a Solaris 10 laptop. It works OK
    but the fan is running continiously. I want to reduce the CPU available to
    seti to the point where the fan runs intermittently.

    Everything I read suggests I can only limit the ratio of CPU use between
    competing processes, not absolute use.

    Am I missing a trick or technique that would allow me to limit the seti
    process to only, say, 25% of the available CPU even when there is no other
    demands on CPU power?

    Thanks,

    --
    Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

  2. Re: Limiting seti@home CPU use

    news@buffy.sighup.org.uk wrote:
    > I've got the BOINC seti@home running on a Solaris 10 laptop. It works OK
    > but the fan is running continiously. I want to reduce the CPU available to
    > seti to the point where the fan runs intermittently.
    >
    > Everything I read suggests I can only limit the ratio of CPU use between
    > competing processes, not absolute use.
    >
    > Am I missing a trick or technique that would allow me to limit the seti
    > process to only, say, 25% of the available CPU even when there is no other
    > demands on CPU power?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Hi,

    What compiler and what version of Solaris did you build on?
    I cant get BOINC to build.

    I get the following error:

    bash-3.00$ gmake
    gmake all-recursive
    gmake[1]: Entering directory `/export/home/alex/boinc'
    Making all in m4
    gmake[2]: Entering directory `/export/home/alex/boinc/m4'
    gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/export/home/alex/boinc/m4'
    Making all in api
    gmake[2]: Entering directory `/export/home/alex/boinc/api'
    source='boinc_api.C' object='boinc_api.o' libtool=no \
    DEPDIR=.deps depmode=none /bin/sh ../depcomp \
    /export/home/alex/sunstudio/SUNWspro/bin/CC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
    -KPIC -DPIC -I../lib -I../api -I../db -I../client -I../tools
    -I../sched -I/usr/sfw/inc lude/mysql -xstrconst -mt -D_REENTRANT -KPIC
    -DPIC -I../lib -I../api -I../db - I../client -I../tools -I../sched
    -I/usr/sfw/include/mysql -xstrconst -mt -D_REEN TRANT -g -I/usr/include
    -I/usr/include/openssl -D_REENTRANT -c -o boinc_api.o boinc_api.C
    CC: Warning: Option -xstrconst passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored
    otherwise
    CC: Warning: Option -xstrconst passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored
    otherwise
    "/usr/include/math.h", line 213: Error: The name exception is ambiguous,
    excepti on and std::exception.
    "/usr/include/math.h", line 213: Error: The name exception is ambiguous,
    excepti on and std::exception.
    "boinc_api.C", line 803: Warning (Anachronism): Formal argument 3 of
    type extern "C" void*(*)(void*) in call to pthread_create(unsigned*,
    const _pthread_attr*, extern "C" void*(*)(void*), void*) is being passed
    void*(*)(void*).
    "boinc_api.C", line 810: Warning (Anachronism): Assigning void(*)(int)
    to extern "C" void(*)(int).
    2 Error(s) and 2 Warning(s) detected.
    gmake[2]: *** [boinc_api.o] Error 2
    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/export/home/alex/boinc/api'
    gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/alex/boinc'
    gmake: *** [all] Error 2

    Its whinging about something being wrong with math.h?

    I am using Sunstudio 11. gcc fails miserably trying to use pthreads.
    If you're using the same tools as i did, where did you pull your source
    code from?

    Cheers
    Alex

  3. Re: Limiting seti@home CPU use

    Alex wrote:
    > What compiler and what version of Solaris did you build on?

    I downloaded a pre-compiled copy from a website
    http://www.lb.shuttle.de/apastron/bo...n.shtml#solx86

    BTW, I believe I have a solution to my original question. While there is no
    way to limit CPU available to a process to an abolute value it is possible
    to regulate how a program runs with pstop and prun.

    If I only allow seti to run for 20% of the time, the laptop fan doesn't
    start. A bit of trickery with a shell script should solve the noisy fan
    problem.

    --
    Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

+ Reply to Thread