Solaris 10 Still Not Playing Nice With Others. - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 Still Not Playing Nice With Others. - Solaris ; Hi Folks: Sadly, I spend most of my time with Window development, but I hate Windows and love Solaris. Adding Solaris 10 1/06 to a PC running Win2K trashed the Win2K install. It kept asking for login info and wouldn't ...

  1. Solaris 10 Still Not Playing Nice With Others.

    Hi Folks:

    Sadly, I spend most of my time with Window development,
    but I hate Windows and love Solaris.

    Adding Solaris 10 1/06 to a PC running Win2K trashed the
    Win2K install. It kept asking for login info and wouldn't
    come up. I had to re-installed Win2K.

    Solaris 10 06/06 seems to do the same thing.

    I'll continue to promote Solaris where ever I can, but
    this isn't a way to make friends.

    I hope someone can look into the issues surrounding this.

    Larry

  2. Re: Solaris 10 Still Not Playing Nice With Others.

    On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:32:40 -0700, Larry Lindstrom
    wrote:

    >Hi Folks:
    >
    > Sadly, I spend most of my time with Window development,
    >but I hate Windows and love Solaris.
    >
    > Adding Solaris 10 1/06 to a PC running Win2K trashed the
    >Win2K install. It kept asking for login info and wouldn't
    >come up. I had to re-installed Win2K.
    >
    > Solaris 10 06/06 seems to do the same thing.
    >
    > I'll continue to promote Solaris where ever I can, but
    >this isn't a way to make friends.
    >
    > I hope someone can look into the issues surrounding this.

    I have tripped over something like this before w/Solaris and Win2k.
    If autologin is enabled, it just loops on "loading settings -
    saving settings". Another symptom sometimes seen is "missing
    pagefile" or something like that.

    I am usually able to avoid this by carefully noting the C,H,S
    values in the partition table prior to the Solaris install and
    restoring them after - before rebooting Win2K.

    I have also had some success booting DOS and doing an FDISK /MBR
    once Win2k has barfed.

    I suspect that Win2k loses track of its %system root% when the
    partition table gets fiddled in this way.

    No idea why a Solaris install _still_ insists on screwing with
    the partition tables. BTW, XP doesn't seem to care. It just
    does its dealing with new hardware thing and goes on...

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  3. Re: Solaris 10 Still Not Playing Nice With Others.

    On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:49:42 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:32:40 -0700, Larry Lindstrom
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Folks:
    >>
    >> Sadly, I spend most of my time with Window development,
    >>but I hate Windows and love Solaris.
    >>
    >> Adding Solaris 10 1/06 to a PC running Win2K trashed the
    >>Win2K install. It kept asking for login info and wouldn't
    >>come up. I had to re-installed Win2K.
    >>
    >> Solaris 10 06/06 seems to do the same thing.
    >>
    >> I'll continue to promote Solaris where ever I can, but
    >>this isn't a way to make friends.
    >>
    >> I hope someone can look into the issues surrounding this.
    >>

    > I have tripped over something like this before w/Solaris and Win2k.
    > If autologin is enabled, it just loops on "loading settings -
    > saving settings". Another symptom sometimes seen is "missing
    > pagefile" or something like that.
    >
    > I am usually able to avoid this by carefully noting the C,H,S
    > values in the partition table prior to the Solaris install and
    > restoring them after - before rebooting Win2K.
    >
    > I have also had some success booting DOS and doing an FDISK /MBR
    > once Win2k has barfed.
    >
    > I suspect that Win2k loses track of its %system root% when the
    > partition table gets fiddled in this way.
    >
    > No idea why a Solaris install _still_ insists on screwing with

    Easiest appraoch is top clear yopur disk downand resize *before*
    installing Solaris.

    If you use PartMagig or similar resize your WinXP disk and leave some
    space , say 10gb unused.

    Then install Solaris. It will se the space and format it as Soalris2

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  4. Re: Solaris 10 Still Not Playing Nice With Others.

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:24:30 GMT, Bruce Porter
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:49:42 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:32:40 -0700, Larry Lindstrom
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi Folks:
    >>>
    >>> Sadly, I spend most of my time with Window development,
    >>>but I hate Windows and love Solaris.
    >>>
    >>> Adding Solaris 10 1/06 to a PC running Win2K trashed the
    >>>Win2K install. It kept asking for login info and wouldn't
    >>>come up. I had to re-installed Win2K.
    >>>
    >>> Solaris 10 06/06 seems to do the same thing.
    >>>
    >>> I'll continue to promote Solaris where ever I can, but
    >>>this isn't a way to make friends.
    >>>
    >>> I hope someone can look into the issues surrounding this.
    >>>

    >> I have tripped over something like this before w/Solaris and Win2k.
    >> If autologin is enabled, it just loops on "loading settings -
    >> saving settings". Another symptom sometimes seen is "missing
    >> pagefile" or something like that.
    >>
    >> I am usually able to avoid this by carefully noting the C,H,S
    >> values in the partition table prior to the Solaris install and
    >> restoring them after - before rebooting Win2K.
    >>
    >> I have also had some success booting DOS and doing an FDISK /MBR
    >> once Win2k has barfed.
    >>
    >> I suspect that Win2k loses track of its %system root% when the
    >> partition table gets fiddled in this way.
    >>
    >> No idea why a Solaris install _still_ insists on screwing with

    >Easiest appraoch is top clear yopur disk downand resize *before*
    >installing Solaris.
    >
    >If you use PartMagig or similar resize your WinXP disk and leave some
    >space , say 10gb unused.
    >
    >Then install Solaris. It will se the space and format it as Soalris2

    That's probably all true, but doesn't necessarily avoid _this_
    problem.

    I always create my own partitions in advance: win, linux, solaris,
    whatever. Regardless of whether the solaris partition exists prior to
    the solaris installation or is created _during_ the installation, the
    solaris install always screws with the CHS values of the existing
    partitions. Including the "foreign" ones. Not nice.

    I've done dozens of multiboot installs and have never seen it
    _not_ do this. That's why it's important to take a detailed snapshot
    of the partition table prior to letting solaris anywhere near a
    multiboot box. Especially with pre XP co-tennants and some of the
    crankier windows-oriented boot managers.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  5. Re: Solaris 10 Still Not Playing Nice With Others.

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 07:01:18 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:24:30 GMT, Bruce Porter
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:49:42 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:

    >>> I have tripped over something like this before w/Solaris and Win2k.
    >>> If autologin is enabled, it just loops on "loading settings -
    >>> saving settings". Another symptom sometimes seen is "missing
    >>> pagefile" or something like that.
    >>>
    >>> I am usually able to avoid this by carefully noting the C,H,S
    >>> values in the partition table prior to the Solaris install and
    >>> restoring them after - before rebooting Win2K.
    >>>
    >>> I have also had some success booting DOS and doing an FDISK /MBR
    >>> once Win2k has barfed.
    >>>
    >>> I suspect that Win2k loses track of its %system root% when the
    >>> partition table gets fiddled in this way.
    >>>
    >>> No idea why a Solaris install _still_ insists on screwing with

    >>Easiest appraoch is top clear yopur disk downand resize *before*
    >>installing Solaris.
    >>
    >>If you use PartMagig or similar resize your WinXP disk and leave some
    >>space , say 10gb unused.
    >>
    >>Then install Solaris. It will se the space and format it as Soalris2

    > That's probably all true, but doesn't necessarily avoid _this_
    > problem.
    >
    > I always create my own partitions in advance: win, linux, solaris,
    > whatever. Regardless of whether the solaris partition exists prior to
    > the solaris installation or is created _during_ the installation, the
    > solaris install always screws with the CHS values of the existing
    > partitions. Including the "foreign" ones. Not nice.
    >
    > I've done dozens of multiboot installs and have never seen it
    > _not_ do this. That's why it's important to take a detailed snapshot
    > of the partition table prior to letting solaris anywhere near a
    > multiboot box. Especially with pre XP co-tennants and some of the
    > crankier windows-oriented boot managers.

    I have done hundreds of multiboot installs, ,many in the laptop arena and
    have only had issues when WinXP was used to format the disk (ie a 36Gb
    showing as 46Gb).

    A lot of work has been done around fdisk, I thought these issues had been
    resolved.

    If I think on and find the time I will check

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  6. Re: Solaris 10 Still Not Playing Nice With Others.

    Bill Waddington wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:24:30 GMT, Bruce Porter
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:49:42 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:

    < Snip >

    >> If you use PartMagig or similar resize your WinXP disk and leave some
    >> space , say 10gb unused.
    >>
    >> Then install Solaris. It will se the space and format it as Soalris2

    I had just low level formated the drive, then installed
    Win2K on half of it, leaving the other half for Solaris.

    Because I'd run into this with Solaris 10 1/06, I had
    only done a light install of Win2k. I hadn't done the
    work after installation like setting up drivers.

    > That's probably all true, but doesn't necessarily avoid _this_
    > problem.
    >
    > I always create my own partitions in advance: win, linux, solaris,
    > whatever. Regardless of whether the solaris partition exists prior to
    > the solaris installation or is created _during_ the installation, the
    > solaris install always screws with the CHS values of the existing
    > partitions. Including the "foreign" ones. Not nice.
    >
    > I've done dozens of multiboot installs and have never seen it
    > _not_ do this. That's why it's important to take a detailed snapshot
    > of the partition table prior to letting solaris anywhere near a
    > multiboot box. Especially with pre XP co-tennants and some of the
    > crankier windows-oriented boot managers.

  7. Re: Solaris 10 Still Not Playing Nice With Others.

    Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    > Bill Waddington wrote:

    < Snip >

    >> That's probably all true, but doesn't necessarily avoid _this_
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I always create my own partitions in advance: win, linux, solaris,
    >> whatever. Regardless of whether the solaris partition exists prior to
    >> the solaris installation or is created _during_ the installation, the
    >> solaris install always screws with the CHS values of the existing
    >> partitions. Including the "foreign" ones. Not nice.
    >>
    >> I've done dozens of multiboot installs and have never seen it
    >> _not_ do this. That's why it's important to take a detailed snapshot
    >> of the partition table prior to letting solaris anywhere near a
    >> multiboot box. Especially with pre XP co-tennants and some of the
    >> crankier windows-oriented boot managers.

    Oops, Sent before finishing:

    Can you describe what you do to record the partition
    table, and apply that information to a drive with an
    existing copy of Win2k?

    I'm low level formatting the drives right now.

    I'll use the Solaris install to setup all of the
    partitions, then install Win2K on the drive.

    Microsoft can pull this kind of crap, and people will
    still put their BS on 90% of the computers. But Sun and
    the Open Solaris, which I lack the time and skills to
    assist, can't mistreat users if Solaris is going to grow.

    Thanks
    Larry

  8. Re: Solaris 10 Still Not Playing Nice With Others.

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:28:50 -0700, Larry Lindstrom
    wrote:

    >Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    >> Bill Waddington wrote:

    > < Snip >

    >Oops, Sent before finishing:
    >
    > Can you describe what you do to record the partition
    >table, and apply that information to a drive with an
    >existing copy of Win2k?
    >
    > I'm low level formatting the drives right now.
    >
    > I'll use the Solaris install to setup all of the
    >partitions, then install Win2K on the drive.
    >
    > Microsoft can pull this kind of crap, and people will
    >still put their BS on 90% of the computers. But Sun and
    >the Open Solaris, which I lack the time and skills to
    >assist, can't mistreat users if Solaris is going to grow.

    I tend to use System Commander for my boot manager. Probably
    should get over that, since it may be part of the problem
    SC has a utility called scout that dumps a full description
    of the drive(s) and table(s) to scout.txt. I save scout.txt
    pre-install, then use another SC utility called SCIN to edit
    the partition table to repair after install. SCIN can be run
    from the boot CD.

    If you don't happen to have System Commander lying around
    you might spin up a copy of Knoppix and use the expert mode
    of fdisk, or sfdisk, or whatever to save the info and
    restore it later. Be sure to get the CHS values.

    Another random way to come in by the back door: create a couple
    of partitions in advance. Install Solaris in the 2nd partition
    1st, install 2k, xp or whatever, spin up the Solaris CD and
    re-install grub. That way the sol install can't damage the win
    partition. I haven't tried this. You can probably also use
    the win bootloader to chainload solaris - also not tried.

    Or does S10 U2 use grub? I've been installing Nevada lately
    and I don't know what bootloader S10 uses these days.

    Sorry I don't have info specific to S10 and 2k handy. I'm in
    the middle of struggling w/multiboot on my W1100Z. Currently
    has XP, S10 FCS , Nevada B48, 8 versions of Linux on it for driver
    testing and sounds like it's getting ready for takeoff...

    Bill