Error in writing to directory /tmp/Orainstall ..... - Solaris

This is a discussion on Error in writing to directory /tmp/Orainstall ..... - Solaris ; I have been searching for answers to this question ... but all I have found is other people asking the same question..but I have not found an answer... I am trying to install Oracle 10g on Solaris 10 on x86. ...

  1. Error in writing to directory /tmp/Orainstall .....

    I have been searching for answers to this question ... but all I have found
    is other people asking the same question..but I have not found an answer...

    I am trying to install Oracle 10g on Solaris 10 on x86. When I run the
    installer I get the following error message:

    "Error in writing to directory /tmp/OraInstall2006-10-12_05-05-40PM. Please
    ensure that this directory is writable and has atleast 69 MB of disk space.
    Installation cannot continue"

    Even though /tmp has more than enough space, and I have changed all the
    permissions for /tmp recursively to 777.

    # ./runinstaller
    Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

    Checking installer requirements...

    Checking operating system version: must be 5.10. Actual 5.10 Passed

    Checking Temp space: must be greater than 250 MB. Actual 3181 MB Passed

    Checking swap space: must be greater than 500 MB. Actual 3300 MB Passed

    Checking monitor: must be configured to display atleast 256 colors.
    Actual 16777216 Passed

    All installer requirements met.

    Error in writing to directory /tmp/OraInstall2006-10-12_05-05-40PM. Please
    ensure that this directory is writable and has atleast 69 MB of disk space.
    Installation cannot continue.:

    Error 0

    #

    Thanks in advance ....

    --

    to reply via email - remove the "nospam_" from the reply to address ...

  2. Re: Error in writing to directory /tmp/Orainstall .....

    [dead and invalid newsgroups: comp.database.oracle,comp.databases.oracle
    removed]

    In article <66idnTjcgtHdL7PYnZ2dnUVZ_tadnZ2d@comcast.com>,
    riggor wrote:
    >Even though /tmp has more than enough space, and I have changed all the
    >permissions for /tmp recursively to 777.

    # chmod u+rwxt,g+rwx,o+rwx /tmp

    ># ./runinstaller
    >Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

    I recall that you're supposed to run runinstaller as oracle
    and not root.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Error in writing to directory /tmp/Orainstall .....

    "John D Groenveld" wrote in message
    > [dead and invalid newsgroups: comp.database.oracle,comp.databases.oracle
    > removed]
    >
    > In article <66idnTjcgtHdL7PYnZ2dnUVZ_tadnZ2d@comcast.com>,
    > riggor wrote:
    >>Even though /tmp has more than enough space, and I have changed all the
    >>permissions for /tmp recursively to 777.

    > # chmod u+rwxt,g+rwx,o+rwx /tmp
    >
    >># ./runinstaller
    >>Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

    > I recall that you're supposed to run runinstaller as oracle
    > and not root.
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org

    ugh - yes - thanks