Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information... - Solaris

This is a discussion on Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information... - Solaris ; I found this *incredibly* useful page while I was looking for a SATA controller for my S10 x64 box - makes me wonder why I wasted my time looking at the HCL: I/O TECHNOLOGIES AND SOLUTIONS Solaris 10 Listing of ...

  1. Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    I found this *incredibly* useful page while I was looking for a SATA
    controller for my S10 x64 box - makes me wonder why I wasted my time
    looking at the HCL:
    I/O TECHNOLOGIES AND SOLUTIONS Solaris 10 Listing of Products

    Hmmm, it's under a topic "Solaris Ready"... Which has "Solaris Ready
    Products" ...

    Okay, *why* hasn't this stuff been trumpeted far and wide for all those
    who come along looking for "help, my wundercard-Z doesn't work under
    Solaris, what should I get to replace it." and "What device-N is
    available for Solaris."

    Now, all I have to do is find a supplier in Oz for the bits I want (but
    that's another problem).

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

  2. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    In alt.solaris.x86 Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > I found this *incredibly* useful page while I was looking for a SATA
    > controller for my S10 x64 box - makes me wonder why I wasted my time
    > looking at the HCL:
    > I/O TECHNOLOGIES AND SOLUTIONS Solaris 10 Listing of Products

    There is all kinds of useful stuff in Suns web site that is almost
    impossible to find because of the crap indexing.

    --
    Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

  3. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    On 2006-10-12 04:17:06 +0100, "Gary R. Schmidt" said:

    > I found this *incredibly* useful page while I was looking for a SATA
    > controller for my S10 x64 box - makes me wonder why I wasted my time
    > looking at the HCL:
    > I/O TECHNOLOGIES AND SOLUTIONS Solaris 10 Listing of Products

    Great find! That saves a painful trip to the HCL :-)

    Cheers,

    Chris

  4. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    In article <4p5qdnFh0m4uU1@individual.net>,
    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >Okay, *why* hasn't this stuff been trumpeted far and wide for all those
    >who come along looking for "help, my wundercard-Z doesn't work under
    >Solaris, what should I get to replace it." and "What device-N is
    >available for Solaris."

    I believe ihvteam@sun.com will reach at least one of Anil Gadre and
    company's marketing wonks for Solaris IHV relations.

    That the Solaris Ready Program pages have been extensively updated
    would make a fine article for Anil Gadre and company's BigAdmin
    newsletter.

    BTW kudos to Anil Gadre and company's marketing wonks.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  5. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:17:06 +1000, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > I found this *incredibly* useful page while I was looking for a SATA
    > controller for my S10 x64 box - makes me wonder why I wasted my time
    > looking at the HCL:
    > I/O TECHNOLOGIES AND SOLUTIONS Solaris 10 Listing of Products
    >

    > Hmmm, it's under a topic "Solaris Ready"... Which has "Solaris Ready
    > Products" ...

    Hmph. I took a look, and frankly, I think that it's useless.

    I'm currently looking to buy a new PC, and the models that I'm looking
    at have mainly LSI 1064 or 3041 SAS/SATA HBAs. Neither of these are on
    the above page, yet LSI's web site says that they are supported.

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
    Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

  6. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    Paul Floyd wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:17:06 +1000, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >
    >>I found this *incredibly* useful page while I was looking for a SATA
    >>controller for my S10 x64 box - makes me wonder why I wasted my time
    >>looking at the HCL:
    >>I/O TECHNOLOGIES AND SOLUTIONS Solaris 10 Listing of Products
    >>

    >>Hmmm, it's under a topic "Solaris Ready"... Which has "Solaris Ready
    >>Products" ...

    > Hmph. I took a look, and frankly, I think that it's useless.
    >
    > I'm currently looking to buy a new PC, and the models that I'm looking
    > at have mainly LSI 1064 or 3041 SAS/SATA HBAs. Neither of these are on
    > the above page, yet LSI's web site says that they are supported.

    Well, that's what the "Solaris 10 Test CD" is for. I can't recall the
    exact title, but it's free download, you'll find it.

    Burn the ISO to a CD, boot a machine from it, and it tells you just how
    much will work.

    Take the CD to your local peecee shop, say, "Find me a box within these
    parameters that passes this", and wait for the 'phone call.

    I did that, I now have an ASUS P5P800-MX motherboard with a P4-EMT64 in
    it, sunning Solaris 10 in 64-bit mode, and everything on the motherboard
    works out Of the box! Even sound!!!

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  7. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    On 2006-10-13, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

    >> Hmph. I took a look, and frankly, I think that it's useless.
    >>
    >> I'm currently looking to buy a new PC, and the models that I'm looking
    >> at have mainly LSI 1064 or 3041 SAS/SATA HBAs. Neither of these are on
    >> the above page, yet LSI's web site says that they are supported.
    >>

    > Well, that's what the "Solaris 10 Test CD" is for. I can't recall the
    > exact title, but it's free download, you'll find it.

    Indeed, as an extension to the HCL list ;-)

    Its called the 'Installation check tool', current version being 1.1 and
    can be found on:
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/install_check.html.

    But quite frankly its not /that/ great since all it basicly does is list
    your hardware (which every linux live cd can do) after which you can
    check if the hardware will work.

    Still, if you simply wish to use Solaris then the HCL is more usefull
    since this will also list hardware which is said to work. There's no
    guarantee, but it does expand your options.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  8. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    > I did that, I now have an ASUS P5P800-MX motherboard with a P4-EMT64 in
    > it, sunning Solaris 10 in 64-bit mode, and everything on the motherboard
    > works out Of the box! Even sound!!!

    That's great to hear. Let me try that too on a P4-EMT64. What graphics
    card and NIC did you use?

    --
    Raqueeb Hassan
    Bangladesh

  9. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    Raqueeb Hassan wrote:

    >> I did that, I now have an ASUS P5P800-MX motherboard with a P4-EMT64 in
    >> it, sunning Solaris 10 in 64-bit mode, and everything on the motherboard
    >> works out Of the box! Even sound!!!

    > That's great to hear. Let me try that too on a P4-EMT64. What graphics
    > card and NIC did you use?

    Both are built-in to the MB. Intel 81945 and Realtek 8139.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

  10. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    In article ,
    John D Groenveld wrote:
    >In article <4p5qdnFh0m4uU1@individual.net>,
    >Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >>Okay, *why* hasn't this stuff been trumpeted far and wide for all those
    >>who come along looking for "help, my wundercard-Z doesn't work under
    >>Solaris, what should I get to replace it." and "What device-N is
    >>available for Solaris."

    >I believe ihvteam@sun.com will reach at least one of Anil Gadre and
    >company's marketing wonks for Solaris IHV relations.
    >
    >That the Solaris Ready Program pages have been extensively updated
    >would make a fine article for Anil Gadre and company's BigAdmin
    >newsletter.

    WHAT bigAdmin newsletter? Never heard of one. (And I'm "on service"!)

    Where to sign up?

    >BTW kudos to Anil Gadre and company's marketing wonks.
    >
    >John
    >groenveld@acm.org

    Thanks!

    David

  11. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    In article <4p6327FhduikU2@individual.net>,
    Chris Ridd wrote:
    >On 2006-10-12 04:17:06 +0100, "Gary R. Schmidt" said:
    >
    >> I found this *incredibly* useful page while I was looking for a SATA
    >> controller for my S10 x64 box - makes me wonder why I wasted my time
    >> looking at the HCL:
    >> I/O TECHNOLOGIES AND SOLUTIONS Solaris 10 Listing of Products
    >>

    >Great find! That saves a painful trip to the HCL :-)

    Stupid question: what *is* an "HCL"?

    Thanks,

    David

  12. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    David Combs wrote:
    [snip]

    > Stupid question: what *is* an "HCL"?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David

    Hardware Compatibility List

    Basically a list of hardware known to operate correctly with said software.
    Mostly applies to driver support but even the kernel can't be expected to
    run on everything [ think the "NetBSD Toaster" project -
    http://www.embeddedarm.com/news/netbsd_toaster.htm ]. :-)

    I've gotten so I look to see if all the hardware I'm thinking of purchasing
    will actually be usuable when it comes time to install the OS. It also
    matters in larger environments when it comes to the service contract(s)
    support. If the hardware/software combo isn't validated by the vendor they
    won't help you. Consultation previous to purchase can prevent having
    hardware on hand that you can't use for what you bought it for in the first
    place.

    -Jason

  13. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    David Combs wrote:

    > In article <4p6327FhduikU2@individual.net>,
    > Chris Ridd wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-10-12 04:17:06 +0100, "Gary R. Schmidt" said:
    >>

    >>>I found this *incredibly* useful page while I was looking for a SATA
    >>>controller for my S10 x64 box - makes me wonder why I wasted my time
    >>>looking at the HCL:
    >>>I/O TECHNOLOGIES AND SOLUTIONS Solaris 10 Listing of Products
    >>>

    >>Great find! That saves a painful trip to the HCL :-)

    > Stupid question: what *is* an "HCL"?

    "Hardware Compatibility List".

    It's the sort of item which *should* be produced by Sun itself, rather
    than relying on users to submit systems and components. Yes, users
    should say "it works on A", but Sun should also publish a list of what
    the kernel already supports, in a way that allows more people to work
    out if things are supported.

    If the page I found (Solaris 10 Listing of Products, above) is supposed
    to be that, it's not useful, one, because *IT'S* *NOT* *BLOODY* *WELL*
    *PUBLICISED*, and two because it's probably incomplete.

    Does anyone know of a document that Sun publishes that lists all known
    and suspected to work hardware, at the chip set level?

    As an aside, the MS HCL is well publicised, and easy to find, and backed
    up by MS.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  14. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

  15. Re: Here's a useful bit of hidden sun information...

    Thanx for the URL. Like someone else indicated, whatever information
    you're looking is probably on Sun's website somewhere ... but finding it
    may not happen.

    I find it interesting that at
    http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/S10List.html, I can see that my
    Plantronics headset has been approved (big deal), but almost no hard
    drives (_big_ deal). There is no entry for Hitachi, yet my newest Sun
    box came with Hitachi drives. Nothing for Seagate either. Two Maxtor
    drives, though. Hmmm... not too hard to read between those lines.

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > I found this *incredibly* useful page while I was looking for a SATA
    > controller for my S10 x64 box - makes me wonder why I wasted my time
    > looking at the HCL:
    > I/O TECHNOLOGIES AND SOLUTIONS Solaris 10 Listing of Products
    >

    > Hmmm, it's under a topic "Solaris Ready"... Which has "Solaris Ready
    > Products" ...
    >
    > Okay, *why* hasn't this stuff been trumpeted far and wide for all those
    > who come along looking for "help, my wundercard-Z doesn't work under
    > Solaris, what should I get to replace it." and "What device-N is
    > available for Solaris."
    >
    > Now, all I have to do is find a supplier in Oz for the bits I want (but
    > that's another problem).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gary B-)

+ Reply to Thread