pkgrm in Safe Mode - Solaris

This is a discussion on pkgrm in Safe Mode - Solaris ; Help! I've installed a driver for my sound card from http://www.opensound.com . Now my computer will continuously reboot, unless I put it in safe mode. I am using Solaris 10 6/06 with the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card. According to ...

  1. pkgrm in Safe Mode

    Help!

    I've installed a driver for my sound card from http://www.opensound.com.
    Now my computer will continuously reboot, unless I put it in safe mode.
    I am using Solaris 10 6/06 with the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.
    According to the documentation i should issue 'pkgrm oss' to uninstall it.

    How do I do this in safe mode? - if i mount /a on /dev/dsk/c0d1s0 and
    /a/var on /dev/dsk/c0d1s6 (where I normally have / and /var
    respectively) and attempt a 'chroot /a /usr/sbin/pkgrm oss' I get an
    error "unable to open mount table : Inappropriate ioctl for
    device."

    Thanks

  2. Re: pkgrm in Safe Mode

    santiago538 wrote:
    > Help!
    >
    > I've installed a driver for my sound card from http://www.opensound.com.
    > Now my computer will continuously reboot, unless I put it in safe mode.
    > I am using Solaris 10 6/06 with the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.
    > According to the documentation i should issue 'pkgrm oss' to uninstall it.
    >
    > How do I do this in safe mode? - if i mount /a on /dev/dsk/c0d1s0 and
    > /a/var on /dev/dsk/c0d1s6 (where I normally have / and /var
    > respectively) and attempt a 'chroot /a /usr/sbin/pkgrm oss' I get an
    > error "unable to open mount table : Inappropriate ioctl for
    > device."

    Have you tried pkgrm -R /a oss?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: pkgrm in Safe Mode

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > santiago538 wrote:
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> I've installed a driver for my sound card from http://www.opensound.com.
    >> Now my computer will continuously reboot, unless I put it in safe mode.
    >> I am using Solaris 10 6/06 with the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.
    >> According to the documentation i should issue 'pkgrm oss' to uninstall it.
    >>
    >> How do I do this in safe mode? - if i mount /a on /dev/dsk/c0d1s0 and
    >> /a/var on /dev/dsk/c0d1s6 (where I normally have / and /var
    >> respectively) and attempt a 'chroot /a /usr/sbin/pkgrm oss' I get an
    >> error "unable to open mount table : Inappropriate ioctl for
    >> device."
    >>

    > Have you tried pkgrm -R /a oss?

    I did now, but it doesn't work. It seems the preremove script will
    attempt to access files in /usr/lib/oss, which it does not find. Attempting
    ln -s /a/usr/lib/oss /usr/lib/oss
    does not help because /usr is a read-only filesystem

  4. Re: pkgrm in Safe Mode

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <%4NVg.1681$ji5.1439@trnddc04>,
    > santiago538 writes:
    >> Ian Collins wrote:

    > Well, try could try mounting it, but it might not help by itself...
    > mount -F mntfs mnttab /a/etc/mnttab

    OK, this seems to work, though I see "/usr/sbin/modinfo: get execname()
    failed" and a lot of other getexecname()'s failed (several screenfulls
    of messages), but at the end the pkgrm reported "Removal of was
    successful" and my computer is now able to boot up normally.

    >>> Have you tried pkgrm -R /a oss?
    >>>

    >> I did now, but it doesn't work. It seems the preremove script will
    >> attempt to access files in /usr/lib/oss, which it does not find. Attempting

    > Oh, the oss package has been built wrongly.

    Is there any good source of information on how to build packages?

    >> ln -s /a/usr/lib/oss /usr/lib/oss
    >> does not help because /usr is a read-only filesystem

    > mount -F lofs /a/usr/lib/oss /usr/lib/oss
    >
    > Probably won't work as /usr/lib/oss probably won't exist.

    That is true.

    > You do not actually have to remove the whole package, just do
    > enough damage to stop the driver loading. If you know the driver
    > name(s)/file(s), you could remove them. Then when you get the
    > system back up, do it tidily with pkgrm.

    Thanks for your help

+ Reply to Thread