Solaris 8 USB support ? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 8 USB support ? - Solaris ; I have a USB mouse i'm trying to use on my Athlon 800 with Solaris 8 - I think this is whats causing Openwin to fail with the followin errors: # /usr/openwin/bin/openwin NVidia,1: GeForce2 MX DDR (16384k @d8000000, [0.000 - ...

  1. Solaris 8 USB support ?

    I have a USB mouse i'm trying to use on my Athlon 800 with Solaris 8 - I
    think this is whats causing Openwin to fail with the followin errors:

    # /usr/openwin/bin/openwin
    NVidia,1: GeForce2 MX DDR (16384k @d8000000, [0.000 - 190.000MHz])
    VUIDGFORMAT: Invalid argument

    Fatal server error:
    failed to initialize core devices
    /usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Server error.

    When I change the mouse to, say, a PS2 mouse, it says cannot find
    /dev/kdmouse.
    I'm not sure how to establish connected hardware under solaris yet, suffice
    to say there is no red light on the bottom of my optical mouse.

    Can anyone provide feedback ? I'm not having much luck finding other info
    yet, although I beleive I'll probably need a patch of some sort...

  2. Re: Solaris 8 USB support ?

    In article <12i7de16k7vna64@corp.supernews.com>,
    Andy wrote:
    >When I change the mouse to, say, a PS2 mouse, it says cannot find
    >/dev/kdmouse.
    >I'm not sure how to establish connected hardware under solaris yet, suffice
    >to say there is no red light on the bottom of my optical mouse.

    kdmconfig(1M)

    >Can anyone provide feedback ? I'm not having much luck finding other info
    >yet, although I beleive I'll probably need a patch of some sort...

    Fetch Martin Paul's PCA and confirm you have all the latest recommended
    and security patches installed.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Solaris 8 USB support ?

    On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Andy wrote:

    > I have a USB mouse i'm trying to use on my Athlon 800 with Solaris 8 - I
    > think this is whats causing Openwin to fail with the followin errors:

    USB support on Solaris 8 is not ... optimal. Is there any chance
    you can upgrade to S10 (or even S9)? Their USB support is MUCH
    better.

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  4. Re: Solaris 8 USB support ?

    thanks rich, I may try 10.. i just dont wanna have to download cds again :/

    "Rich Teer" wrote in message
    news:Pine.SOL.4.64.0610040821330.20017@marrakesh.. .
    > On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Andy wrote:
    >
    >> I have a USB mouse i'm trying to use on my Athlon 800 with Solaris 8 - I
    >> think this is whats causing Openwin to fail with the followin errors:

    > USB support on Solaris 8 is not ... optimal. Is there any chance
    > you can upgrade to S10 (or even S9)? Their USB support is MUCH
    > better.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > --
    > Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member
    >
    > President,
    > Rite Online Inc.
    >
    > Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  5. Re: Solaris 8 USB support ?

    I will also try this PCA you mention..
    "John D Groenveld" wrote in message
    > In article <12i7de16k7vna64@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Andy wrote:
    >>When I change the mouse to, say, a PS2 mouse, it says cannot find
    >>/dev/kdmouse.
    >>I'm not sure how to establish connected hardware under solaris yet,
    >>suffice
    >>to say there is no red light on the bottom of my optical mouse.

    > kdmconfig(1M)
    >
    >>Can anyone provide feedback ? I'm not having much luck finding other info
    >>yet, although I beleive I'll probably need a patch of some sort...

    > Fetch Martin Paul's PCA and confirm you have all the latest recommended
    > and security patches installed.
    >

    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org

  6. Re: Solaris 8 USB support ?

    Andy wrote:
    > "Rich Teer" wrote in message
    > news:Pine.SOL.4.64.0610040821330.20017@marrakesh.. .
    >
    >>On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Andy wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a USB mouse i'm trying to use on my Athlon 800 with Solaris 8 - I
    >>>think this is whats causing Openwin to fail with the followin errors:

    >>USB support on Solaris 8 is not ... optimal. Is there any chance
    >>you can upgrade to S10 (or even S9)? Their USB support is MUCH
    >>better.
    >>

    > thanks rich, I may try 10.. i just dont wanna have to download cds
    > again :/

    It's worth it.

    --
    Ian Collins.