Solaris and vmware - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris and vmware - Solaris ; Hi, We have at my workplace a "big" Solaris 10 machine with 30Gb memory, and 20 processors. It runs a 1 terabyte Oracle 9i database. This setup is obviously not very flexible for testing purposes, and we'd like to virtualize ...

  1. Solaris and vmware

    Hi,

    We have at my workplace a "big" Solaris 10 machine with 30Gb memory,
    and 20 processors.
    It runs a 1 terabyte Oracle 9i database.

    This setup is obviously not very flexible for testing purposes, and
    we'd like to virtualize this environment, maybe with vmware.

    Would anyone have any experience with large virtualized system, or know
    where to get some ?

    Thanks for your advices !

  2. Re: Solaris and vmware

    > This setup is obviously not very flexible for testing purposes, and
    > we'd like to virtualize this environment, maybe with vmware.

    VMWare doesn't support Solaris as host, check their website. But then
    again, why bother? You can always utilize Solaris' zones.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  3. Re: Solaris and vmware

    On 2006-09-30 12:18:03 +0100, nicolas.rolland@gmail.com said:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We have at my workplace a "big" Solaris 10 machine with 30Gb memory,
    > and 20 processors.
    > It runs a 1 terabyte Oracle 9i database.

    Is this a SPARC system? I'd guess it is. VMware is an x86 thing
    unfortunately.

    > Would anyone have any experience with large virtualized system, or know
    > where to get some ?

    I would use zones for this.

  4. Re: Solaris and vmware

    On 2006-10-01 10:53:33 +0100, Tim Bradshaw said:

    > On 2006-09-30 12:18:03 +0100, nicolas.rolland@gmail.com said:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> We have at my workplace a "big" Solaris 10 machine with 30Gb memory,
    >> and 20 processors.
    >> It runs a 1 terabyte Oracle 9i database.

    > Is this a SPARC system? I'd guess it is.

    I'd have guessed SPARC too, but he *has* posted to alt.solaris.x86 so
    maybe not.

    > VMware is an x86 thing unfortunately.
    >>
    >> Would anyone have any experience with large virtualized system, or know
    >> where to get some ?

    > I would use zones for this.

    This seems like a no-brainer to me too, but maybe Oracle doesn't play
    well with zones?

    Cheers,

    Chris

  5. Re: Solaris and vmware

    On 2006-10-01 12:08:19 +0100, Chris Ridd said:

    > I'd have guessed SPARC too, but he *has* posted to alt.solaris.x86 so
    > maybe not.

    Oops, didn't notice NG. Still, 20CPU would seem to indicate SPARC -
    who makes x86 boxes that big?

    > This seems like a no-brainer to me too, but maybe Oracle doesn't play
    > well with zones?

    I think it's OK though probably not supported by Oracle.

    --tim

  6. Re: Solaris and vmware

    In article <1159615083.250324.103320@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >We have at my workplace a "big" Solaris 10 machine with 30Gb memory,
    >and 20 processors.
    >It runs a 1 terabyte Oracle 9i database.
    >

    >This setup is obviously not very flexible for testing purposes, and
    >we'd like to virtualize this environment, maybe with vmware.
    >

    >Would anyone have any experience with large virtualized system, or know
    >where to get some ?

    OK, until VMWARE 3 it supported vitulized machines of 3.6GB max.
    It only supports virtulized single, dual, or quad CPU machines.
    All this makes your environment a VERY good example on where NOT to
    virtulize using VMWARE. The only thing that virtulizes stuff like this
    easily and flexible is IBM system p5 boxes.

    Regards
    Fredrik

    --
    Fredrik Lundholm