Solaris 10 6/06 on Intel Core 2 Duo system? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 6/06 on Intel Core 2 Duo system? - Solaris ; Hello all, Is Intel Core 2 Duo supported fully on Solaris 10 6/06? I'm planning to build a small mail server and I'm still pondering between AMD Athlon X2 and Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. Opteron and Xeon are out ...

  1. Solaris 10 6/06 on Intel Core 2 Duo system?

    Hello all,

    Is Intel Core 2 Duo supported fully on Solaris 10 6/06?

    I'm planning to build a small mail server and I'm still pondering
    between AMD Athlon X2 and Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. Opteron and Xeon
    are out of question because of their price and I do not need the
    extra umpf they have.

    Cheers,
    Tomi

  2. Re: Solaris 10 6/06 on Intel Core 2 Duo system?

    On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Tomi Hakala wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Is Intel Core 2 Duo supported fully on Solaris 10 6/06?

    I believe so.

    > I'm planning to build a small mail server and I'm still pondering
    > between AMD Athlon X2 and Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. Opteron and Xeon

    Personally, I'd go the AMD route.

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  3. Re: Solaris 10 6/06 on Intel Core 2 Duo system?

    Tomi Hakala 提到:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Is Intel Core 2 Duo supported fully on Solaris 10 6/06?
    >
    > I'm planning to build a small mail server and I'm still pondering
    > between AMD Athlon X2 and Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. Opteron and Xeon
    > are out of question because of their price and I do not need the
    > extra umpf they have.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Tomi

    I tried to install on Lemel Dual Core 2. I went all the way to the HD
    partition step. Yet, I did not finish the installation. Based on my
    past experience, if you can reach this step, you can install Solairs all
    right. But as I read from previous articles, Solaris will not support
    the Dual Core architechure.

    Please correct me if know what I did not.

    Regards,
    zoom

  4. Re: Solaris 10 6/06 on Intel Core 2 Duo system?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Tomi Hakala wrote:
    >> I'm planning to build a small mail server and I'm still pondering
    >> between AMD Athlon X2 and Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. Opteron and Xeon

    > Personally, I'd go the AMD route.

    I'd prefer AMD yes.

    I am considering Asus M2N-E mobo because of its DDR2 RAM support but
    Nforce 570 chipset may be a bit too young for Solaris and I'm reading
    about NIC problems with Nforce..

    Tomi

  5. Re: Solaris 10 6/06 on Intel Core 2 Duo system?

    Tomi Hakala wrote:
    > Rich Teer wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Tomi Hakala wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm planning to build a small mail server and I'm still pondering
    >>> between AMD Athlon X2 and Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. Opteron and Xeon

    >> Personally, I'd go the AMD route.

    > I'd prefer AMD yes.
    >
    > I am considering Asus M2N-E mobo because of its DDR2 RAM support but
    > Nforce 570 chipset may be a bit too young for Solaris and I'm reading
    > about NIC problems with Nforce..

    I haven't tried one, but I know of others who have successfully used 570
    based AM2 boards.

    NIC problems tend to be related to the PHY, if the board uses the
    Marvell 88E1111 as used on the latest Asus SLI boards, there shouldn't
    be any problems.

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread