ITIL Foundation for Sys admin. - Solaris

This is a discussion on ITIL Foundation for Sys admin. - Solaris ; Hello ALL, I would like to know whether it would be advantage/useful for Solaris System Administrator (+ a bit of Middleware administrator) to go for ITIL Foundation certification probably after course. As we are a sys. admin are we fit ...

  1. ITIL Foundation for Sys admin.

    Hello ALL,

    I would like to know whether it would be advantage/useful for Solaris
    System Administrator (+ a bit of Middleware administrator) to go for
    ITIL Foundation certification probably after course.

    As we are a sys. admin are we fit for ITIL or is it really needed?
    does it add value to us?.(in term of better job scope, salary,
    recognition etc)

    I like to hear your opinion in this one.

    Regards

  2. Re: ITIL Foundation for Sys admin.

    grpdocs@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hello ALL,
    >
    > I would like to know whether it would be advantage/useful for Solaris
    > System Administrator (+ a bit of Middleware administrator) to go for
    > ITIL Foundation certification probably after course.
    >
    > As we are a sys. admin are we fit for ITIL or is it really needed?
    > does it add value to us?.(in term of better job scope, salary,
    > recognition etc)
    >
    > I like to hear your opinion in this one.
    >
    > Regards

    I've been a VMS system administrator for twenty-two years and a Solaris
    admin for three and I had to look up what ITIL was.

    I think most of us have a notion of what "best practices" are, or should
    be. We also have the problem that management doesn't want it done
    right; they want it done by Tuesday! We all pay for this sooner or
    later; witness the guy who posted here a couple of days ago looking for
    a method of finding out everything being done by a system he was
    supposed to build a backup for. Clearly it should have been documented
    when the original system was built, but was not.

  3. Re: ITIL Foundation for Sys admin.

    grpdocs@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello ALL,
    >
    > I would like to know whether it would be advantage/useful for Solaris
    > System Administrator (+ a bit of Middleware administrator) to go for
    > ITIL Foundation certification probably after course.
    >
    > As we are a sys. admin are we fit for ITIL or is it really needed?
    > does it add value to us?.(in term of better job scope, salary,
    > recognition etc)

    If you work for an organization that is using ITIL, then everyone in
    that organization _should_ at least have the foundation level.
    Personally, I like how ITIL breaks down problems into incident,
    problems and change (plus others). The foundation course will clarify
    what these terms mean and allow you to talk to managers/business people
    with a common language. I am 10 year + sysadmin / consultant. ITIL is
    now part of my life everyday. I like it.

    Cheers,

    -Doug

  4. Re: ITIL Foundation for Sys admin.

    Hello,
    grpdocs@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello ALL,
    >
    > I would like to know whether it would be advantage/useful for Solaris
    > System Administrator (+ a bit of Middleware administrator) to go for
    > ITIL Foundation certification probably after course.
    >
    > As we are a sys. admin are we fit for ITIL or is it really needed?
    > does it add value to us?.(in term of better job scope, salary,
    > recognition etc)
    >
    > I like to hear your opinion in this one.

    Some of the respondents have highlighted that ITIL has no technical
    value. Whilst this is true, knowing the concepts from ITIL is definitely
    useful, especially if you are working in a company where ITIL is in
    place, there are more and more of those everyday. Even if ITIL itself is
    not in place, if you work for a publicly traded company in the US, you
    will have to deal with Sarbanes Oxley and SoX requires that a number of
    the processes in ITIL are implemented.

    For an introduction to the concepts in ITIL, I would recommend reading
    the Sun Operations Management Capabilities Model paper;

    http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0205/819-1693.pdf

    For an introduction to how change management (one of the processes in
    ITIL) affects the work of System Administrators, I direct you to a paper
    I wrote as part of my Masters research;

    http://ndietsch.com/article2.pdf

    Kind Regards,

    Nathan Dietsch

    > Regards

  5. Re: ITIL Foundation for Sys admin.

    Nathan Dietsch wrote:
    > Hello,
    > grpdocs@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Hello ALL,
    > >
    > > I would like to know whether it would be advantage/useful for Solaris
    > > System Administrator (+ a bit of Middleware administrator) to go for
    > > ITIL Foundation certification probably after course.
    > >
    > > As we are a sys. admin are we fit for ITIL or is it really needed?
    > > does it add value to us?.(in term of better job scope, salary,
    > > recognition etc)
    > >
    > > I like to hear your opinion in this one.

    > Some of the respondents have highlighted that ITIL has no technical
    > value. Whilst this is true, knowing the concepts from ITIL is definitely
    > useful, especially if you are working in a company where ITIL is in
    > place, there are more and more of those everyday. Even if ITIL itself is
    > not in place, if you work for a publicly traded company in the US, you
    > will have to deal with Sarbanes Oxley and SoX requires that a number of
    > the processes in ITIL are implemented.
    >
    > For an introduction to the concepts in ITIL, I would recommend reading
    > the Sun Operations Management Capabilities Model paper;
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0205/819-1693.pdf
    >
    > For an introduction to how change management (one of the processes in
    > ITIL) affects the work of System Administrators, I direct you to a paper
    > I wrote as part of my Masters research;
    >
    > http://ndietsch.com/article2.pdf
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Nathan Dietsch
    >

    > > Regards

    Hi Nathan Dietsch

    Thanks a lot for your detailed reply . Appreciate your efforts and
    interest to share with me/group.

    As I already have Sun Certification in System (Sol 8), Network(Sol 9) &
    Security(Sol 9), thats why i thought whether it would be useful . Your
    answer shows the importance and I decided to go for the ITIL Foundation
    course.

    Once again thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

    Regards

  6. Re: ITIL Foundation for Sys admin.

    grpdocs@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello ALL,
    >
    > I would like to know whether it would be advantage/useful for Solaris
    > System Administrator (+ a bit of Middleware administrator) to go for
    > ITIL Foundation certification probably after course.
    >
    > As we are a sys. admin are we fit for ITIL or is it really needed?
    > does it add value to us?.(in term of better job scope, salary,
    > recognition etc)
    >
    > I like to hear your opinion in this one.
    >
    > Regards

    It depends what you want to do. As a company, it is definitely worth
    investing in ITIL skills since as well as support, ITIL will cover
    service management, Service Level Agreements, Change Management etc.

    As a system admin - if your company is going to create an IT Information
    Library, then all aspects need to be aware of their responsibilities so
    its definitely worth looking at.

    If you, as a support professional, are looking to study ITIL without
    your companies full support, then I would argue the benefits would be
    limited. It's certainly worth adding to a CV if you are thinking on
    toward a company that has an ITIL.

+ Reply to Thread