mailertable sendmail - Solaris

This is a discussion on mailertable sendmail - Solaris ; OK. My FEATURE(mailertable) does not work in solaris. Probably the syntax is different form fbsd or linux. The lines I had (have) in sendmail.mc are: FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T /etc/mail/access') FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable') FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable') This gives ...

  1. mailertable sendmail

    OK. My FEATURE(mailertable) does not work in solaris. Probably the
    syntax is different form fbsd or linux.

    The lines I had (have) in sendmail.mc are:

    FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T /etc/mail/access')
    FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
    FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')

    This gives me a access.db, mailertable.db etc.. on linux.
    I want to use a mailertable in solaris 10
    What is the right syntax?

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  2. Re: mailertable sendmail

    On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > OK. My FEATURE(mailertable) does not work in solaris. Probably the
    > syntax is different form fbsd or linux.

    Why would it be different? Sendmail is OS independant.

    > I want to use a mailertable in solaris 10
    > What is the right syntax?

    The sytax is correct. Make sure you've created the base file
    and have the the correct DB package specified. I think hashes
    use the Sleepycat DB stuff, and I'm not sure if that's available
    out of the box on Solaris. (I usually use the dbm database type,
    to avoid this.)

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  3. Re: mailertable sendmail

    Dick Hoogendijk writes:

    >The lines I had (have) in sendmail.mc are:

    >FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T /etc/mail/access')
    >FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
    >FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')

    Remove the "-o". Then you will get errors logged if there is a
    problem with your maps.

  4. Re: mailertable sendmail

    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > OK. My FEATURE(mailertable) does not work in solaris. Probably the
    > syntax is different form fbsd or linux.
    >
    > The lines I had (have) in sendmail.mc are:
    >
    > FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T /etc/mail/access')
    > FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
    > FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
    >
    > This gives me a access.db, mailertable.db etc.. on linux.
    > I want to use a mailertable in solaris 10
    > What is the right syntax?

    The sendmail web site is a most excellent resource. Even better, I find,
    is the O'Reilly book "Sendmail" by Bryan Costales. I hardly ever read it,
    because I hardly ever need to configure sendmail, but when I do use it I
    always find exactly what I need, straight from the index. I have the third
    edition.

    Section 4.8.24 is about FEATURE(mailertable). Syntax is suggested as:

    FEATURE(`mailertable')

    which causes the following:

    Kmailertable hash /etc/mail/mailertable

    where hash is derived from the setting of DATABASE_MAP_TYPE and /etc/mail
    is from MAIL_SETTINGS_DIR.

    If you wish to change the defaults without changing these two macros, you
    may use the alternative syntax:

    FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')

    This looks the same as what you have above, except for the quotes around
    the `mailertable'. I'm not sure that is significant in your case, but it
    may be.

    As was suggested elsewhere, you should also verify that the
    /etc/mail/mailertable file exists, and that your command does work outside
    of the context of sendmail.

    According to section 23.7.7 the hash type is only available if sendmail was
    compiled with NEWDB defined, and the Berkeley or Sleepycat db(3) library
    linked. You can get debugging info on the map lookups with the -d38.20
    command line switch.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  5. Re: mailertable sendmail

    quoting Tristram Scott (Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:00:26 GMT):
    > According to section 23.7.7 the hash type is only available if sendmail was
    > compiled with NEWDB defined, and the Berkeley or Sleepycat db(3) library
    > linked. You can get debugging info on the map lookups with the -d38.20
    > command line switch.

    Thank you for your extended reply. Also everbody else who has helped.
    The problem is solved.

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

+ Reply to Thread