shell question - Solaris

This is a discussion on shell question - Solaris ; I don't want to start a 'holy shell war' The normal Bourne shell is good enough for me, except I need a history! I get crazy retyping commands ;-) The fbsd sh does support history, Solaris' sh does not. OK. ...

  1. shell question

    I don't want to start a 'holy shell war'
    The normal Bourne shell is good enough for me, except I need a history!
    I get crazy retyping commands ;-) The fbsd sh does support history,
    Solaris' sh does not. OK.

    /If/ I must choose between tcsh or bash what would be the advantage of
    one of those two? Bash is nice, but has more of a memory print?

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  2. Re: shell question

    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > I don't want to start a 'holy shell war'
    > The normal Bourne shell is good enough for me, except I need a history!
    > I get crazy retyping commands ;-) The fbsd sh does support history,
    > Solaris' sh does not. OK.
    >
    > /If/ I must choose between tcsh or bash what would be the advantage of
    > one of those two? Bash is nice, but has more of a memory print?

    Could try Z-shell (zsh), history and completion is very good - already
    supplied with Solaris base O/S. zsh is certainly my favourite shell but
    then I have always preferred ksh variants over csh.

    Note that it has been moved in Solaris 10

    man -M /usr/sfw/share/man zsh

    Amen!
    John.

  3. Re: shell question

    Why not try the ksh (korn)? Similar to bourne but has a history and
    frequently used in mnay business using commercial UNIXes.

    ksh
    set -o vi

    Then use the k and subsequent k and j keys to scroll up to down the
    history. If j & k sound familiar to you, it is also the same as when in vi.
    This is also a hint that the h & l keys can be used to scroll over and then
    use vi commands like cw to change a work. Hit enter to execute the line
    when ready. Ctl-C if you want back to a blank command line.

    Very additive.

    Dave

    "Dick Hoogendijk" wrote in message
    >I don't want to start a 'holy shell war'
    > The normal Bourne shell is good enough for me, except I need a history!
    > I get crazy retyping commands ;-) The fbsd sh does support history,
    > Solaris' sh does not. OK.
    >
    > /If/ I must choose between tcsh or bash what would be the advantage of
    > one of those two? Bash is nice, but has more of a memory print?
    >
    > --
    > dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    > ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  4. Re: shell question

    quoting John Doe (Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:53:56 +0100):
    > Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >> /If/ I must choose between tcsh or bash what would be the advantage of
    >> one of those two? Bash is nice, but has more of a memory print?
    >>

    > Could try Z-shell (zsh), history and completion is very good - already
    > supplied with Solaris base O/S. zsh is certainly my favourite shell but
    > then I have always preferred ksh variants over csh.

    Only disadvantage is that zsh is not officially supported by solaris like
    the other shells are. That's why it's moved to /usr/sfw/bin.
    Plus it has a rather high memory footprint.

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

+ Reply to Thread