compiling - Solaris

This is a discussion on compiling - Solaris ; I fetched the mc (midnight commander) source and did a ./configure That worked (gcc was found after adding it to my PATH. Then I wanted to do a 'make' b but htis does not work. If I want to compile ...

  1. compiling

    I fetched the mc (midnight commander) source and did a ./configure
    That worked (gcc was found after adding it to my PATH.
    Then I wanted to do a 'make' b but htis does not work.

    If I want to compile software myslef on solaris 10, do I need sun studio
    or what? I cannot find 'make' (I'm used to a 'locate' database, but this
    is absent in sol10). What are the easiest steps to take when I want to
    compile some simple software packages?

    In did a full install of solaris 10 and have the supplimental DVD too.

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  2. Re: compiling

    "Dick Hoogendijk" wrote in message

    > or what? I cannot find 'make' (I'm used to a 'locate' database, but this

    tried gmake?

  3. Re: compiling

    quoting Yep (Sun, 24 Sep 2006 02:23:28 +1000):

    > "Dick Hoogendijk" wrote in message
    >>
    >> or what? I cannot find 'make' (I'm used to a 'locate' database, but this

    > tried gmake?

    Yes, in /usr/sfw/bin. But then (on the next line already) I get a warning
    about not finding 'make'

    What I did for the moment is symlinking gmake, gar, gas, gld to their
    'right' names (make, ar, as, ld in the same /usr/sfw/bin directory.

    I do nor really like this solution, bacause of the probable mix-up with
    gmake/make (sunos). I succeeded to compile mc in this way however.

    If no other 'solution' I'll end up with a little script that will set the
    path needed for compiling in which I'll compile my programs and then exit
    back to the normal path state.

    Is there a nicer way to compile (gnu pkgs) yourself?

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  4. Re: compiling

    On 2006-09-23 17:42:51 +0100, Dick Hoogendijk said:

    > quoting Yep (Sun, 24 Sep 2006 02:23:28 +1000):
    >>
    >> "Dick Hoogendijk" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> or what? I cannot find 'make' (I'm used to a 'locate' database, but this

    >> tried gmake?

    > Yes, in /usr/sfw/bin. But then (on the next line already) I get a warning
    > about not finding 'make'
    >
    > What I did for the moment is symlinking gmake, gar, gas, gld to their
    > 'right' names (make, ar, as, ld in the same /usr/sfw/bin directory.
    >
    > I do nor really like this solution, bacause of the probable mix-up with
    > gmake/make (sunos). I succeeded to compile mc in this way however.
    >
    > If no other 'solution' I'll end up with a little script that will set the
    > path needed for compiling in which I'll compile my programs and then exit
    > back to the normal path state.
    >
    > Is there a nicer way to compile (gnu pkgs) yourself?

    Programs configured using autoconf typically look for GNU versions of
    tools in your PATH, named with a "g" prefix. So they ought to find gawk
    etc.

    For make, just set MAKE=gmake in your environment.

    Also, go and get your free copy of Sun Studio 11.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  5. Re: compiling

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > I fetched the mc (midnight commander) source and did a ./configure
    > That worked (gcc was found after adding it to my PATH.
    > Then I wanted to do a 'make' b but htis does not work.
    >
    > If I want to compile software myslef on solaris 10, do I need sun studio
    > or what? I cannot find 'make' (I'm used to a 'locate' database, but this

    You need to add /usr/ccs/bin to your PATH; that's where make and
    some other tools live on Solaris.

    Sun Studio is not required, but very strongly recommended.

    > is absent in sol10). What are the easiest steps to take when I want to
    > compile some simple software packages?

    Funny you should ask; look for an article from me on this very subject
    in the not too distant future (it'll be on SUn Developer Network, and
    will be linked from my web site).

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  6. Re: compiling

    quoting Rich Teer (Sat, 23 Sep 2006 18:10:10 GMT):
    > You need to add /usr/ccs/bin to your PATH; that's where make and some
    > other tools live on Solaris.

    I found the gnu make (gmake) and other utils to be in /usr/sfw/bin

    > Sun Studio is not required, but very strongly recommended.

    I'll install it tomorrow. It takes forever to unpack though. Have no idea
    why. (athlon 3400+ / 1Gb mem) should unpack this 350MB much faster.

    Any suggestions on how to go about this package? Is this slowlyness in
    unpacking normal?

    >> What are the easiest steps to take when I want to compile some simple
    >> software packages?

    > Funny you should ask; look for an article from me on this very subject
    > in the not too distant future (it'll be on SUn Developer Network, and
    > will be linked from my web site).

    OK, we'll do. Have you got a article name already?
    The CWS packages are cool. The extra dependencies are bloated. Simple
    packages are just easy enough to add yourself. Things are just a little
    bit more complicated than compiling on linux or using the ports (on my
    FreeBSD server).

    ps: this Sun Studio package overwrites the installed tools from solaris 10
    installation? Or do they come extra?

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  7. Re: compiling

    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > ps: this Sun Studio package overwrites the installed tools from solaris 10
    > installation? Or do they come extra?

    No. It just adds stuff in /opt/SUNWspro. Neither the gnu packages in
    /usr/sfw nor the utilities such as make in /usr/ccs/bin are changed.

    This may be useful..
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features..._commands.html

    The result is you can set exactly the build environment you want by first
    modifying PATH to ensure only the utilities you want to use are visible. Of
    course, there are a great number of badly written Configure scripts out
    there that will do the wrong thing no matter how you modify PATH :-(

    --
    Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

  8. Re: compiling

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > I found the gnu make (gmake) and other utils to be in /usr/sfw/bin

    Yes, that's where *they* live. I avoid the use of GNU tools unless
    I have no option--the exception being gcc, which I use to ensure that
    my code doesn't depend on cokpiler features to work.

    > I'll install it tomorrow. It takes forever to unpack though. Have no idea
    > why. (athlon 3400+ / 1Gb mem) should unpack this 350MB much faster.

    How fast is your disk?

    > Any suggestions on how to go about this package? Is this slowlyness in
    > unpacking normal?

    If it was compressed using bzip2, yes (unfortunately).

    > OK, we'll do. Have you got a article name already?

    It's called "Building Software on the Solaris OS".

    > ps: this Sun Studio package overwrites the installed tools from solaris 10
    > installation? Or do they come extra?

    They're extra, installed into /opt/SUNWspro by default.

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  9. Re: compiling

    Dick Hoogendijk writes:

    > I fetched the mc (midnight commander) source and did a ./configure
    > That worked (gcc was found after adding it to my PATH.
    > Then I wanted to do a 'make' b but htis does not work.

    Could you post your PATH?

    -- Julio

  10. Re: compiling

    quoting Rich Teer (Sat, 23 Sep 2006 22:58:51 GMT):
    > How fast is your disk?

    A simple UDMA100 Seagate IDE disk (250GB)

    >> OK, we'll do. Have you got a article name already?

    > It's called "Building Software on the Solaris OS".

    Looking forward to it.

    I installed midnight commander and slrn from source with the utilities
    in /usr/ccs/bin. Works like a charm. After ./configure and make I saw in
    the source directory some files pointing to a package "GNUslrn" i.e.

    Is it possible to make packages after 'making'? That way you get control
    over them with pkginfo, pkgrm etc. Would be nicer than keeping the
    source around to be able to do a 'make uninstall' Furthermore, the more
    the system knows about its software the better, right?

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  11. Re: compiling

    quoting Julio Uehara (Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:12:18 +0900):
    > Dick Hoogendijk writes:
    >
    >> I fetched the mc (midnight commander) source and did a ./configure
    >> That worked (gcc was found after adding it to my PATH. Then I wanted
    >> to do a 'make' b but htis does not work.
    >>

    > Could you post your PATH?

    Already solved. See the thread..

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  12. Re: compiling

    On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > Is it possible to make packages after 'making'? That way you get control
    > over them with pkginfo, pkgrm etc. Would be nicer than keeping the
    > source around to be able to do a 'make uninstall' Furthermore, the more
    > the system knows about its software the better, right?

    Yep. Making packages is simple once you get the hang of it. See the
    pkgmk and friends man pages.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  13. Re: compiling

    Rich Teer wrote:

    [snip]

    > It's called "Building Software on the Solaris OS".

    I am a newbie to Solaris. Have used gcc and have also compared Intel's ICC
    against gcc as well, just for expirementation purposes. IMHO the
    commercially manufactured compiler seems to produce better results than
    gcc. So I am interested in Sun Studio and it will be an upcoming major area
    of interest for me to study real soon now.

    While I do have an awful lot to learn about Solaris, one of my keen
    interests is to learn to compile stuff myself as I do with FreeBSD. I just
    wanted to say "Thanks!" in advance and will definitely be looking forward
    to reading this article.

    -Jason

    [snip]

  14. Re: compiling

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, Jason Bourne wrote:

    > While I do have an awful lot to learn about Solaris, one of my keen
    > interests is to learn to compile stuff myself as I do with FreeBSD. I just
    > wanted to say "Thanks!" in advance and will definitely be looking forward
    > to reading this article.

    You're welcome!

    My article has now been approved for publication, so I don't think
    you'll have long to wait. I'll blog about it and post here when it
    is posted.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  15. Re: compiling

    quoting Rich Teer (Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:27:21 GMT):
    > My article has now been approved for publication, so I don't think
    > you'll have long to wait. I'll blog about it and post here when it
    > is posted.

    Great news! I'll be watching your blog dayly

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

+ Reply to Thread