Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen - Solaris

This is a discussion on Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen - Solaris ; I have a workstation with three usernames: root, rhan****, progrman. All three have been able to login using the Java Desktop. I installed the patches suggested by the Update Manager, and ow when I attempt to login as anything but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen

  1. Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen

    I have a workstation with three usernames: root, rhan****, progrman.
    All three have been able to login using the Java Desktop. I installed
    the patches suggested by the Update Manager, and ow when I attempt to
    login as anything but root, the login process starts, and then I am
    bouncesd back to the login screen.

    I can login with bothof the non-root ids if I select CDE. Any
    suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?


  2. Re: Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen

    milan_sanremo wrote:
    > I have a workstation with three usernames: root, rhan****, progrman.
    > All three have been able to login using the Java Desktop. I installed
    > the patches suggested by the Update Manager, and ow when I attempt to
    > login as anything but root, the login process starts, and then I am
    > bouncesd back to the login screen.
    >
    > I can login with bothof the non-root ids if I select CDE. Any
    > suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?


    Try deleting deleting the user settings for the non-root users that
    the javadesptop stuff uses.

  3. Re: Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen


    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > milan_sanremo wrote:
    > > I have a workstation with three usernames: root, rhan****, progrman.
    > > All three have been able to login using the Java Desktop. I installed
    > > the patches suggested by the Update Manager, and ow when I attempt to
    > > login as anything but root, the login process starts, and then I am
    > > bouncesd back to the login screen.
    > >
    > > I can login with bothof the non-root ids if I select CDE. Any
    > > suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

    >
    > Try deleting deleting the user settings for the non-root users that
    > the javadesptop stuff uses.


    Where are these files stored?


  4. Re: Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "milan_sanremo"
    Newsgroups: alt.solaris.x86
    Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 11:15 PM
    Subject: Re: Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen
    >
    > Where are these files stored?
    >


    usually on a hard drive



  5. Re: Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen

    quoting milan_sanremo (21 Sep 2006 20:42:54 -0700):
    > I have a workstation with three usernames: root, rhan****, progrman.
    > All three have been able to login using the Java Desktop. I installed
    > the patches suggested by the Update Manager, and ow when I attempt to
    > login as anything but root, the login process starts, and then I am
    > bouncesd back to the login screen.
    >
    > I can login with bothof the non-root ids if I select CDE. Any
    > suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?



    (1) logout of the java desktop system
    (2) click on session and choose Failsafe terminal
    (3) log in
    (4) in the failsafe terminal window, enter the following commands:

    gnome-cleanup
    exit

    (5) log in again. Your Gnome preferences are now reset.

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  6. Re: Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen


    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > (1) logout of the java desktop system
    > (2) click on session and choose Failsafe terminal
    > (3) log in
    > (4) in the failsafe terminal window, enter the following commands:
    >
    > gnome-cleanup
    > exit
    >
    > (5) log in again. Your Gnome preferences are now reset.
    >
    > --
    > dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    > ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++


    It sounded very promising. I performed the steps you suggested, and it
    said "You have Gnome files." Any other ideas?


  7. Re: Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen


    milan_sanremo wrote:
    > Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >
    > > (1) logout of the java desktop system
    > > (2) click on session and choose Failsafe terminal
    > > (3) log in
    > > (4) in the failsafe terminal window, enter the following commands:
    > >
    > > gnome-cleanup
    > > exit
    > >
    > > (5) log in again. Your Gnome preferences are now reset.
    > >
    > > --
    > > dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    > > ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

    >
    > It sounded very promising. I performed the steps you suggested, and it
    > said "You have Gnome files." Any other ideas?


    Correction "You have no Gnome files"


  8. Re: Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen

    quoting milan_sanremo (22 Sep 2006 15:50:41 -0700):
    >
    > milan_sanremo wrote:
    >> Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >>
    >> > (1) logout of the java desktop system
    >> > (2) click on session and choose Failsafe terminal
    >> > (3) log in
    >> > (4) in the failsafe terminal window, enter the following commands:
    >> >
    >> > gnome-cleanup
    >> > exit
    >> >
    >> > (5) log in again. Your Gnome preferences are now reset.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    >> > ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

    >>
    >> It sounded very promising. I performed the steps you suggested, and it
    >> said "You have Gnome files." Any other ideas?

    >
    > Correction "You have no Gnome files"


    You stated before that you users were able to access the java desktop.
    This is based on GNOME, so you *should* have gnome files, wouldn't you?

    If not I see a contradictio interminus ;-)

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  9. Re: Java Desktop - Solaris 10 - Login Screen


    >
    > You stated before that you users were able to access the java desktop.
    > This is based on GNOME, so you *should* have gnome files, wouldn't you?
    >
    > If not I see a contradictio interminus ;-)
    >
    > --
    > dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    > ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 +


    I agree that there should have had been gnome files, however, the
    command reports that I have none and there are no gnome files in the
    home directories of either of the two non-root usernames. I've
    created a new id and it to exhbits the same behavior as the other two:
    it is bounced back to the Java Deskto login screen.

    Your "contradictio interminus ;-)" was the reason I posted to this
    forum hoping to receive a suggestion of where to look next.


+ Reply to Thread