Installing Solaris 10 x86 in addition to Linux and Windows with GRUB - Solaris

This is a discussion on Installing Solaris 10 x86 in addition to Linux and Windows with GRUB - Solaris ; Hi, I have a notebook, where I have Linux and Windows XP installed. The boot manager is GRUB, located in the MBR of /dev/hda, this is the only hard drive in the notebook. I want to install Solaris 10 x86. ...

  1. Installing Solaris 10 x86 in addition to Linux and Windows with GRUB

    Hi,

    I have a notebook, where I have Linux and Windows XP installed. The boot
    manager is GRUB, located in the MBR of /dev/hda, this is the only hard
    drive in the notebook.

    I want to install Solaris 10 x86. As far as I know under Windows and
    Linux partitions are recognized based on what is written in the MBR and
    - if extended partition exists - in the beginning of extended partition.

    How Solaris recognizes partitions ? I am afraid that during installation
    I will break the partition table in the MBR. I especially cannot afford
    to lose the Windows Xp installation, because I have lost the license
    booklet and CD, so I'd rather not reinstall Windows.

    The ideal case for me would be that SOlaris just gets some type of
    partition in the DOS partition table and just installs onto it. Can I
    expect something like that ?

    There is something called BSD disklabel, as oposed to DOS partition
    table. Does Solaris use BSD disklabel and is it imcompatible with DOS
    partition table and GRUB ?

    Thanks in advance for replies.

    Regards,

    Piotr Hosowicz

    --
    No signature found.

  2. Re: Installing Solaris 10 x86 in addition to Linux and Windows with GRUB

    > I want to install Solaris 10 x86. As far as I know under Windows and
    > Linux partitions are recognized based on what is written in the MBR
    > and - if extended partition exists - in the beginning of extended
    > partition.

    Not the MBR but your partition table, there is a big difference between
    these two. The partition table lists the four primary partitions where
    one of these 4 can be marked 'extended', which only means so much that
    it can hold several 'extra' partitions apart from the 4 primary ones.

    > How Solaris recognizes partitions ? I am afraid that during installation

    Just like any other Intel based OS. As can be read in the installation
    manual (see, for example, http://docs.sun.com) you'll need one primary
    partition for Solaris.

    > The ideal case for me would be that SOlaris just gets some type of
    > partition in the DOS partition table and just installs onto it. Can I
    > expect something like that ?

    I think you have your facts mixed up, whats a "DOS partition table"
    suppose to be? You have 1 partition table which can list several
    partitions. Then the partitions themselves can be of different types
    (like your linux & swap partition type for example).

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

+ Reply to Thread