Solaris 10 x86 install hangs - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 x86 install hangs - Solaris ; Hi, I want to install Solaris 10 x86 6/06 on a IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Z61m. I can boot from the DVD/CD with the Solaris OS, but the installation hangs immediately after the boot process. I can see the "SunOS Release 5.10 ...

  1. Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    Hi,

    I want to install Solaris 10 x86 6/06 on a IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Z61m.
    I can boot from the DVD/CD with the Solaris OS, but the installation
    hangs immediately
    after the boot process.
    I can see the "SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_118855-14 32-bit
    [...]",
    but then the installation hangs.
    I tried also the Solaris install check tool and run into the same
    trouble...

    Thanks for any help

    Julian

  2. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    "Julian Thomas" writes:

    > I want to install Solaris 10 x86 6/06 on a IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Z61m.
    > I can boot from the DVD/CD with the Solaris OS, but the installation
    > hangs immediately
    > after the boot process.
    > I can see the "SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_118855-14 32-bit
    > [...]",
    > but then the installation hangs.

    Boot the kernel with the "-v" option, so that we get a bit more
    details when it hangs.

    In the GRUB boot menu, press "e" twice, append " -v" after the "-B
    install_menu=cdrom" option, followed by ESC and "b" to start the boot.

    Now the question is: what are the last few messages printed to the
    console before it hangs?

    See also

  3. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    thank you for your answer.
    At the moment i don't know how to 'save' the output and post it here,
    but the last few line are:

    SMBIOS v2.4 loaded [...]
    PCI-Express-device: pci8086,27a1@1, pcie_pci0
    pcie_pci0 is /pci@0,0/pci8086,27a1@1
    [...]
    cpu0: x86 (chipid 0x0 GenuineIntel family 6 model 14 step 8 clock 2000
    MHz)
    cpu0: GenuineIntel 6.14.8 <==== THIS IS THE LAST LINE

    .... and the laptop hangs

    (The processor is an Intel T2500 Core Duo)

    Any hope for an installation of Solaris?

    Julian

  4. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    "Julian Thomas" wrote in
    news:1158871853.551517.128100@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com:

    > thank you for your answer.
    > At the moment i don't know how to 'save' the output and post it here,
    > but the last few line are:
    >
    > SMBIOS v2.4 loaded [...]
    > PCI-Express-device: pci8086,27a1@1, pcie_pci0
    > pcie_pci0 is /pci@0,0/pci8086,27a1@1
    > [...]
    > cpu0: x86 (chipid 0x0 GenuineIntel family 6 model 14 step 8 clock 2000
    > MHz)
    > cpu0: GenuineIntel 6.14.8 <==== THIS IS THE LAST LINE
    >
    > ... and the laptop hangs
    >
    > (The processor is an Intel T2500 Core Duo)
    >

    > Any hope for an installation of Solaris?
    >
    > Julian

    Try disabling the second core in the BIOS. Install as a single core. If
    Solaris 10 installs, get all available patches, then enable the second
    core. Had trouble installing on a dual duo-core zeon system until I
    disabled the second core (ended up with two single core zeon's). Patched
    the system and then enabled the duo-core in the BIOS and Solaris 10 ran
    perfectly.

  5. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    "Julian Thomas" writes:

    > At the moment i don't know how to 'save' the output and post it here,
    > but the last few line are:

    The following lines are enough for now.

    > SMBIOS v2.4 loaded [...]
    > PCI-Express-device: pci8086,27a1@1, pcie_pci0
    > pcie_pci0 is /pci@0,0/pci8086,27a1@1
    > [...]
    > cpu0: x86 (chipid 0x0 GenuineIntel family 6 model 14 step 8 clock 2000
    > MHz)
    > cpu0: GenuineIntel 6.14.8 <==== THIS IS THE LAST LINE
    >
    > ... and the laptop hangs
    >
    > (The processor is an Intel T2500 Core Duo)

    Hmm, that looks a bit like bug 6446729, a problem with starting the
    second core on a dual core machine when there is a big delta in the
    TSC counter values of the two cpu cores:

    See also this thread:

    A possible workaround:

    - edit the grub boot command line and add options "-kv",
    boot the kernel using the changed command (this enables the
    kernel debugger and verbose kernel output)

    - When the boot process hangs, after printing:

    cpu0: x86 (chipid 0x0 GenuineIntel family 6 model 14 step 8 clock 2000 MHz)
    cpu0: Intel(r) CPU T2500 @ 2.00GHz

    Type "F1 + a" (press and hold down F1 key, then press the 'a' key).
    This enters the kernel debugger.

    - In kmdb, type the command ":c" to resume the kernel.

    (and for me the box resumed the boot with both cpu cores online and
    usable)

  6. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    thanks for the replies.

    First, I tried the workaround with the F1+'a' key, but i can't see
    these lines:

    cpu0: x86 (chipid 0x0 GenuineIntel family 6 model 14 step 8 clock 2000
    MHz)
    cpu0: Intel(r) CPU T2500 @ 2.00GHz

    It seems that tt doesn't recognize a T2500 cpu, just an Intel cpu.
    I can't entering the kernel debugger by pressing the F1+'a' key.
    Nothing happens if i try to press the keys.

    Next, i disabled the Dual core function in the bios setup and yes,
    it loaded the installation routine.
    I'm able to run the Solaris installation check tool from cd, but the
    result
    is not a good precondition to install the solaris successfully.

    Solaris doesn't provide a driver for the disk controller in the Z61m

    "No hard disk found. Ensure hard disk is properly connected to a
    storage controller that has a Solaris driver"

    I think this is the controller:
    Intel 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA controller.

  7. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    Julian Thomas wrote:
    > thanks for the replies.
    >
    > First, I tried the workaround with the F1+'a' key, but i can't see
    > these lines:
    >
    > cpu0: x86 (chipid 0x0 GenuineIntel family 6 model 14 step 8 clock 2000
    > MHz)
    > cpu0: Intel(r) CPU T2500 @ 2.00GHz
    >
    > It seems that tt doesn't recognize a T2500 cpu, just an Intel cpu.
    > I can't entering the kernel debugger by pressing the F1+'a' key.
    > Nothing happens if i try to press the keys.
    >
    > Next, i disabled the Dual core function in the bios setup and yes,
    > it loaded the installation routine.
    > I'm able to run the Solaris installation check tool from cd, but the
    > result
    > is not a good precondition to install the solaris successfully.
    >
    > Solaris doesn't provide a driver for the disk controller in the Z61m
    >
    > "No hard disk found. Ensure hard disk is properly connected to a
    > storage controller that has a Solaris driver"
    >
    > I think this is the controller:
    > Intel 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA controller.

    I'm not sure about this device, but it might be worth trying the latest
    OpensSolaris community release form opensolaris.org.

    These tend to be a better option for laptops.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  8. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    "Julian Thomas" writes:

    > Solaris doesn't provide a driver for the disk controller in the Z61m
    >
    > "No hard disk found. Ensure hard disk is properly connected to a
    > storage controller that has a Solaris driver"
    >
    > I think this is the controller:
    > Intel 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA controller.

    The BIOS probably configures the ICH7 S-ATA disk controller for AHCI
    mode. Is there a BIOS setup option to enable "legacy" or
    "compatibility" mode for the ICH7 S-ATA controller? If yet, enabled
    such an option and retry the Solaris x86 installation again.

  9. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    Juergen Keil schrieb:

    > "Julian Thomas" writes:
    >
    > > Solaris doesn't provide a driver for the disk controller in the Z61m
    > >
    > > "No hard disk found. Ensure hard disk is properly connected to a
    > > storage controller that has a Solaris driver"
    > >
    > > I think this is the controller:
    > > Intel 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA controller.

    > The BIOS probably configures the ICH7 S-ATA disk controller for AHCI
    > mode. Is there a BIOS setup option to enable "legacy" or
    > "compatibility" mode for the ICH7 S-ATA controller? If yet, enabled
    > such an option and retry the Solaris x86 installation again.

    Yes, it was enabled... After switching the mode the installation check
    tool run successfully.
    I will try to install the os in the next days...

    Julian

  10. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    the installation was successfully. Thank you all for help.
    With one core and the SATA compatibility mode solaris run very well.

    Is there an update/patch to get the "second" core work with solaris?
    I just patched the system to 118855-19, which is the latest kernel
    patch i think.
    If i enable the second core in the bios setup, the os can't boot.

    Julian

  11. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    "Julian Thomas" writes:

    > the installation was successfully. Thank you all for help.
    > With one core and the SATA compatibility mode solaris run very well.
    >
    > Is there an update/patch to get the "second" core work with solaris?
    > I just patched the system to 118855-19, which is the latest kernel
    > patch i think.
    > If i enable the second core in the bios setup, the os can't boot.

    Assuming this is bug 6446729, there is another possible workaround:
    setting the kernel variable tsc_gethrtime_enable to 0.

    You could try booting with the second core enable in the bios. Boot
    with kmdb enabled, by adding flags "-kdv" to the GRUB boot command
    line, and in kmdb use

    tsc_gethrtime_enable/W0
    :c

    If that boots OK with both cores online, add the following line to
    /etc/system and the next you it should boot ok without having to use
    the kmdb:

    set tsc_gethrtime_enable = 0

  12. Re: Solaris 10 x86 install hangs

    thank you very much for this hint.