Solaris 06/06 keyboard & nic not recognized - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 06/06 keyboard & nic not recognized - Solaris ; Hi, I want to install my new notebook Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8110: - Intel Centrino Duo - Intel 945GM - Marvell Yukon NIC 88E8055 onboard 1.) I try Solaris DVD 06/06 (sol10u2). Grub coming up, I select "Solaris", kernel is ...

  1. Solaris 06/06 keyboard & nic not recognized

    Hi,

    I want to install my new notebook Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8110:
    - Intel Centrino Duo
    - Intel 945GM
    - Marvell Yukon NIC 88E8055 onboard

    1.) I try Solaris DVD 06/06 (sol10u2). Grub coming up, I select
    "Solaris", kernel is loading and I've been asked for installation
    method. But my keyboard isn't no more recognized. I can't enter
    anything... (Press F1 to continue.. :-))

    2.) Booting with Grub "Solaris and ttya". From another notebook I give
    a tip and got the booting messages and can choose the installation
    method.
    But now, it hangs on "Using RPC Bootparams ...".
    Disabling the nic in the BIOS doesn't help.

    I know there is a driver for this nic at Marvell. But how can I
    install it at installation time? There is a point for "Apply driver
    update". I googeld that fd and cd must have ITU format. For some other
    special nics there are an "ITU"-disks. What's this?

    3.) I try Solaris DVD 01/06 (sol10u1):
    - kdm is recognized
    - the installation continues after short stop at "Using RPC Bootparams
    ...."

    So what is the different between this 2 releases?
    How can I upgrade to sol10u2 when I can't start installation from this
    DVD?
    Waiting for sol10u3?

    Some questions, some answers?

    Greatings from Germany
    Ulli

  2. Re: Solaris 06/06 keyboard & nic not recognized

    Użytkownik Ulrich Weise napisał:
    > Hi,

    > "Solaris", kernel is loading and I've been asked for installation
    > method. But my keyboard isn't no more recognized.

    You could try to connect standard PC USB keyboard , if You have one.

    Andrzej

  3. Re: Solaris 06/06 keyboard & nic not recognized

    Hi Ulrich,

    did you manage to solve this problem? I'm trying also Sol10 on the same
    note, with the same results....

    Did the USB keyboard helped? I'll try that one also.

    If you were able to install Sol10 on E8110, did you managed to set up
    everything (nic, wifi, sound, so on)

    Many thx in advance!

    Zoltan

    Ulrich Weise schreef:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to install my new notebook Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8110:
    > - Intel Centrino Duo
    > - Intel 945GM
    > - Marvell Yukon NIC 88E8055 onboard
    >
    > 1.) I try Solaris DVD 06/06 (sol10u2). Grub coming up, I select
    > "Solaris", kernel is loading and I've been asked for installation
    > method. But my keyboard isn't no more recognized. I can't enter
    > anything... (Press F1 to continue.. :-))
    >
    > 2.) Booting with Grub "Solaris and ttya". From another notebook I give
    > a tip and got the booting messages and can choose the installation
    > method.
    > But now, it hangs on "Using RPC Bootparams ...".
    > Disabling the nic in the BIOS doesn't help.
    >
    > I know there is a driver for this nic at Marvell. But how can I
    > install it at installation time? There is a point for "Apply driver
    > update". I googeld that fd and cd must have ITU format. For some other
    > special nics there are an "ITU"-disks. What's this?
    >
    > 3.) I try Solaris DVD 01/06 (sol10u1):
    > - kdm is recognized
    > - the installation continues after short stop at "Using RPC Bootparams
    > ..."
    >
    > So what is the different between this 2 releases?
    > How can I upgrade to sol10u2 when I can't start installation from this
    > DVD?
    > Waiting for sol10u3?
    >
    > Some questions, some answers?
    >
    > Greatings from Germany
    > Ulli

  4. Re: Solaris 06/06 keyboard & nic not recognized

    Am 5 Oct 2006 12:09:18 -0700 schrieb Aan de slag met Google
    Discussiegroepen zum
    Thema: Re: Solaris 06/06 keyboard & nic not recognized

    >Hi Ulrich,
    >
    >did you manage to solve this problem? I'm trying also Sol10 on the same
    >note, with the same results....
    >
    >Did the USB keyboard helped? I'll try that one also.
    >
    >If you were able to install Sol10 on E8110, did you managed to set up
    >everything (nic, wifi, sound, so on)

    Hi,

    nice to have you with me. ;-)

    So here are the facts:
    - Curiously Sol10 x86 06/06 didn't work on FSC E8110, but with 01/06
    the installation was possible without problems.
    - If you will use the internal SATA disk, you have to disable the
    "AHCI" support of the SATA-Controller in the BIOS, to be recognized by
    Solaris. Be careful if there are other Systems on the internal SATA
    disk, as other systems will need this setting. (I use a second drive
    in the DVD drive slot which is an IDE-Port and use an external USB CD
    drive for installation)
    - For the onboard nic 88E8055 there is no support from Marvell at this
    time. The Solaris driver on there homepage didn't know the 80E8055 and
    if you modify devices_db to recognize the nic, there is a software
    error with this driver.
    I started a call to Marvell for supporting this nic. I'm waiting for
    an answer.

    Sound, wifi and so on has no priority to me, but sound did not work
    and wifi I had not tested. As this are chipset components I think,
    there will be drivers coming up in the near future. Also there are
    discussions to bring them to work or they are supported with 06/06.
    But otherwise Sol10 06/06 did not run on E8110 (as I told you above).

    Xsun supported the kmd so there is no problem.

    Greetings from Germany
    Ulli

  5. Re: Solaris 06/06 keyboard & nic not recognized

    Hi Ulrich,

    I've tried to connect a USB keyboard (and Ps2 also) without any luck.
    I've could not find 0106 so I've installed 0305 which is rather old,
    but installed without any major problem. I've put it on the SATA disc,
    since ahci is disabled by default on my note (and windows works without
    any problem).

    About the nic: I've tried to use the ndis "project" from opensolaris,
    which theoratically makes possible to compile a driver for sol based on
    the windows driver. I could build the driver, even load the kernel
    module, but when I try to add the driver to the device, the whole
    kernel crashes, and the note reboots......

    Also theoreitcally there is a driver for the wifi, also on opensolaris,
    but it does not work for this note....

    Any luck with Marvell?

    Good luck&Thx!
    Zoltan

    Aan de slag met Google Discussiegroepen schreef:

    > Hi Ulrich,
    >
    > did you manage to solve this problem? I'm trying also Sol10 on the same
    > note, with the same results....
    >
    > Did the USB keyboard helped? I'll try that one also.
    >
    > If you were able to install Sol10 on E8110, did you managed to set up
    > everything (nic, wifi, sound, so on)
    >
    > Many thx in advance!
    >
    > Zoltan
    >
    > Ulrich Weise schreef:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I want to install my new notebook Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8110:
    > > - Intel Centrino Duo
    > > - Intel 945GM
    > > - Marvell Yukon NIC 88E8055 onboard
    > >
    > > 1.) I try Solaris DVD 06/06 (sol10u2). Grub coming up, I select
    > > "Solaris", kernel is loading and I've been asked for installation
    > > method. But my keyboard isn't no more recognized. I can't enter
    > > anything... (Press F1 to continue.. :-))
    > >
    > > 2.) Booting with Grub "Solaris and ttya". From another notebook I give
    > > a tip and got the booting messages and can choose the installation
    > > method.
    > > But now, it hangs on "Using RPC Bootparams ...".
    > > Disabling the nic in the BIOS doesn't help.
    > >
    > > I know there is a driver for this nic at Marvell. But how can I
    > > install it at installation time? There is a point for "Apply driver
    > > update". I googeld that fd and cd must have ITU format. For some other
    > > special nics there are an "ITU"-disks. What's this?
    > >
    > > 3.) I try Solaris DVD 01/06 (sol10u1):
    > > - kdm is recognized
    > > - the installation continues after short stop at "Using RPC Bootparams
    > > ..."
    > >
    > > So what is the different between this 2 releases?
    > > How can I upgrade to sol10u2 when I can't start installation from this
    > > DVD?
    > > Waiting for sol10u3?
    > >
    > > Some questions, some answers?
    > >
    > > Greatings from Germany