Nvidia Geforce2 MX100/200 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Nvidia Geforce2 MX100/200 - Solaris ; I haven't had any luck finding info on how to setup solaris 8 with a GF2/MX. Has anyone had any luck ? i'm not fussed about 3d stuff, i just want a displayable desktop at around 1024*768. any advice on ...

  1. Nvidia Geforce2 MX100/200

    I haven't had any luck finding info on how to setup solaris 8 with a GF2/MX.
    Has anyone had any luck ?

    i'm not fussed about 3d stuff, i just want a displayable desktop at around
    1024*768. any advice on how i can proceed ?
    I'm still tryin to setup in the install phase

  2. Re: Nvidia Geforce2 MX100/200

    Użytkownik Andy napisał:
    > I haven't had any luck finding info on how to setup solaris 8 with a GF2/MX.
    > Has anyone had any luck ?

    Yes I still have such a system. But it was more than 5 years ago when I
    set it up. As far as I remember I have downloaded the GF driver from Sun
    website to the extra floppy and then added this driver during install .
    You could try to check Sun site for updated DCA floppy for Solaris 8.

    > i'm not fussed about 3d stuff, i just want a displayable desktop at around
    > 1024*768. any advice on how i can proceed ?
    > I'm still tryin to setup in the install phase

    You could try to use generic VESA driver or VGA (640x480 only). You can
    always change the driver after installation using kdm.

    HTH

    Andrzej

  3. Re: Nvidia Geforce2 MX100/200

    Użytkownik Andy napisał:
    > I haven't had any luck finding info on how to setup solaris 8 with a GF2/MX.
    > Has anyone had any luck ?
    >
    > i'm not fussed about 3d stuff, i just want a displayable desktop at around
    > 1024*768. any advice on how i can proceed ?
    > I'm still tryin to setup in the install phase

    I have just checked.
    I have Solaris 8 Generic_108529-23 (uname -a).
    My kdmconfig shows NVIDIA driver.
    I have archive file x86_drv.gz, downloaded from Sun (the name probably
    changed during download). This file contains two patches : 108653-30 and
    109401-10. These patches contain updates for almost all video drivers,
    including NVIDIA).

    So If You succeded to install Solaris(even without GUI working) and You
    can download these patches(from bigadmin or sunsolve) :

    patchadd .......
    kdmconfig
    exit

    In a few seconds it should automatically switch to GUI login(if You do
    not have one).

    Andrzej

  4. Re: Nvidia Geforce2 MX100/200

    Thanks Andrzej,

    I have the patch, but feel I may have burnt it incorrectly. I've managed to
    get my Realtek 8139 card working, so i ransferred it using the network once
    i got that up.
    It's getting further now, but still failing "the packages in
    var/spool/patch/109401-14 are not proper patch packages. see instructions
    for applying the patch in patchadd"
    There were some zip errors unzipping it, so i unzipped it on a windows
    system and threw the whole folder across and it seems a lot happier this
    way.

    now.. to get my dualboot debian working as well.. i lost its bootability

    "Andrzej Popielewicz" wrote in message
    > Użytkownik Andy napisał:
    >> I haven't had any luck finding info on how to setup solaris 8 with a
    >> GF2/MX. Has anyone had any luck ?
    >>
    >> i'm not fussed about 3d stuff, i just want a displayable desktop at
    >> around 1024*768. any advice on how i can proceed ?
    >> I'm still tryin to setup in the install phase
    >>

    > I have just checked.
    > I have Solaris 8 Generic_108529-23 (uname -a).
    > My kdmconfig shows NVIDIA driver.
    > I have archive file x86_drv.gz, downloaded from Sun (the name probably
    > changed during download). This file contains two patches : 108653-30 and
    > 109401-10. These patches contain updates for almost all video drivers,
    > including NVIDIA).
    >

    > So If You succeded to install Solaris(even without GUI working) and You
    > can download these patches(from bigadmin or sunsolve) :
    >
    > patchadd .......
    > kdmconfig
    > exit
    >
    > In a few seconds it should automatically switch to GUI login(if You do not
    > have one).
    >

    > Andrzej

  5. Re: Nvidia Geforce2 MX100/200

    now my issue seems to be getting the monitor to work properly...
    is there something like the XF 86 logs I can check out ?

    "Andrzej Popielewicz" wrote in message
    > Użytkownik Andy napisał:
    >> I haven't had any luck finding info on how to setup solaris 8 with a
    >> GF2/MX. Has anyone had any luck ?
    >>
    >> i'm not fussed about 3d stuff, i just want a displayable desktop at
    >> around 1024*768. any advice on how i can proceed ?
    >> I'm still tryin to setup in the install phase
    >>

    > I have just checked.
    > I have Solaris 8 Generic_108529-23 (uname -a).
    > My kdmconfig shows NVIDIA driver.
    > I have archive file x86_drv.gz, downloaded from Sun (the name probably
    > changed during download). This file contains two patches : 108653-30 and
    > 109401-10. These patches contain updates for almost all video drivers,
    > including NVIDIA).
    >

    > So If You succeded to install Solaris(even without GUI working) and You
    > can download these patches(from bigadmin or sunsolve) :
    >
    > patchadd .......
    > kdmconfig
    > exit
    >
    > In a few seconds it should automatically switch to GUI login(if You do not
    > have one).
    >

    > Andrzej

  6. Re: Nvidia Geforce2 MX100/200

    Andy napisał(a):
    > Thanks Andrzej,
    > >

    > There were some zip errors unzipping it, so i unzipped it on a windows
    > system and threw the whole folder across and it seems a lot happier this
    > way.

    There should be NO zip errors. In shell say : "unzip mypatch.zip" and
    You should obtain directories with numbers as names in Your current
    directory.Then "patchadd -d ." .Then reboot and then run kdmconfig in
    console text mode session).

    > now.. to get my dualboot debian working as well.. i lost its bootability

    Tell us the full story. How do You observe this loss ?

    Well , You did not tell us You want dualboot. I hope You have created
    partition for Solaris under Debian. If not there is no warranty.
    Anyway try to boot into Debian from bootable floppy( have You one ? it
    is a must) or boot from 1 install CD of Debian and choose rescue option.
    Then being in shell try to run grub-install or lilo, depending on
    prevoius choice.
    If You want , that Solaris be bootable from Linux loader after this step
    configure grub or lilo configuration files.
    Solaris 8 is able to boot (from ist blue boot loader) Linux using lilo
    (but not grub).
    Notice , that Solaris 8 installer thinks Linux swap is a Solaris
    partition. So You have to make tricks with /etc/fstab under Debian.
    It means make a copy of /etc/fstab. Then remove line with swap. Then
    using fdisk toggle the type of Linux swap partition to 9 (for example)
    and then create new Linux swap partition (for Solaris) and then install
    Solaris(now too late, And then under Linux change fstab and retoggle old
    swap partition).

    We have to know Your installation Linux/Solaris story in order to help
    now.Perhaps You do not have to reinstall .
    Tell us how You created partition for Solaris ? Under Linux or under
    Solaris? Details please.

    I would suggest You read something about multiboot. There were many
    threads in this group.

+ Reply to Thread