Solaris 10 on Intel - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 on Intel - Solaris ; Hi, I am trying to Install solaris 10 x86 on to an HP Pavilion which has an Intel centrino Duo chip. after booting from the dvd it shows on the screen as Loading stage 2 and then it just hangs ...

  1. Solaris 10 on Intel

    Hi,

    I am trying to Install solaris 10 x86 on to an HP Pavilion which has an
    Intel centrino Duo chip.

    after booting from the dvd it shows on the screen as Loading stage 2
    and then it just hangs .
    it reaches the following screen:

    SunOS release 5.10 Version Generic
    copyright xxxxxxx
    Use is subject to license terms

    and then the cursor keeps blinking and none of the keys like caps lock
    and scroll lock respond.

    So i am asuming it is hung at this place.

    The comp is an HP Pavilion dv5000 with 1gb ram and intel Centrino duo.

  2. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    amitka@gmail.com writes:

    > after booting from the dvd it shows on the screen as Loading stage 2
    > and then it just hangs .

    But the GRUB boot loader is usable?

    > it reaches the following screen:
    >
    > SunOS release 5.10 Version Generic
    > copyright xxxxxxx
    > Use is subject to license terms

    That's after the GRUB boot loader...

    > and then the cursor keeps blinking and none of the keys like caps lock
    > and scroll lock respond.

    Edit the boot commands in the grub boot menu and add
    a "-v" option to kernel. This adds verbose boot messages
    during boot. What is printed to the screen, before it hangs?

    Maybe this is yet another box that hangs in the BIOS "RESET
    DISK" call? See this thread:

  3. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    quoting GreyCloud (Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:00:01 -0600):

    > It's your nic that it is trying to identify. Most likely that your nic
    > is not recognized.

    If it doesn't recognize my nic, does that mean "no internet" or is it
    possible to manualy install such a nic later? (I assume not..)

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ The Power to Serve

  4. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > quoting GreyCloud (Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:00:01 -0600):
    >

    >>It's your nic that it is trying to identify. Most likely that your nic
    >>is not recognized.

    > If it doesn't recognize my nic, does that mean "no internet" or is it
    > possible to manualy install such a nic later? (I assume not..)

    It's quite easy to install the NIC later, you just have to identify
    which one it is and go and get the driver.

    For example, my Dell laptop uses a Broadcom 440x, I found the the driver
    for it by using the HCL at . (It
    happens to be at )

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  5. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >
    > > quoting GreyCloud (Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:00:01 -0600):
    > >

    > >>It's your nic that it is trying to identify. Most likely that your nic
    > >>is not recognized.

    > > If it doesn't recognize my nic, does that mean "no internet" or is it
    > > possible to manualy install such a nic later? (I assume not..)
    > >

    > It's quite easy to install the NIC later, you just have to identify
    > which one it is and go and get the driver.
    >
    > For example, my Dell laptop uses a Broadcom 440x, I found the the driver
    > for it by using the HCL at . (It
    > happens to be at )
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gary B-)
    >
    > --
    > Hi,

    i downloaded the tool as suggested and ran it the tool also hangs i did
    -v and it is stuck at
    zfs0 is /pseudo/zfs@0

    now what do i do to resolve this issue ???
    any suggestions, welcome

    TIA
    amit______________________________________________ ________________________________
    > Armful of chairs: Something some people would not know
    > whether you were up them with or not
    > - Barry Humphries

  6. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    amit wrote:

    > Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >
    >>Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >>

    >>>quoting GreyCloud (Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:00:01 -0600):

    >>>If it doesn't recognize my nic, does that mean "no internet" or is it
    >>>possible to manualy install such a nic later? (I assume not..)
    >>>

    >>It's quite easy to install the NIC later, you just have to identify
    >>which one it is and go and get the driver.
    >>
    >>For example, my Dell laptop uses a Broadcom 440x, I found the the driver
    >>for it by using the HCL at . (It
    >>happens to be at )
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Gary B-)
    >>
    >>--
    >>Hi,

    > i downloaded the tool as suggested and ran it the tool also hangs i did
    > -v and it is stuck at
    > zfs0 is /pseudo/zfs@0

    Which NIC do you have? And did you get the correct driver from
    wherever? (Please don't tell me just downloaded something from the
    taiyodo site and ran it!!)

    > now what do i do to resolve this issue ???
    > any suggestions, welcome

    Which driver did you download, and from where?

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  7. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > amit wrote:
    >
    > > Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

    > >>It's quite easy to install the NIC later, you just have to identify
    > >>which one it is and go and get the driver.
    > >>
    > >>For example, my Dell laptop uses a Broadcom 440x, I found the the driver
    > >>for it by using the HCL at . (It
    > >>happens to be at )
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >> Gary B-)
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Hi,

    > > i downloaded the tool as suggested and ran it the tool also hangs i did
    > > -v and it is stuck at
    > > zfs0 is /pseudo/zfs@0

    > Which NIC do you have? And did you get the correct driver from
    > wherever? (Please don't tell me just downloaded something from the
    > taiyodo site and ran it!!)
    >
    > > now what do i do to resolve this issue ???
    > > any suggestions, welcome

    > Which driver did you download, and from where?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gary B-)
    >
    > --
    > Hi,

    As i have XP sp2 loaded on the laptop i checked that i have Intel(R)
    PRO/100 VE Network Connection. As of now i have downloaded just the
    ife-0.8.8.tar.gz
    actually now i have no clue as to how to proceed further. Gary pls
    lead the way .

    TIA
    amit______________________________________________ ____________________
    > Armful of chairs: Something some people would not know
    > whether you were up them with or not
    > - Barry Humphries

  8. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    quoting amit (6 Sep 2006 23:55:09 -0700):
    > As i have XP sp2 loaded on the laptop i checked that i have Intel(R)
    > PRO/100 VE Network Connection. As of now i have downloaded just the
    > ife-0.8.8.tar.gz
    > actually now i have no clue as to how to proceed further. Gary pls
    > lead the way .

    In the *.gz file is a README, which explains everything quite nicely.

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ The Power to Serve

  9. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > quoting amit (6 Sep 2006 23:55:09 -0700):
    > > As i have XP sp2 loaded on the laptop i checked that i have Intel(R)
    > > PRO/100 VE Network Connection. As of now i have downloaded just the
    > > ife-0.8.8.tar.gz
    > > actually now i have no clue as to how to proceed further. Gary pls
    > > lead the way .

    > In the *.gz file is a README, which explains everything quite nicely.
    >
    > --
    > dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    > ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ The Power to Serve

    Hello Dick,

    This is from the readme
    3. Seting up Operating Environment
    (1) Install your PCI card and boot Solaris.
    (2) Copy source and binary files.
    # gunzip -cd ife-x.x.x.tar.gz | tar xf -
    (3) Add hostname for the nic card into /etc/hosts file

    in case you have not understood the issue, I am UNABLE to INSTALL.

    anyways i did the following:

    inserted x86 dvd
    came to GNU GRUB prompt:

    edited the default line and put the following:
    kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -kdv -B install_media=cdrom

    and then pressed b

    then i arrived at the kmdb prompt
    here i entered , at the prompt

    [0]> moddebug/W 80000000
    [0]>:c

    then lot of scroll happened in which it said installing modules
    then
    2nd last line says
    load 'drv/ata' id 165 loaded @0xfxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx size 38700/2384
    installing ata , module id 165
    -

    then the cursor keeps blinking.

    any thoughts/ ideas

    TIA
    amit

  10. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    "amit" writes:

    > Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > > quoting amit (6 Sep 2006 23:55:09 -0700):
    > > > As i have XP sp2 loaded on the laptop i checked that i have Intel(R)
    > > > PRO/100 VE Network Connection. As of now i have downloaded just the
    > > > ife-0.8.8.tar.gz
    > > > actually now i have no clue as to how to proceed further. Gary pls
    > > > lead the way .

    > > In the *.gz file is a README, which explains everything quite nicely.
    > >
    > > --
    > > dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    > > ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ The Power to Serve

    > Hello Dick,
    >
    > This is from the readme
    > 3. Seting up Operating Environment
    > (1) Install your PCI card and boot Solaris.
    > (2) Copy source and binary files.
    > # gunzip -cd ife-x.x.x.tar.gz | tar xf -
    > (3) Add hostname for the nic card into /etc/hosts file
    >

    > in case you have not understood the issue, I am UNABLE to INSTALL.

    And I'm not sure at all that the NIC is the root cause of
    these install problems.

    > anyways i did the following:
    >
    > inserted x86 dvd
    > came to GNU GRUB prompt:
    >
    > edited the default line and put the following:
    > kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -kdv -B install_media=cdrom
    >
    > and then pressed b
    >
    > then i arrived at the kmdb prompt
    > here i entered , at the prompt
    >
    > [0]> moddebug/W 80000000
    > [0]>:c
    >
    > then lot of scroll happened in which it said installing modules
    > then
    > 2nd last line says
    > load 'drv/ata' id 165 loaded @0xfxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx size 38700/2384
    > installing ata , module id 165
    > -

    Hmm, that could be bug 6414472:

    Is it possible to get back into kmdb at this point by typing "F1+a"
    (press and hold down the "F1" key and then the "a" key)?

    This works best with a PS/2 keyboard; an USB keyboad sometimes
    cannot be used to interrupt the hung machine.

    If that re-enters kmdb, try a "$c" or "::stack" command.
    Does the stack look similar to the on in the bug report?

  11. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    Juergen Keil wrote:
    > "amit" writes:
    >
    > > Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > > > quoting amit (6 Sep 2006 23:55:09 -0700):
    > > >
    > > > In the *.gz file is a README, which explains everything quite nicely.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    > > > ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ The Power to Serve

    > > Hello Dick,
    > >
    > > This is from the readme
    > > 3. Seting up Operating Environment
    > > (1) Install your PCI card and boot Solaris.
    > > (2) Copy source and binary files.
    > > # gunzip -cd ife-x.x.x.tar.gz | tar xf -
    > > (3) Add hostname for the nic card into /etc/hosts file
    > >

    > > in case you have not understood the issue, I am UNABLE to INSTALL.

    > And I'm not sure at all that the NIC is the root cause of
    > these install problems.
    >

    > > anyways i did the following:
    > >
    > > inserted x86 dvd
    > > came to GNU GRUB prompt:
    > >
    > > edited the default line and put the following:
    > > kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -kdv -B install_media=cdrom
    > >
    > > and then pressed b
    > >
    > > then i arrived at the kmdb prompt
    > > here i entered , at the prompt
    > >
    > > [0]> moddebug/W 80000000
    > > [0]>:c
    > >
    > > then lot of scroll happened in which it said installing modules
    > > then
    > > 2nd last line says
    > > load 'drv/ata' id 165 loaded @0xfxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx size 38700/2384
    > > installing ata , module id 165
    > > -

    > Hmm, that could be bug 6414472:
    >

    > Is it possible to get back into kmdb at this point by typing "F1+a"
    > (press and hold down the "F1" key and then the "a" key)?
    >
    > This works best with a PS/2 keyboard; an USB keyboad sometimes
    > cannot be used to interrupt the hung machine.
    >
    > If that re-enters kmdb, try a "$c" or "::stack" command.
    > Does the stack look similar to the on in the bug report?

    Hi,

    i'll chk that out tomorrow and let u know.

    thanks
    amit

    i am on HP Pavilion ds5000 and a usb mouse no usb keyboard with intel
    centrino duo.

  12. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    amit wrote:
    [SNIP]
    > As i have XP sp2 loaded on the laptop i checked that i have Intel(R)
    > PRO/100 VE Network Connection. As of now i have downloaded just the
    > ife-0.8.8.tar.gz
    > actually now i have no clue as to how to proceed further. Gary pls
    > lead the way .

    The HCL says that the Intel Pro/100
    VE is either supported out of the box or with a simple addition of an alias.

    Go read it.

    The ife driver probably won't work with it, either.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  13. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    Juergen Keil wrote:
    > "amit" writes:
    >
    > > Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > > > quoting amit (6 Sep 2006 23:55:09 -0700):
    > > >
    > > > In the *.gz file is a README, which explains everything quite nicely.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    > > > ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ The Power to Serve

    > > Hello Dick,
    > >
    > > This is from the readme
    > > 3. Seting up Operating Environment
    > > (1) Install your PCI card and boot Solaris.
    > > (2) Copy source and binary files.
    > > # gunzip -cd ife-x.x.x.tar.gz | tar xf -
    > > (3) Add hostname for the nic card into /etc/hosts file
    > >

    > > in case you have not understood the issue, I am UNABLE to INSTALL.

    > And I'm not sure at all that the NIC is the root cause of
    > these install problems.
    >

    > > anyways i did the following:
    > >
    > > inserted x86 dvd
    > > came to GNU GRUB prompt:
    > >
    > > edited the default line and put the following:
    > > kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -kdv -B install_media=cdrom
    > >
    > > and then pressed b
    > >
    > > then i arrived at the kmdb prompt
    > > here i entered , at the prompt
    > >
    > > [0]> moddebug/W 80000000
    > > [0]>:c
    > >
    > > then lot of scroll happened in which it said installing modules
    > > then
    > > 2nd last line says
    > > load 'drv/ata' id 165 loaded @0xfxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx size 38700/2384
    > > installing ata , module id 165
    > > -

    > Hmm, that could be bug 6414472:
    >

    > Is it possible to get back into kmdb at this point by typing "F1+a"
    > (press and hold down the "F1" key and then the "a" key)?
    >
    > This works best with a PS/2 keyboard; an USB keyboad sometimes
    > cannot be used to interrupt the hung machine.
    >
    > If that re-enters kmdb, try a "$c" or "::stack" command.
    > Does the stack look similar to the on in the bug report?

    Hi Juergen,

    no it does NOT come to the kmdb :-(
    also now it gets stuck at :
    installing tlimod, module id 165

    if u noticed earlier on it got stuck at
    installing ata , module id 165

    how come the module names are different but the module id is 165 ??

    Should i give up , Though i don't want to give up but this getting to
    be frustrating and over here all certain people do is point to the hcl
    ..

    Any pointers pls , all help accepted over here.

    TIA
    amit
    > > -

  14. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    amit wrote:
    > Juergen Keil wrote:

    >>> Hello Dick,
    >>>
    >>> This is from the readme
    >>> 3. Seting up Operating Environment
    >>> (1) Install your PCI card and boot Solaris.
    >>> (2) Copy source and binary files.
    >>> # gunzip -cd ife-x.x.x.tar.gz | tar xf -
    >>> (3) Add hostname for the nic card into /etc/hosts file
    >>>

    >>> in case you have not understood the issue, I am UNABLE to INSTALL.

    >> And I'm not sure at all that the NIC is the root cause of
    >> these install problems.
    >>

    >>> anyways i did the following:
    >>>
    >>> inserted x86 dvd
    >>> came to GNU GRUB prompt:
    >>>
    >>> edited the default line and put the following:
    >>> kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -kdv -B install_media=cdrom
    >>>
    >>> and then pressed b
    >>>
    >>> then i arrived at the kmdb prompt
    >>> here i entered , at the prompt
    >>>
    >>> [0]> moddebug/W 80000000
    >>> [0]>:c
    >>>
    >>> then lot of scroll happened in which it said installing modules
    >>> then
    >>> 2nd last line says
    >>> load 'drv/ata' id 165 loaded @0xfxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx size 38700/2384
    >>> installing ata , module id 165
    >>> -

    >> Hmm, that could be bug 6414472:
    >>

    >> Is it possible to get back into kmdb at this point by typing "F1+a"
    >> (press and hold down the "F1" key and then the "a" key)?
    >>
    >> This works best with a PS/2 keyboard; an USB keyboad sometimes
    >> cannot be used to interrupt the hung machine.
    >>
    >> If that re-enters kmdb, try a "$c" or "::stack" command.
    >> Does the stack look similar to the on in the bug report?

    > Hi Juergen,
    >
    > no it does NOT come to the kmdb :-(
    > also now it gets stuck at :
    > installing tlimod, module id 165
    >
    > if u noticed earlier on it got stuck at
    > installing ata , module id 165
    >
    > how come the module names are different but the module id is 165 ??
    >
    > Should i give up , Though i don't want to give up but this getting to
    > be frustrating and over here all certain people do is point to the hcl
    > .
    >
    > Any pointers pls , all help accepted over here.
    >
    > TIA
    > amit
    >>> -

    Have you tried the different ACPI-settings that can be applied to the
    boot settngs ?

    Have a look at
    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thre...D=16551&#16551 for
    an example.

  15. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    "amit" writes:

    > Juergen Keil wrote:
    >> "amit" writes:
    >> > Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >> > edited the default line and put the following:
    >> > kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -kdv -B install_media=cdrom
    >> >
    >> > and then pressed b
    >> >
    >> > then i arrived at the kmdb prompt
    >> > here i entered , at the prompt
    >> >
    >> > [0]> moddebug/W 80000000
    >> > [0]>:c
    >> >
    >> > then lot of scroll happened in which it said installing modules
    >> > then
    >> > 2nd last line says
    >> > load 'drv/ata' id 165 loaded @0xfxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx size 38700/2384
    >> > installing ata , module id 165
    >> > -

    >> Hmm, that could be bug 6414472:
    >>

    >> Is it possible to get back into kmdb at this point by typing "F1+a"
    >> (press and hold down the "F1" key and then the "a" key)?
    >>
    >> This works best with a PS/2 keyboard; an USB keyboad sometimes
    >> cannot be used to interrupt the hung machine.
    >>
    >> If that re-enters kmdb, try a "$c" or "::stack" command.
    >> Does the stack look similar to the on in the bug report?

    > no it does NOT come to the kmdb :-(
    > also now it gets stuck at :
    > installing tlimod, module id 165
    >
    > if u noticed earlier on it got stuck at
    > installing ata , module id 165
    >
    > how come the module names are different but the module id is 165 ??

    These Solaris kernel modules (and device drivers) are loaded
    dynamically on demand, and whenever a module is loaded it gets the
    next available unique module ID assigned.

    It seems that either some Solaris supported hardware device is missing
    or was added between these two boot attempts (e.g. that can happen
    when you enable / disable devices in the BIOS, when when hotpluggable
    devices are added to / removed from USB or firewire ports), or some
    devices are probed in parallel and there is a race.

    Hmm, tlimod shouldn't touch hardware devices, so I guess it should be
    harmless and it shouldn't be responsible for hanging the machine.

    ata was more promising, it's the device driver needed for ide/atapi
    pata/sata devices.

    This box seems to hang quite late, when boot devices drivers have
    already been loaded. Maybe it's already running user level processes
    when it finally hangs. Is it possible to boot from the installation
    media into a shell, with boot options "-m milestone=none -vk" ?

    From that shell is should be possible to mount the ramdisk root
    filesystem in read/write mode with

    mount -F ufs -o remount,rw,nologging /devices/ramdisk:a /

    Followed by the command "devfsadm". That'll probe for hardware
    installed in your machine; and I guess this will hang your HP Pavilion
    dv5000.

  16. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    amit wrote:

    > no it does NOT come to the kmdb :-(
    > also now it gets stuck at :
    > installing tlimod, module id 165
    >
    > if u noticed earlier on it got stuck at
    > installing ata , module id 165
    >
    > how come the module names are different but the module id is 165 ??

    "Module id" is just a slot, modules could load in any order as there is
    no guarantee in which order the HW will be probed.

    It is most likely hanging on the piece of HW being probed after the last
    message that appears, namely "installing ata"...

    > Should i give up , Though i don't want to give up but this getting to
    > be frustrating and over here all certain people do is point to the hcl

    You could try booting the system from the GRUB menu with ACPI turned
    off. At the GRUB menu, choose "e" to edit the entry, then add at the end
    of the line, where the -B blabla,install-media=cdrom is:

    "install-media=cdrom,acpi-user-options=0x2"

    it just might boot, no guarantees though, but it will suck because it is
    ACPI that tells the SunOS kernel and drivers how to configure the HW,
    and when ACPI is off, the kernel and the drivers have to make a lot of
    assumptions when probing.

    Juergen, please correct me as appropriate.

  17. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    hi,

    I know have a strange issue:

    I did the following:

    When the kmd prompt appears, type the following:
    ::bp -d -n 1 attach_drivers
    :c
    npe'pcie_error_disable_flag/W 1
    :c

    the installation went thru, Network was not recognised but everything
    else was perfecto and the after the installation the machine asked for
    a reboot which i did and after that the machine is hung on identifying
    devices .????

    y so ?

    any pointers/ help/ advice.

    best regards
    amit

    Per Arne Munthe wrote:
    > amit wrote:
    > > Juergen Keil wrote:

    > >> And I'm not sure at all that the NIC is the root cause of
    > >> these install problems.

    > >> Hmm, that could be bug 6414472:
    > >>

    > >> Is it possible to get back into kmdb at this point by typing "F1+a"
    > >> (press and hold down the "F1" key and then the "a" key)?
    > >>
    > >> This works best with a PS/2 keyboard; an USB keyboad sometimes
    > >> cannot be used to interrupt the hung machine.
    > >>
    > >> If that re-enters kmdb, try a "$c" or "::stack" command.
    > >> Does the stack look similar to the on in the bug report?

    > > Hi Juergen,
    > >
    > > no it does NOT come to the kmdb :-(
    > > also now it gets stuck at :
    > > installing tlimod, module id 165
    > >
    > > if u noticed earlier on it got stuck at
    > > installing ata , module id 165
    > >
    > > how come the module names are different but the module id is 165 ??
    > >
    > > Should i give up , Though i don't want to give up but this getting to
    > > be frustrating and over here all certain people do is point to the hcl
    > > .
    > >
    > > Any pointers pls , all help accepted over here.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > amit

    > Have you tried the different ACPI-settings that can be applied to the
    > boot settngs ?
    >
    > Have a look at
    > http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thre...D=16551&#16551 for
    > an example.

  18. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    "amit" writes:

    > I know have a strange issue:
    >
    > I did the following:
    >
    > When the kmd prompt appears, type the following:
    > ::bp -d -n 1 attach_drivers
    > :c
    > npe'pcie_error_disable_flag/W 1
    > :c
    >

    > the installation went thru, Network was not recognised but everything
    > else was perfecto and the after the installation the machine asked for
    > a reboot which i did and after that the machine is hung on identifying
    > devices .????
    >
    > y so ?
    >
    > any pointers/ help/ advice.

    Are you using the Solaris 10 Update 2 release? Or an old
    Solaris Express release?

    AFAIK, this issue has been fixed in current Solaris Express releases.

  19. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    Hi,

    amit wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I know have a strange issue:
    >
    > I did the following:
    >
    > When the kmd prompt appears, type the following:
    > ::bp -d -n 1 attach_drivers
    > :c
    > npe'pcie_error_disable_flag/W 1
    > :c
    >

    > the installation went thru, Network was not recognised but everything
    > else was perfecto and the after the installation the machine asked for
    > a reboot which i did and after that the machine is hung on identifying
    > devices .????

    Add:
    set npecie_errror_disable_flag=1
    to your /etc/system file

    This issue has been solved in Solaris Express B41 but, AFAIK, not in
    Solaris 10 Update 2.

    http://blogs.sun.com/anish/entry/x64...ion_could_fail

    > best regards
    > amit

  20. Re: Solaris 10 on Intel

    Hi,

    as it is getting stuck at identifing devices at the reboot time , how
    do i edit the /etc/system file ???
    plzs

    best regards
    amit

    Jean-Francois Ndi wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > amit wrote:
    > > hi,
    > >
    > > I know have a strange issue:
    > >
    > > I did the following:
    > >
    > > When the kmd prompt appears, type the following:
    > > ::bp -d -n 1 attach_drivers
    > > :c
    > > npe'pcie_error_disable_flag/W 1
    > > :c
    > >

    > > the installation went thru, Network was not recognised but everything
    > > else was perfecto and the after the installation the machine asked for
    > > a reboot which i did and after that the machine is hung on identifying
    > > devices .????

    > Add:
    > set npecie_errror_disable_flag=1
    > to your /etc/system file
    >
    > This issue has been solved in Solaris Express B41 but, AFAIK, not in
    > Solaris 10 Update 2.
    >

    > > y so ?
    > >
    > > any pointers/ help/ advice.

    > http://blogs.sun.com/anish/entry/x64...ion_could_fail