Run Level Configuration - Solaris

This is a discussion on Run Level Configuration - Solaris ; Hi, How do I boot into the non-gui runlevel in Solaris 10 OS. I am having trouble configuring my ATI video driver Card, Radeon 200 embedded into the Intel D101GGC MOTHERBOARD. The screen goes blank after booting from a successful ...

  1. Run Level Configuration

    Hi,
    How do I boot into the non-gui runlevel in Solaris 10 OS.
    I am having trouble configuring my ATI video driver Card, Radeon 200
    embedded into the Intel D101GGC MOTHERBOARD. The screen goes blank
    after booting from a successful install of Solaris 10.
    So, currently I have booted into the console mode from "Fail Safe"
    Option, would like to stay this way, till I manage to configure my
    Video card.

    Thanks, and awaiting some help,
    Praveen.

  2. Re: Run Level Configuration

    In article <1154883219.570041.53090@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    abcpraveen wrote:
    >I am having trouble configuring my ATI video driver Card, Radeon 200
    >embedded into the Intel D101GGC MOTHERBOARD. The screen goes blank
    >after booting from a successful install of Solaris 10.

    If you're using the Xsun X server, then you might try using the VESA,
    XFree86 ATI, and Xfree86 VESA drivers.

    If you're using the Xorg X server, then please post the "Device"
    section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

    >So, currently I have booted into the console mode from "Fail Safe"
    >Option, would like to stay this way, till I manage to configure my
    >Video card.

    As root, run "/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d" and that will prevent the
    X server from running in multi-user.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Run Level Configuration

    abcpraveen wrote:

    > Hi,
    > How do I boot into the non-gui runlevel in Solaris 10 OS.

    GUI or not is in Solaris not defined with a specific runlevel. Instead
    you just disable the CDE login screen. As root type:

    # dtconfig -d

    That's it.

    --
    Daniel

  4. Re: Run Level Configuration

    John D Groenveld wrote:

    > >So, currently I have booted into the console mode from "Fail Safe"
    > >Option, would like to stay this way, till I manage to configure my
    > >Video card.

    > As root, run "/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d" and that will prevent the
    > X server from running in multi-user.

    While in failsafe mode, the OS mounts my / partition on /a
    So, I go ahead and do a su - root.
    And then run the command /a/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d .
    And then I reboot the machine.

    It has still not worked.

    Is something like "chroot" needing to be done...?

    I tried something else... I went back to the normal bootup..
    After being prompted for Root password for System Maintenance...
    I gave the command /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d.
    I got the following response.
    disable failed.
    could not remove /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin.

    I am working on 6/06 version of Solaris 10 OS
    Could I use the svcadm service to disable the GUI Mode ? if so what
    would the syntax be?

    Thanks and Regards,
    Praveen.

  5. Re: Run Level Configuration

    In article <1154902784.741961.85340@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.co m>,
    abcpraveen wrote:
    >While in failsafe mode, the OS mounts my / partition on /a
    >So, I go ahead and do a su - root.
    >And then run the command /a/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d .
    >And then I reboot the machine.
    >
    >It has still not worked.
    >
    >Is something like "chroot" needing to be done...?

    Did you try?
    # chroot /a /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d

    John
    groenveld@acm.org