How to know my current screen resolution? - Solaris

This is a discussion on How to know my current screen resolution? - Solaris ; Hi, all, I've just installed Solaris 10 x86 on my laptop. I tried Xsun server a few times but could not make it work. Therefore I switched to Xorg and, to my delight, it works. Well, the size of the ...

  1. How to know my current screen resolution?

    Hi, all,

    I've just installed Solaris 10 x86 on my laptop. I tried Xsun server a
    few times but could not make it work. Therefore I switched to Xorg and,
    to my delight, it works.

    Well, the size of the windows seems a little too big. I doubt it is not
    working at the best screen resolution.

    Before I write any xorg.conf file, I would like to know my current
    resolution. Could you please tell me how I can read the current
    resolution and color depth?

    Thanks in advance!

    Linhui Ye
    Northwestern University

  2. Re: How to know my current screen resolution?

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:33:15 -0700, yelinhui wrote:

    > Before I write any xorg.conf file, I would like to know my current
    > resolution. Could you please tell me how I can read the current
    > resolution and color depth?

    xwininfo

  3. Re: How to know my current screen resolution?

    On 2006-07-31 04:33:15 +0100, yelinhui1@yahoo.com said:

    > Hi, all,
    >
    > I've just installed Solaris 10 x86 on my laptop. I tried Xsun server a
    > few times but could not make it work. Therefore I switched to Xorg and,
    > to my delight, it works.
    >
    > Well, the size of the windows seems a little too big. I doubt it is not
    > working at the best screen resolution.

    It will default to probing your monitor for the correct size, unless
    you tell it a different size in your Xorg.conf file. So maybe you just
    need to remove stuff from Xorg.conf and rely on the autoprobing :-)

    > Before I write any xorg.conf file, I would like to know my current
    > resolution. Could you please tell me how I can read the current
    > resolution and color depth?

    Run xdpyinfo, pipe the output through more.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  4. Re: How to know my current screen resolution?

    Dave & Chris,

    Thank you both for your reply! I've got my resolution and found it is
    correct !!!

    Linhui

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:33:15 -0700, yelinhui wrote:
    >
    > > Before I write any xorg.conf file, I would like to know my current
    > > resolution. Could you please tell me how I can read the current
    > > resolution and color depth?

    > xwininfo

+ Reply to Thread