Ferrari 3400 running hot - Solaris

This is a discussion on Ferrari 3400 running hot - Solaris ; Anyone who also have their Ferrari 3400 running so hot at heavy load (say compiling MySQL) that it actually switches off? Mine does... :-( As soon as I start something CPU consuming the fan starts, after a while the fan ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Ferrari 3400 running hot

  1. Ferrari 3400 running hot

    Anyone who also have their Ferrari 3400 running so hot at heavy load
    (say compiling MySQL) that it actually switches off?

    Mine does... :-(

    As soon as I start something CPU consuming the fan starts, after a while
    the fan speed increases and its quite loud. Then suddenly it just
    switches off.

    Do I have a bad machine or is this common?

  2. Re: Ferrari 3400 running hot

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, "Thommy M. Malmström" wrote:

    > Anyone who also have their Ferrari 3400 running so hot at heavy load
    > (say compiling MySQL) that it actually switches off?


    Wow! My 3400 does run quite warm, but I've not had it switch itself
    off before. What is your ambient temperature? I've only ever used
    mine in air conditioned places, so the ambient temperature has never
    exceed 25C.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    URL: http://www.rite-group.com/rich

  3. Re: Ferrari 3400 running hot

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:17:47 +0000, Thommy M. Malmström wrote:

    > Anyone who also have their Ferrari 3400 running so hot at heavy load (say
    > compiling MySQL) that it actually switches off?
    >
    > Mine does... :-(
    >
    > As soon as I start something CPU consuming the fan starts, after a while
    > the fan speed increases and its quite loud. Then suddenly it just switches
    > off.
    >
    > Do I have a bad machine or is this common?


    You may have some dust in the heatsink. If this is the case you should be
    able to remove a lot of it by using canned air and blow from the back
    (opposite the normal airflow direction). Start gently and don't use more
    power than necessary to blow out the dust. It helped a lot for my
    Ferrari (even though my was not switching of itself it used the fan a
    lot). It seems to be a common problem with the 3400, I know a lot of
    people who have had the same problem and usually a cleaning of the
    heatsink helps. And it's also important to always put the Ferrari on a
    hard surface to get the best possible airflow under it.

    /Kjell


  4. Re: Ferrari 3400 running hot

    Kjell Högström wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:17:47 +0000, Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone who also have their Ferrari 3400 running so hot at heavy load (say
    >> compiling MySQL) that it actually switches off?
    >>
    >> Mine does... :-(
    >>
    >> As soon as I start something CPU consuming the fan starts, after a while
    >> the fan speed increases and its quite loud. Then suddenly it just switches
    >> off.
    >>
    >> Do I have a bad machine or is this common?

    >
    > You may have some dust in the heatsink. If this is the case you should be
    > able to remove a lot of it by using canned air and blow from the back
    > (opposite the normal airflow direction). Start gently and don't use more
    > power than necessary to blow out the dust. It helped a lot for my
    > Ferrari (even though my was not switching of itself it used the fan a
    > lot). It seems to be a common problem with the 3400, I know a lot of
    > people who have had the same problem and usually a cleaning of the
    > heatsink helps. And it's also important to always put the Ferrari on a
    > hard surface to get the best possible airflow under it.


    OK. Thanks for the info Kjelle. Lars Tunkrans sent me the ServiceGuide
    so I suppose I have to do some "car" cleaning... ;-)

    /Thommy M.


  5. Re: Ferrari 3400 running hot

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, "Thommy M. Malmström" wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone who also have their Ferrari 3400 running so hot at heavy load
    >> (say compiling MySQL) that it actually switches off?

    >
    > Wow! My 3400 does run quite warm, but I've not had it switch itself
    > off before. What is your ambient temperature? I've only ever used
    > mine in air conditioned places, so the ambient temperature has never
    > exceed 25C.


    Even that we've had a really hot summer in Sweden this year it's not
    more than 25C in the office. It's probably dust in my Ferrari as Lars
    and Kjelle pointed out. I'll clean it tonight and let you know.

    One interesting thing: I booted up XP on it today (first time in 3
    months) and realized that I didn't even have to do anything to get
    the fan to run at highest speed. Only having the OS up is enough to
    use up a lot of CPU... Wonder what XP does that Solaris isn't on an
    "idle" system??? ;-)




  6. Re: Ferrari 3400 running hot


    Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
    > Rich Teer wrote:
    > > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, "Thommy M. Malmström" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Anyone who also have their Ferrari 3400 running so hot at heavy load
    > >> (say compiling MySQL) that it actually switches off?

    > >
    > > Wow! My 3400 does run quite warm, but I've not had it switch itself
    > > off before. What is your ambient temperature? I've only ever used
    > > mine in air conditioned places, so the ambient temperature has never
    > > exceed 25C.

    >
    > Even that we've had a really hot summer in Sweden this year it's not
    > more than 25C in the office. It's probably dust in my Ferrari as Lars
    > and Kjelle pointed out. I'll clean it tonight and let you know.
    >
    > One interesting thing: I booted up XP on it today (first time in 3
    > months) and realized that I didn't even have to do anything to get
    > the fan to run at highest speed. Only having the OS up is enough to
    > use up a lot of CPU... Wonder what XP does that Solaris isn't on an
    > "idle" system??? ;-)


    You need to install the windows XP patch for AMD Cool&Quit
    operation to make it eqvavilent in energy consumption with
    Solaris & Caspers powernow driver.

    ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/note...r/powernow.zip

    //Lars


  7. Re: Ferrari 3400 running hot

    tunla wrote:
    > Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
    >> Rich Teer wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, "Thommy M. Malmström" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Anyone who also have their Ferrari 3400 running so hot at heavy load
    >>>> (say compiling MySQL) that it actually switches off?
    >>> Wow! My 3400 does run quite warm, but I've not had it switch itself
    >>> off before. What is your ambient temperature? I've only ever used
    >>> mine in air conditioned places, so the ambient temperature has never
    >>> exceed 25C.

    >> Even that we've had a really hot summer in Sweden this year it's not
    >> more than 25C in the office. It's probably dust in my Ferrari as Lars
    >> and Kjelle pointed out. I'll clean it tonight and let you know.


    Started to pull my precious Ferrari apart last night but stopped after a
    while and reinserted everything again. Boy what a mess. There's several
    dozens of screws to unscrew until you can reach the CPU. Remember a
    laptop I had that had everything available just under the keyboard which
    was snapped on above the motherboard. Acer must have plenty of people
    around to assemble these things... :-(

    I'll give it another try when we have some rain and lousy weather (For
    you in Sweden: It will come any time soon as I'm about to start my
    vacation... ;-))

    >> One interesting thing: I booted up XP on it today (first time in 3
    >> months) and realized that I didn't even have to do anything to get
    >> the fan to run at highest speed. Only having the OS up is enough to
    >> use up a lot of CPU... Wonder what XP does that Solaris isn't on an
    >> "idle" system??? ;-)

    >
    > You need to install the windows XP patch for AMD Cool&Quit
    > operation to make it eqvavilent in energy consumption with
    > Solaris & Caspers powernow driver.
    >
    > ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/note...r/powernow.zip



    OK. Thanks Lars.

+ Reply to Thread