installation error intel solaris 9 - Solaris

This is a discussion on installation error intel solaris 9 - Solaris ; i have an amd athlon 1.66 Ghz pc with 256 MB RAM out of which 64 MB is shared by video card I have two hard drives, 80 GB IDE (primary master) and 60 GB IDE as Primary slave I ...

  1. installation error intel solaris 9

    i have an amd athlon 1.66 Ghz pc with 256 MB RAM out of which 64 MB is
    shared by video card
    I have two hard drives, 80 GB IDE (primary master) and 60 GB IDE as
    Primary slave
    I boot from CD1 of intel solaris and after initial check i get the
    following error

    unable to mount solaris root file system from device

    disk target (0) samsung 80 gb

    on bus mastering IDE controller on board PCI bus 0 at Dev 17, Func 1

    error msg from mount:

    /pci@0,0/pciide@11,1/iede@0/cmdk@0,0:a: cannot open , no VTOC

    press enter to continue

    please suggest what could be wrong

  2. Re: installation error intel solaris 9

    gaurav wrote:
    > i have an amd athlon 1.66 Ghz pc with 256 MB RAM out of which 64 MB is
    > shared by video card
    > I have two hard drives, 80 GB IDE (primary master) and 60 GB IDE as
    > Primary slave
    > I boot from CD1 of intel solaris and after initial check i get the
    > following error
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > unable to mount solaris root file system from device
    >
    > disk target (0) samsung 80 gb
    >
    > on bus mastering IDE controller on board PCI bus 0 at Dev 17, Func 1
    >
    > error msg from mount:
    >
    > /pci@0,0/pciide@11,1/iede@0/cmdk@0,0:a: cannot open , no VTOC
    >
    > press enter to continue
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > please suggest what could be wrong

    No Volume Table Of Contents VTOC,
    means that the Solaris FDISK / FORMAT commands has not been run
    or has run but failed.

    fdisk must be run to vrite a PC DISk partition table
    this is the PC BIOS partition table with the 4 PC partitions.

    after fdisk(1M) a format(1M) must be run to write a Solaris
    VTOC
    inside the Solaris Partition created by fdisk(1M) .

    When you are running the Solaris installer on the PC
    you can rigth-click the desktop and select a terminal window
    from the small popup-menu.

    At the stage where you are partitioning and slicing up the disk in
    the GUI installer :

    start a terminal and try to run fdisk(1M) manually to see if
    it can partition the disk and then run format manually and
    se what happends...........

    By the way why are you installing the 5 years old Solaris 8
    when you can install Solaris 10 instead ?

    //Lars

  3. Re: installation error intel solaris 9

    "gaurav" writes:

    > i have an amd athlon 1.66 Ghz pc with 256 MB RAM out of which 64 MB is
    > shared by video card
    > I have two hard drives, 80 GB IDE (primary master) and 60 GB IDE as
    > Primary slave
    > I boot from CD1 of intel solaris and after initial check i get the
    > following error
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > unable to mount solaris root file system from device
    >
    > disk target (0) samsung 80 gb
    >
    > on bus mastering IDE controller on board PCI bus 0 at Dev 17, Func 1
    >
    > error msg from mount:
    >
    > /pci@0,0/pciide@11,1/iede@0/cmdk@0,0:a: cannot open , no VTOC
    >
    > press enter to continue

    > please suggest what could be wrong

    You selected the "samsung 80 gb" as the boot drive, but that drive
    is not yet installed.

    You're supposed to select the optical device as the boot drive.

+ Reply to Thread