sata connectors - problematic ? - Solaris

This is a discussion on sata connectors - problematic ? - Solaris ; Hello, I have a PC with Nforce 4 Sata connected disc drives Solaris/nevada was reporting disc R/W errors and timouts. After I re-seated all SATA connectors the problems went away. Have you had similar experiences ? //Lars...

  1. sata connectors - problematic ?

    Hello,

    I have a PC with Nforce 4 Sata connected disc drives
    Solaris/nevada was reporting disc R/W errors and timouts.
    After I re-seated all SATA connectors the problems went
    away.

    Have you had similar experiences ?

    //Lars

  2. Re: sata connectors - problematic ?

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:04:50 -0700, tunla wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a PC with Nforce 4 Sata connected disc drives
    > Solaris/nevada was reporting disc R/W errors and timouts.
    > After I re-seated all SATA connectors the problems went
    > away.
    >
    > Have you had similar experiences ?
    >
    > //Lars

    I've been using a NFORCE4 based box for about 1/2 ywar with a SATA
    connected HDD and am not having any problems with Solaris.
    Perhaps it was just a loose connection?

  3. Re: sata connectors - problematic ?

    tunla wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a PC with Nforce 4 Sata connected disc drives
    > Solaris/nevada was reporting disc R/W errors and timouts.
    > After I re-seated all SATA connectors the problems went
    > away.
    >
    > Have you had similar experiences ?

    Yeah, SATA connectors are simply put, piece of ****. They don't lock and
    offer close to zero resistance to falling out. They're up there with
    mini-DIN or PS/2 connectors for bad design.

  4. Re: sata connectors - problematic ?

    * tunla:

    > I have a PC with Nforce 4 Sata connected disc drives
    > Solaris/nevada was reporting disc R/W errors and timouts.
    > After I re-seated all SATA connectors the problems went
    > away.
    >
    > Have you had similar experiences ?

    Yes, with cheap SATA cables. Some cables have crappy connectors that
    have play and don't use the connector locking mechanism introduced with
    SATAII.

    Benjamin

  5. Re: sata connectors - problematic ?

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * tunla:
    >
    >> I have a PC with Nforce 4 Sata connected disc drives
    >> Solaris/nevada was reporting disc R/W errors and timouts.
    >> After I re-seated all SATA connectors the problems went
    >> away.
    >>
    >> Have you had similar experiences ?

    > Yes, with cheap SATA cables. Some cables have crappy connectors that
    > have play and don't use the connector locking mechanism introduced with
    > SATAII.
    >
    > Benjamin

    It's sad it took a second try to realize what a stupid connector it is.

  6. Re: sata connectors - problematic ?

    Hi I want to install Solaris 10 on SATA Hard Drive please give me the
    installation instructions

    Thanks in advance
    tunla wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a PC with Nforce 4 Sata connected disc drives
    > Solaris/nevada was reporting disc R/W errors and timouts.
    > After I re-seated all SATA connectors the problems went
    > away.
    >
    > Have you had similar experiences ?
    >
    > //Lars

  7. Re: sata connectors - problematic ?

    jayadevkumbar@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi I want to install Solaris 10 on SATA Hard Drive please give me the
    > installation instructions

    Same as on any other drive, assuming the OS recognises the drive.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  8. Re: sata connectors - problematic ?

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > > * tunla:
    > >
    > >> I have a PC with Nforce 4 Sata connected disc drives
    > >> Solaris/nevada was reporting disc R/W errors and timouts.
    > >> After I re-seated all SATA connectors the problems went
    > >> away.
    > >>
    > >> Have you had similar experiences ?

    > > Yes, with cheap SATA cables. Some cables have crappy connectors that
    > > have play and don't use the connector locking mechanism introduced with
    > > SATAII.
    > >
    > > Benjamin

    > It's sad it took a second try to realize what a stupid connector it is.

    Ok. Thanks for your input. I will try to find som SATAII
    cables,
    as the ones I have dont have a locking mechanism. Even
    though it is SATA300 I/F's

    //Lars

  9. Re: sata connectors - problematic ?

    tunla wrote:

    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    >> > * tunla:

    >> > Yes, with cheap SATA cables. Some cables have crappy connectors that
    >> > have play and don't use the connector locking mechanism introduced with
    >> > SATAII.
    >> >
    >> > Benjamin

    >> It's sad it took a second try to realize what a stupid connector it is.

    > Ok. Thanks for your input. I will try to find som SATAII
    > cables,
    > as the ones I have dont have a locking mechanism. Even
    > though it is SATA300 I/F's
    >
    > //Lars

    If you have consistent problems, swap sata cables. Some are tighter than
    others, and cracking at the connector is a common failure mode. Route your
    cables as neat as possible and if possible, secure them so they cannot
    fall/vibrate loose again.

  10. Re: sata connectors - problematic ?

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > tunla wrote:
    > >
    > > Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > >> It's sad it took a second try to realize what a stupid connector it is.

    > > Ok. Thanks for your input. I will try to find som SATAII
    > > cables,
    > > as the ones I have dont have a locking mechanism. Even
    > > though it is SATA300 I/F's
    > >
    > > //Lars

    > If you have consistent problems, swap sata cables. Some are tighter than
    > others, and cracking at the connector is a common failure mode. Route your
    > cables as neat as possible and if possible, secure them so they cannot
    > fall/vibrate loose again.

    I bought and installed SATA cables with locking clips.
    No problems as yet.

    Thanks.
    //Lars

+ Reply to Thread