Accessing Solaris data from Windoze - Solaris

This is a discussion on Accessing Solaris data from Windoze - Solaris ; Hi all, I have a requirement to access some data (just docs) that is stored on a Solaris 10 6/06 server from Windoze. I guess I could mess about trying to grok Samba, but is there anything, preferably free, that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Hi all,

    I have a requirement to access some data (just docs) that is stored
    on a Solaris 10 6/06 server from Windoze. I guess I could mess about
    trying to grok Samba, but is there anything, preferably free, that
    I can install on the PCs to make them grok NFS?

    I think they're running Windoze XP (not the Pro version); I thought
    about installing M$'s services for UNIX, but ISTR reading that it
    only works on the Pro version. Any ideas? Oh, it's not a requirement
    right now, but if the solution to this problem also allowed X window
    apps running on the server to be displayed, that would be great.

    TIA,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  2. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Rich Teer writes:
    >I have a requirement to access some data (just docs) that is stored
    >on a Solaris 10 6/06 server from Windoze. I guess I could mess about
    >trying to grok Samba, but is there anything, preferably free, that
    >I can install on the PCs to make them grok NFS?

    >I think they're running Windoze XP (not the Pro version); I thought
    >about installing M$'s services for UNIX, but ISTR reading that it
    >only works on the Pro version. Any ideas? Oh, it's not a requirement
    >right now, but if the solution to this problem also allowed X window
    >apps running on the server to be displayed, that would be great.

    Samba is very easy to get going for the basics. Far easier than any
    other solution.

    Microsoft SFU is going to be your only free NFS client. NFS clients
    are pretty funky and clunky on Windows even when you pay for them.
    In the past, they cost a fortune, now with solutions like Samba, they
    are extremely rare.

    Getting something shared out via Samba will probably take you less
    than an hour, and is very transparent to the windows clients.

  3. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:31:49 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:

    > I have a requirement to access some data (just docs) that is stored
    > on a Solaris 10 6/06 server from Windoze. I guess I could mess about
    > trying to grok Samba, but is there anything, preferably free, that
    > I can install on the PCs to make them grok NFS?

    Samba is relatively easy to configure and works quite well. This is what
    I use on a Solaris 9 x86 server for /etc/sfw/smb.conf:

    # Global parameters
    [global]
    server string = Samba Server
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    interfaces = iprb0 192.168.0.6/24
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    log file = /var/log/smbd.%m
    max log size = 50
    time server = Yes
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    os level = 65
    preferred master = True
    domain master = True
    hosts allow = 192.168.0.
    printing = lprng
    print command = /usr/sfw/bin/lpr -Praw %s
    lpq command = /usr/sfw/bin/lpq -Praw
    lprm command = /usr/sfw/bin/lprm -Praw %j
    lppause command = /usr/sfw/sbin/lpc hold raw %j
    lpresume command = /usr/sfw/sbin/lpc release raw %j
    queuepause command = /usr/sfw/sbin/lpc -Praw stop
    queueresume command = /usr/sfw/sbin/lpc -Praw start

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No

    [save]
    path = /save/save
    read only = No

    [save1]
    path=/save1
    read only = No
    [printers]
    comment = HP DeskJet 812C
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printer admin = admin, @staff
    printable = Yes
    printer name = raw
    browseable = No

    [hp]
    comment = HP DeskJet 812C
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printer admin = admin, @staff
    read only = No
    printable = Yes
    printer name = raw
    # oplocks = No

    Note that this is also a network print server; you can reduce its
    complexity easily.

    > I think they're running Windoze XP (not the Pro version); I thought
    > about installing M$'s services for UNIX, but ISTR reading that it
    > only works on the Pro version. Any ideas? Oh, it's not a requirement
    > right now, but if the solution to this problem also allowed X window
    > apps running on the server to be displayed, that would be great.

    You could also use FTP; Windows uses a BSD FTP client.

    For running X apps on Windows machines take a look at Cygwin.

  4. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a requirement to access some data (just docs) that is stored
    > on a Solaris 10 6/06 server from Windoze. I guess I could mess about
    > trying to grok Samba, but is there anything, preferably free, that
    > I can install on the PCs to make them grok NFS?
    >
    > I think they're running Windoze XP (not the Pro version); I thought
    > about installing M$'s services for UNIX, but ISTR reading that it
    > only works on the Pro version. Any ideas? Oh, it's not a requirement
    > right now, but if the solution to this problem also allowed X window
    > apps running on the server to be displayed, that would be great.
    >
    > TIA,

    Getting samba running on Solaris 10 is perhaps the easiest thing to do
    in Solaris 10.

    It already starts by default and fails to launch cause it doesn't find a
    config file. The following 3 commands will have you sharing out files
    from home directories on Solaris 10 FCS.

    cp /etc/sfw/smb.conf-examples
    /usr/sfw/bin/smbpasswd -a
    init 6

    While that will start samba and automatically share out all home
    directories for all current UNIX users, you will need to set the Samba
    password for each user. You do this by running smbpasswd for each user
    (or as root, same functionality as regular passwd).

    Neal

  5. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Neal A. Lucier wrote:
    > It already starts by default and fails to launch cause it doesn't find a
    > config file. The following 3 commands will have you sharing out files
    > from home directories on Solaris 10 FCS.
    >
    > cp /etc/sfw/smb.conf-examples

    I try to be cute and screw it up.....

    cp /etc/sfw/smb.conf-example /etc/sfw/smb.conf

    Neal

  6. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Neal A. Lucier wrote:

    > Getting samba running on Solaris 10 is perhaps the easiest thing to do
    > in Solaris 10.
    >
    > It already starts by default and fails to launch cause it doesn't find a
    > config file. The following 3 commands will have you sharing out files
    > from home directories on Solaris 10 FCS.
    >
    > cp /etc/sfw/smb.conf-examples
    > /usr/sfw/bin/smbpasswd -a
    > init 6

    No need for "init 6"
    All you need is "/etc/init.d/samba start"

  7. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > You could also use FTP; Windows uses a BSD FTP client.

    Not for what these people want to do... :-(

    > For running X apps on Windows machines take a look at Cygwin.

    WHat a shame Cygwin doesn't include an NFS client!

    Oh well, looks like Samba is my only realistic alternative. I was
    hop to use M$'s WIndoze services for UNIX, but it only runs on WIn2K
    and XPpro. As luck would have, the place I need to use this stuff
    is using XPhome. Fscking Microsoft!

    Thanks for the help, all.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  8. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > Neal A. Lucier wrote:
    >
    >> Getting samba running on Solaris 10 is perhaps the easiest thing to do
    >> in Solaris 10.
    >>
    >> It already starts by default and fails to launch cause it doesn't find
    >> a config file. The following 3 commands will have you sharing out
    >> files from home directories on Solaris 10 FCS.
    >>
    >> cp /etc/sfw/smb.conf-examples
    >> /usr/sfw/bin/smbpasswd -a
    >> init 6

    > No need for "init 6"
    > All you need is "/etc/init.d/samba start"

    Shouldn't that be "svcadm enable samba"?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  9. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:18:38 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >> You could also use FTP; Windows uses a BSD FTP client.

    > Not for what these people want to do... :-(

    It's hard enough to teach some of them how to use "drag & drop" to copy
    files over the network.

    I also have Samba running on Solaris 10 x86 and Linux servers at an
    ISP's office which do not have any print services. If you want the
    smb.conf files for those let me know.

    >> For running X apps on Windows machines take a look at Cygwin.

    > WHat a shame Cygwin doesn't include an NFS client!

    At least Cygwin is free; better than spending $$$ on Exceed.

    > Oh well, looks like Samba is my only realistic alternative. I was
    > hop to use M$'s WIndoze services for UNIX, but it only runs on WIn2K
    > and XPpro. As luck would have, the place I need to use this stuff
    > is using XPhome. Fscking Microsoft!

    There are at least 200,000 other reasons for not using their ****ware.
    But Samba does work well as a file server and is a valuable addition to
    your toolbox.

    > Thanks for the help, all.

    You have earned it, many times over.

  10. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    In alt.solaris.x86 Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > Rich Teer writes:
    >>I have a requirement to access some data (just docs) that is stored
    >>on a Solaris 10 6/06 server from Windoze. I guess I could mess about
    >>trying to grok Samba, but is there anything, preferably free, that
    >>I can install on the PCs to make them grok NFS?

    >>I think they're running Windoze XP (not the Pro version); I thought
    >>about installing M$'s services for UNIX, but ISTR reading that it
    >>only works on the Pro version. Any ideas? Oh, it's not a requirement
    >>right now, but if the solution to this problem also allowed X window
    >>apps running on the server to be displayed, that would be great.

    > Samba is very easy to get going for the basics. Far easier than any
    > other solution.
    >
    > Microsoft SFU is going to be your only free NFS client. NFS clients
    > are pretty funky and clunky on Windows even when you pay for them.
    > In the past, they cost a fortune, now with solutions like Samba, they
    > are extremely rare.
    >
    > Getting something shared out via Samba will probably take you less
    > than an hour, and is very transparent to the windows clients.

    Personally, I find samba obnoxious, and have no hesistation to purchase
    WRQ's Reflection NFS client for windows. It's far easier and you don't
    need to worry about how samba doesn't always integrate with AD like it
    should.

  11. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:18:38 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>
    >>> You could also use FTP; Windows uses a BSD FTP client.

    >> Not for what these people want to do... :-(

    > It's hard enough to teach some of them how to use "drag & drop" to copy
    > files over the network.
    >
    > I also have Samba running on Solaris 10 x86 and Linux servers at an
    > ISP's office which do not have any print services. If you want the
    > smb.conf files for those let me know.
    >
    >>> For running X apps on Windows machines take a look at Cygwin.

    >> WHat a shame Cygwin doesn't include an NFS client!

    > At least Cygwin is free; better than spending $$$ on Exceed.

    Well, I've been a very happy customer with Starnet.com's X-Win32. They
    recently came out with a beta of 8.0 which includes XDMCP over IPv6
    even!! It's totally cool connecting your XDMCP over IPv6 on Windows :P

    Plus, it has low memory footprint and no bloat compared to Exceed...

    --
    Bruno Delbono
    Open-Systems Group

  12. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a requirement to access some data (just docs) that is stored
    > on a Solaris 10 6/06 server from Windoze. I guess I could mess about
    > trying to grok Samba, but is there anything, preferably free, that
    > I can install on the PCs to make them grok NFS?
    >
    > I think they're running Windoze XP (not the Pro version); I thought
    > about installing M$'s services for UNIX, but ISTR reading that it
    > only works on the Pro version. Any ideas? Oh, it's not a requirement
    > right now, but if the solution to this problem also allowed X window
    > apps running on the server to be displayed, that would be great.
    >
    > TIA,

    I had great succuss using pc/nfs. I used the Sun package (this was about
    10 yerars ago) and it worked seamlessly. The data showed up as just
    another drive. I have not used Samba, and have not looked at anything
    along those lines for a good 7 years (I have been disabled, and am now
    just getting back into work). I believe that there are mutiple vendors
    who sell NFS for the pc.

  13. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >> You could also use FTP; Windows uses a BSD FTP client.

    > Not for what these people want to do... :-(

    why http isn't a solution?

  14. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    On 2006-07-17 19:31:49 +0100, Rich Teer said:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a requirement to access some data (just docs) that is stored
    > on a Solaris 10 6/06 server from Windoze. I guess I could mess about
    > trying to grok Samba, but is there anything, preferably free, that
    > I can install on the PCs to make them grok NFS?
    >
    > I think they're running Windoze XP (not the Pro version); I thought
    > about installing M$'s services for UNIX, but ISTR reading that it
    > only works on the Pro version. Any ideas? Oh, it's not a requirement
    > right now, but if the solution to this problem also allowed X window
    > apps running on the server to be displayed, that would be great.
    >
    > TIA,

    Surprised no-one suggested PC-Netlink, Sun's own product. I find it
    very OK, better than Samba which I have to say confuses the hell out of
    me.

    Basically turns your Sun server into a Windows box like Samba but with
    better mamangement tools than Sambads SWAT.

    In fact, I'm tempted to fish my copy out and install it, despite being
    a PC free zone, unless Ultra 20 counts as a PC, which it does, hell
    fire.....

    Steve

  15. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    In alt.solaris.x86 Gary Meerschaert wrote:
    > Rich Teer wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have a requirement to access some data (just docs) that is stored
    >> on a Solaris 10 6/06 server from Windoze. I guess I could mess about
    >> trying to grok Samba, but is there anything, preferably free, that
    >> I can install on the PCs to make them grok NFS?
    >>
    >> I think they're running Windoze XP (not the Pro version); I thought
    >> about installing M$'s services for UNIX, but ISTR reading that it
    >> only works on the Pro version. Any ideas? Oh, it's not a requirement
    >> right now, but if the solution to this problem also allowed X window
    >> apps running on the server to be displayed, that would be great.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>

    > I had great succuss using pc/nfs. I used the Sun package (this was about
    > 10 yerars ago) and it worked seamlessly. The data showed up as just
    > another drive. I have not used Samba, and have not looked at anything
    > along those lines for a good 7 years (I have been disabled, and am now
    > just getting back into work). I believe that there are mutiple vendors
    > who sell NFS for the pc.

    The choices are slim these days. As for products that actually work and
    don't look like some 16 bit turbo pascal app, it's just WRQ's Reflection
    NFS. Sun dropped their NFS client for windows years ago, after changing
    the name 600 times, sun style.

  16. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Hi,

    for only a few files I would use ssh? Avticate it on Solaris and
    download Putty for Windows. There is a SecureFile Copy Client (pscp.exe)
    and you are able to copy easyly your files.

    I would prefer this way without configuring samba or less secure ftp.

    Rich Teer schrieb:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a requirement to access some data (just docs) that is stored
    > on a Solaris 10 6/06 server from Windoze. I guess I could mess about
    > trying to grok Samba, but is there anything, preferably free, that
    > I can install on the PCs to make them grok NFS?
    >
    > I think they're running Windoze XP (not the Pro version); I thought
    > about installing M$'s services for UNIX, but ISTR reading that it
    > only works on the Pro version. Any ideas? Oh, it's not a requirement
    > right now, but if the solution to this problem also allowed X window
    > apps running on the server to be displayed, that would be great.
    >
    > TIA,

  17. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Oscar del Rio wrote:
    >> All you need is "/etc/init.d/samba start"

    > Shouldn't that be "svcadm enable samba"?

    It should, but my solaris 10 has /etc/init.d/samba ("legacy_run")
    Do Solaris 10 updates have samba under SMF control?

  18. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    Oscar del Rio wrote:

    > It should, but my solaris 10 has /etc/init.d/samba ("legacy_run")
    > Do Solaris 10 updates have samba under SMF control?

    If you did a full install of Solaris 10, you'll have Samba under SMF
    control; if you had previously installed Samba separately (prior to
    upgrading to Solaris 10), you'll have both.

  19. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > At least Cygwin is free; better than spending $$$ on Exceed.

    Very true. My long term goal is to migrate them away from Windoze
    to SunRays completely. There's nothing they do that requires
    Windoze (except one machine, which we'll have to keep around).

    > There are at least 200,000 other reasons for not using their ****ware.
    > But Samba does work well as a file server and is a valuable addition to
    > your toolbox.

    True enough.

    > You have earned it, many times over.

    Thanks, Dave; I appreciate that.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  20. Re: Accessing Solaris data from Windoze

    tkevans@tkevans.com wrote:
    > Oscar del Rio wrote:
    >

    >>It should, but my solaris 10 has /etc/init.d/samba ("legacy_run")
    >>Do Solaris 10 updates have samba under SMF control?

    > If you did a full install of Solaris 10, you'll have Samba under SMF
    > control; if you had previously installed Samba separately (prior to
    > upgrading to Solaris 10), you'll have both.

    My Full+OEM/fresh install of Solaris 10 FCS release also uses a legacy run:

    host ~ % cat /etc/release
    Solaris 10 3/05 s10_74L2a SPARC
    Copyright 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    Assembled 22 January 2005
    host ~ % svcs -a | grep samba
    legacy_run Jul_03 lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S99samba_local

    Neal

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast