Solaris 10 06/06 Companion DVD for Dummies? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 06/06 Companion DVD for Dummies? - Solaris ; Hi Folks: I've been stuck in the Windows world for several years, but I love Solaris and I want to use it for the server side of this project I'm working on. The old dog Pentium Apache and Firebird server ...

  1. Solaris 10 06/06 Companion DVD for Dummies?

    Hi Folks:

    I've been stuck in the Windows world for several
    years, but I love Solaris and I want to use it for
    the server side of this project I'm working on.

    The old dog Pentium Apache and Firebird server
    that's been running Sol 10 01/06 lost it's drive and
    now I want to re-install Solaris 10. I've burned the
    06/06 Solaris and Companion DVD.

    Solaris installed without a problem, but the
    companion no longer has that nice installer that
    helps people like me by grouping the packages into
    things like development tools and telling what each
    package does.

    I can guess at some of the packages from their
    names, but others are not obvious, for example,
    where is GCC? Is SFWddd the debugger?

    Is there a page on the net somewhere that will
    describe what the packages on the 06/06 companion
    DVD are?

    Thanks
    Larry

  2. Re: Solaris 10 06/06 Companion DVD for Dummies?

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Larry Lindstrom wrote:

    > I can guess at some of the packages from their
    > names, but others are not obvious, for example,
    > where is GCC? Is SFWddd the debugger?

    gcc can now be found in /usr/sfw/bin, but I recommend the use
    of Sun's compiler for software that isn't broken (i.e., doesn't
    rely on gccisms).

    > Is there a page on the net somewhere that will
    > describe what the packages on the 06/06 companion
    > DVD are?

    Not sure; there might be a link from Sun's Solaris page?

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  3. Re: Solaris 10 06/06 Companion DVD for Dummies?

    Larry Lindstrom wrote:

    > now I want to re-install Solaris 10. I've burned the
    > 06/06 Solaris and Companion DVD.

    I haven't looked at the 06/06 Software Companion, primarily because I
    found the 01/06 version had almost nothing on it that a "full" install
    from the main Solaris 10 distribution didn't already install.

    If you did a "full" install of Solaris 10, look in /usr/sfw and see
    what you already have.

  4. Re: Solaris 10 06/06 Companion DVD for Dummies?

    Larry Lindstrom wrote:

    > Is there a page on the net somewhere that will
    > describe what the packages on the 06/06 companion
    > DVD are?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Larry

    here is the list :-)

    SFWaalib aalib - ASCII Art Library
    (i386) 1.2,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWaconf autoconf - GNU autoconf utility
    (i386) 2.59,REV=2005.01.05.17.04
    SFWafio afio - manipulate archives and files
    (i386) 2.4.6,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWamake automake - GNU automake utility
    (i386) 1.8.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWamnda amanda - network-capable tape backup
    (i386) 2.4.5,REV=2006.05.05.05.21
    SFWasclk asclock - the AfterStep clock
    (i386) 1.0,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWastep afterstep - X11 window manager
    (i386) 1.8.8,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWbdb berkeleyDB - Berkeley Database Library
    (i386) 4.2.52,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWbrl BRLTTY - braille screen reader
    (i386) 3.6.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWcddk cupsddk - CUPS Driver Development Kit
    (i386) 1.0,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWcoreu coreutils - GNU core utilities
    (i386) 5.93,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWcprnt cupsprint - CUPS Print Suite Cluster
    (i386) 1.2,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWctags ctags - Generate tag files for source code
    (i386) 5.4,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWcups cups - Common UNIX Printing System
    (i386) 1.1.21,REV=2006.04.21.07.30
    SFWcurl curl - tool for transfering data specified with URL
    syntax
    (i386) 7.10.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWcvs cvs - Concurrent Versions System for version control
    (i386) 1.11.17,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWdb1 Berkeley DB - database library
    (i386) 1.85,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWddd ddd - GNU Data Display Debugger
    (i386) 3.3.8,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWdiffu diffutils - GNU diffutils
    (i386) 2.8.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWemacs emacs - GNU Emacs Editor
    (i386) 21.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWenscr GNU enscript - convert text files to PostScript
    (i386) 1.6.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWespk Emacspeak - GNU Emacs text to speech
    (i386) 21.0,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWespks Emacspeak SS - GNU Emacs text to speech servers
    (i386) 1.9.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWethrl ethereal - A Network Protocol Analyzer
    (i386) 0.10.5,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWexpct expect - Programmed dialogue with other interactive
    programs
    (i386) 5.39,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWfile file - file - determine file type
    (i386) 4.10,REV=2006.03.27.07.22
    SFWfltk fltk - The Fast Light Toolkit
    (i386) 1.1.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWfnlib fnlib - X11 font rendering library
    (i386) 0.5,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWftchm Fetchmail - mail retrieval and forwarding utility
    (i386) 6.2.5,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWfttse FreeTTS for Emacspeak - software text to speech
    synthesizer
    (i386) 1.1.1,REV=2005.01.05.17.04
    SFWfvwm fvwm - X11 virtual window manager
    (i386) 2.4.19,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWgawk gawk - pattern scanning and processing language
    (i386) 3.0.6,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWgcal gcal - the GNU Gregorian calendar program
    (i386) 3.01,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWgcmn gcmn - Common GNU package
    (i386) 1.0,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWgd gd - GD Graphics Library
    (i386) 2.0.15,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWgdb gdb - GNU source level debugger
    (i386) 6.2.1,REV=2005.01.05.17.04
    SFWgfind findutils - GNU find utilities
    (i386) 4.1.20,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWglob global - Source code tag system
    (i386) 4.8,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWgplot gnuplot - The Gnuplot Plotting Utility
    (i386) 3.7.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWgroff GNU groff - document formatting system
    (i386) 1.16.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWgtxt GNU gettext - utilities for software localization
    (i386) 0.10.35,REV=2006.04.21.07.30
    SFWguile guile - GNUs Ubiquitous Intelligent Language for
    Extension
    (i386) 1.3.4,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWgviz graphviz - A set of graph drawing tools and libraries
    (i386) 1.10,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWimap Imap - mail server daemon and utilities
    (i386) 2002.4,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWimlib imlib - Image loading and rendering library for X11
    (i386) 1.9.15,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWispel ispell - Interactive Spelling Checker
    (i386) 3.2.06,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWjoe joe - Text Editor
    (i386) 3.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWkde KDE - X11 Windowing Environment
    (i386) 3.1.1,REV=2005.01.06.01.12
    SFWkoff KOffice - The KDE Office Suite
    (i386) 1.2.1,REV=2005.01.06.01.12
    SFWlibsane libsane - Scanner libraries and utilities
    (i386) 1.0.14,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWlpcap libpcap - A Packet Capture Library
    (i386) 0.8.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWltool libtool - Generic library support script
    (i386) 1.5.2,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWlxrun lxrun - linux system call emulator
    (i386) 0.9.6.1,REV=2005.01.05.17.04
    SFWlynx lynx - Web browser for cursor addressable displays
    (i386) 2.8.5,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWmpack mpack - encode and decode MIME mail messages
    (i386) 1.5,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWmpage mpage - print multiple pages per sheet
    (i386) 2.5.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWmpeg MPEG Library - decode MPEG-1 video streams
    (i386) 1.3.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWmphp php - Scripting Lang. Tool for web pages (MySQL API)
    (i386) 4.3.2,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWmpydb mysqlpydb - Python MySQL API
    (i386) 0.9.2,REV=2005.01.05.17.04
    SFWmutt mutt - The mutt mail user agent
    (i386) 1.4.2.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWmyjdb myjdb - MySQL Connector/J
    (i386) 3.0.8,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWncur ncurses - new curses library
    (i386) 5.5,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWnmap nmap - Network exploration and auditing utility
    (i386) 3.50,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWnmh nmh - new MH message system
    (i386) 1.0.4,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWnpbm netpbm - manipulation of graphics images
    (i386) 10.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWoggl libogg libao libvorbis - Ogg and Vorbis libraries
    (i386) 1.0,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWoldap openldap - Open source Lightweight Directory Access
    Protocol
    (i386) 2.2.17,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWoslp openslp - SLP networked services discovery
    (i386) 1.0.11,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWpcre PCRE - Perl-compatible regular expression library
    (i386) 4.5.0,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWpftpd proftpd - Professional FTP Daemon Server
    (i386) 1.2.10,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWpine pine - Program for Internet News and Email
    (i386) 4.61,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWplotu GNU plotting utilities - libplot library and utilities
    (i386) 2.4.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWpnm2p pnm2ppa - Ghostscript print filter for HP DeskJet
    Printers
    (i386) 1.12,REV=2006.04.21.07.30
    SFWprcml procmail - mail processing package
    (i386) 3.22,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWqt qt - C++ GUI framework
    (i386) 3.1.1,REV=2005.01.06.01.12
    SFWrline readline - library for editing command lines
    (i386) 4.2,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWrsync rsync - A faster, flexible replacement for rcp
    (i386) 2.6.3.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWruby ruby - Object oriented interpreted scripting language
    (i386) 1.6.4,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWrxvt rxvt - ouR eXtended Virtual Terminal
    (i386) 2.7.10,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWsane sane - Scanner Applications
    (i386) 1.0.12,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWscrn screen - A full-screen window manager
    (i386) 4.0.2,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWscrnbrltty screenbrltty - Full-screen window mgr for use with
    BrlTTY
    (i386) 4.0.2,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWsdic stardic - Star Dictionary online translation tool
    (i386) 1.3.1,REV=2006.04.21.07.30
    SFWsdl SDL - Simple DirectMedia Layer library
    (i386) 1.2.5,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWsed GNU sed - streaming editor
    (i386) 3.02,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWsgrep sgrep - search a file for structured pattern
    (i386) 1.92.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWshar sharutils - GNU shell archive utilities
    (i386) 4.6,REV=2006.04.21.07.30
    SFWslang S-Lang library - for S-Lang language
    (i386) 1.4.0,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWslrn slrn - An easy to use NNTP based newsreader
    (i386) 0.9.6.2,REV=2005.01.05.17.04
    SFWsnort snort - open source network intrusion detection system
    (i386) 2.0.0,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWsquid squid - web proxy cache
    (i386) 2.5.7,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWsudo Sudo - superuser do
    (i386) 1.6.8.5,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWtclx TclX - TCL Extensions
    (i386) 8.3.5,REV=2006.04.21.07.30
    SFWtdmp tcpdump - dump traffic on a network
    (i386) 3.8.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWter Freeware Terminal Information - terminfo files
    (i386) 4.0.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWtetex tetex - A complete TeX distribution for UNIX
    (i386) 2.0.2,REV=2005.01.05.17.04
    SFWtnef tnef - Unpack Microsoft TNEF attachments
    (i386) 1.1.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWtop top - display information about processes
    (i386) 3.5.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWungif libungif - library used with GIF files
    (i386) 4.1.0,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWunwin UnWindows - Tools for low vision users
    (i386) 1.1.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWuudv uudeview - Encoder/decoder for encoded files
    (i386) 0.5.20,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWvim vim - Vi IMproved - a programmers text editor"
    (i386) 6.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWvnc vnc - Virtual Network Computing
    (i386) 3.3.7,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWvorbt Vorbis tools - for playing/managing Ogg Vorbis files
    (i386) 1.0,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWw3 W3 - GNU Emacs web browser
    (i386) 4.0.47,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWwmkr WindowMaker - X11 Window Manager
    (i386) 0.80.2,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWxaw3d Xaw3d - ThreeD Athena Widgets
    (i386) 1.5,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWxcpus xcpustate - display CPU states and statistics
    (i386) 2.5,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWxdelta xdelta - delta-compressed storage system
    (i386) 1.1.3,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWxfce XFce - The XFce Desktop Environment
    (i386) 3.8.16,REV=2006.04.21.07.30
    SFWxmacs XEmacs - text editor
    (i386) 21.4.15,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWxmcd xmcd - Motif CD Audio Player
    (i386) 3.2.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWxmms xmms - X MultiMedia System
    (i386) 1.2.10,REV=2006.04.21.07.30
    SFWxpdf xpdf - Viewer for Portable Document Format files
    (i386) 3.00,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWxpp xpp - X Printing Panel
    (i386) 1.1,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWxterm xterm - Terminal emulator for X Windows
    (i386) 196,REV=2006.03.26.16.24
    SFWyasr Yasr - light-weight portable screen reader
    (i386) 0.6.7,REV=2006.03.26.16.24

+ Reply to Thread